“Mistake” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Rotherham
shropshire
“Mistake”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Bored with the 2 days a week in Premmy Inns etc I've decided to book "others" if they are the same price or cheaper and as close

Hence ... my arrival at The Brentwood

Now to be fair they had on the evening of my visit been let down by 2 x members of staff ... so things from the off were obviously "fraught"

Standing at reception for 10 mins pressing the bell before wandering through to the bar were warning signs

Having the same perso I spoke to in the bar ... appear at reception and ask if I minded waiting ... and then disappearing was another.

The arrival of Billy the manager was surreal ... read on ... but at least he gave me a key to a room ... room 2

My room was ok ... on the face of it ... but prompted by the mouldy bath and broken soap dispenser lying on the edge... I simply had to look closer.

Under the bed = riffy. On top of the wardrobe = years of dust.

I have photos ... but my Blackberry went under the wheels of a car yesterday so I cannot share.

The room was warm and the bed comfy

The Tv is so small that only RAF fighter pilots with 20/20 vision could see it from the bed

Getting up for a wee in the night was traumatic as the bathroom proved to be the coldest place on the planet that night

In the bar / restaurant things looked grim

The staff blamed the lack of staff

Everybody else waiting to order drinks or food ... or pay for food said there was always a lack of staff

The Manager is a consumate professional manager of his staff (or lack of) ... but utterly useless infront of the punters.

I have never heard so many rude / blunt / cutting comments passed to people trying to order, pay or enquire in any establishment in my 50 year life as Billy threw out that night.

"If you want to pay ... stand over there ... not here"

"What do you want? If you don't know ... go away and decide while I serve somebody else"

He was efficient ... but if the service is (according to locals) seldom better ... there is no excuse.

A couple of foreign visitors politely complained that the TVs in half the place were not showing the same football as the TVs in the rest of the place ... and that their main courses had been shoved and left in among all their dirty starter plates and glasses to the point they couldn't move. Blank look from staff ... and unapologetic "we are really busy"

On the up-side breakfast was very good and the lady (thanks blonde lady whoever you are) was polite attentive and professional

Will I stay again? Not on your nelly.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Lancaster
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

We recently stayed at the Brecon Hotel but due to refurbishment ended up eating out. We used the Brentwood a few hundred yards away, We used the Flamming Grill for our evening meal, the staff were friendly and helpful, especially Becky, The food prices were reasonable and the quality of food was no better than average. We asked about breakfast in the morning and Becky got permission for us to use the Hotel restaurant from the manager. We met Julie the receptionist in the mornng, she was very bubbly and helpful, she directed us through where we found an empty room full of dirty tables. We cleared a table for our selves and waited for the waitress, who also turned out to be Julie, she appologised and took our order, again the food was fine but no better than average. We ate our fill, paid and left. We felt a little sorry for Julie, who was not only trying too look after a busy reception desk but was also trying to look after the guests and their breakfast. Well done to both staff.

Room Tip: We didn't stay at the hotel only ate there
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Positive Points:
Full freeview tv
Spacious bedroom
Free parking
Iron and Ironing board (Although these weren't use, they are very handy)
Loads of storage space
Bath with shower
Beautiful building (exterior)
Very powerful shower!

Negative Points:
There was an awful smell coming from the bathroom when we arrived, like something had died but, sprayed a bit of perfume, it disappeared and never returned
No lifts (Or if there was, we weren't informed/it wasn't obvious)
The entrance to the hotel isnt obvious from the main road so, keep your eyes open
The pillows were uncomfortable

The pub/restaurant was being renovated when we stayed so, i can't give an opinion about this

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

My wife and I arrived here late on a Friday night, and were given a room in the other part of the hotel (i.e. not the main, older building) . Upon entering the room, there was an overpowering smell of damp. We looked around to see what might be causing it, and we found a big patch of water over by the sofa, and mushrooms growing up the wall behind it. Needless to say we complained and asked for another room - this one had stains on the bed. We left immediately and stayed at the Premier Inn 5 minutes up the road.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

Your heart sinks as you enter The Brentwood pub and restaurant part of the hotel. Dingy and depressing even on this glorious late September day.

The pub good menu is unimpressive and obviously nothing to do with a proper chef. Prices ok but the food when it arrives is obviously all out of the freezer and is only made bearable by the fact that the service is cheerful if uninspired.

Watch out for the deals on the menu. It might be cheaper to just order dishes seperately.

The chance to eat in the garden because of the good weather lifted the whole experience enormously once one had ignored the piles of unemptied ashtrays

• Stayed September 2011
Oldham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Used it as a base for our first visit to Sheffield for a swimming gala. The room was lovely, the restaurant fantastic and it was brilliant value for money for the two nights. I would definitely stay here again. My second visit to Sheffield in May I thought I would stay in the city centre and pay a bit extra for a 'posher' hotel... I won't do it in future. Would definitely recommend the Brentwood Hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Gloucester, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Easy to find, plenty of parking and hotel looks quite nice from the outside.

Booking in was slow, expected having read other reviews of this place, so I went into the bar to get somebody who came quite quickly and was very polite, courteous and helpful.

We were given room 1 which consisted of a king size bed in one room with ensuite with adjoining room containing two single beds and another ensuite.

The rooms werent a bad size and the king size had a settee. There was an ironing board and iron which is unusual in a basic hotel like this, as well as tea and coffee making facilities.

The beds were very comfortable, we thought they might be noisy as they faced the main road but they werent! The bathrooms were a generous size and had superb showers.

For the price we paid £52 for a Saturday night, we were really pleased and would definately go back.

Breakfast was extra - £7.50 english and was very nice, the only criticism was that you had to make your own tea which wasnt a problem except that the urn was not on boiling and we had to wait for ages for it to boil - I think this was a one off. Given that the breakfast although good, wasnt cheap, I would have thought that the tea and coffee could have been served at the table with the toast.

If you are looking for good value for money I would definately recommend this place but take it for what it is - basic accomodation!

It has an adjoining bar which served 2 for 1 food. We ate here and again, thought it to be good value albeit basic pub food!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Brentwood Hotel? Share your experiences!