“Excellent main course!” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #61 of 363 Restaurants in Colchester
Cuisines: Contemporary, Brasserie, Bistro, Family Fare
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Here at The Old Siege House Bar and Brasserie we provide an a la carte dining experience in an ambient atmosphere at a very reasonable price. If you are looking for quality food, book your table today!
“Excellent main course!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We visited on a Sunday evening My main described as Smoked Duck Tartar was disappointing the duck was irregularly cubed and not finely prepared by knife as any tartar should be, however my partner enjoyed her Goats cheese!

We both had fish for main and again her Salmon was competently prepared however I ordered Open Seafood Lasagne and what a treat it turned out to be full of flavours and a very generous portion too! Service good, bit of a wait between course's but we were in no rush!
But for my starter would have been four (4) stars, either get it right or remove from the menu would be my advise! On second thoughts there are better ways to present smoked duck than this sorry attempt at tartar!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Holland-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Not usual high standard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The nine of us have been a number of times and always found very good service and food.
This time, Sunday lunch , however disappointed,we feel because the Manager was out until 4pm.Coats were taken and starters and wine ordered OK but there was a long wait till main course The roast beef however was so tough the three who had it could not eat it;To be fair the other mains were good. To follow, the apple crumble was good, but one of the party asked for a simple vanilla ice cream to be told this ran out a couple of days ago. A good discount was negotiated so overall we were satisfied but will have to consider calling again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Still my favourite in Colchester”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

On a horrible, cold, wet and snowy day I decided we deserved a treat. Called to reserve a table at 6, for 6.15... No problem.

We arrived laden with shopping, cold and wet. Taken straight to a table in lovely cosy spot, wet coats taken away to dry. Our waitress was charming and attentive from now until we left, she is an asset to the restaurant.

Viognier/ Chardonnay I selected was delicious and v reasonably priced. We had scallops and duck tartar to start. Both divine, scallops could have been a bit warmer.

Mains were seafood lasagne and rib eye steak. My steak was gorgeous. Seared on the outside, rare but warm in the middle. Perfect. Rather a lot of water coming out of mushroom over plate and it didn't really add much in terms of flavour. Seafood lasagne, I am assured, was very good.

Dessert. A blackberry creme brûlée and chocolate fondant with brandy and grappa ordered. Creme brûlée arrived with what I was assured was the best shortbread ever! Unfortunately chocolate fondant suddenly became unavailable and I was offered chocolate brownie as an alternative. It was ok, but did not live up to previous courses. Bland, not gooey enough, my restaurant at work serves better I am afraid. However, our waitress gave us another complimentary digestif as compensation so after wine and two brandies, I was ok about Chocolate Gate.

One thing, and it is a pet hate of mine. Please don't ask me if I want black pepper before I have even tasted my food. Just put some on the table. Can I have some salt too?! However good your chef, we all have different palates. I find it patronising and arrogant that I am not automatically given the means with which to season my own food.

Overall, will be back. Was a lovely evening.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Colchester, United Kingdom
“High Expectations but did not quite deliver this time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My family and I visited this restaurant on Sunday 3rd March to celebrate my sisters 40th birthday. Both Dad and I had read various trip adviser reviews beforehand and had really high expectations. Now don't get me wrong we had a lovely afternoon and perhaps our expectations were too high because of some of the reviews we had read. The restaurant itself is really nicely presented and well laid out with ample space around everyone but I have to say in my opinion is not geared up for families or children. My sister has a 5 month old baby and there were no baby changing facilities and when we ordered a fruit squash for our 5 year old son it was served in a glass so tall that when he took a sip through the straw it started a siphoning action and covered him in blackcurrant juice every time he finished sipping. We were sat in the window in front of a large radiator and it was quite a sunny day and as a result it was uncomfortably hot as a result but to be fair to staff as soon as we mentioned it they were able to open a small window which provided some relief. When it came to ordering we were told several dishes were unavailable which given it was 1pm on a Sunday was disappointing, once again on the theme of not being child friendly there was no child's menu or prices. A few of us chose the Brie in breadcrumbs for starter and it was stunning but for the children we ended up asking for some bread as there was nothing on the menu that was suitable or appealed to them. For main I chose Lamb shanks which were very generously sized and the meat just fell off the bone and tasted beautiful my only criticism was that it was luke warm and not piping hot. Dessert was hazelnut cheesecake and again it did not disappoint. For 6 adults and 2 children our total bill was just over £200 so was pretty good value. I have to praise the staff and management for the lovely atmosphere that they created we were not rushed through courses and were there for over 3 hours in the end and even then had to chase for the bill. I would definitely go again but next time with my wife and no children. Whilst our children loved finding the old bullet holes in the walls and the occasion of the family all being together they did not enjoy the meal as much, and we are still trying to get blackcurrant stains out of my sons best shirt.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“enjoyable experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Went with 3 others for a sunday lunch. Bit upset that the sunday menu not as variable as during the week. However although no fish available when mentioned waitress went out of her way to obtain grilled cod which was very tasty. 2 of us had the cod and the other 2 had lamb and chicken. All well presented and good flavour and tender. Varied usual deserts all well presented. Reasonable charges for food and wine

• Visited February 2013