“Friendly, accommodating - staff know how to go the extra mile” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Kingston upon Hull
“Friendly, accommodating - staff know how to go the extra mile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I've dined here on a regular basis whilst staying at the Premier Inn next door. It is a popular spot, often doing promotional offers, which mean the restaurant is often very busy.

No matter how busy it is, I have always been found a table. Janet and Maureen, senior waitresses, always manage to squeeze me in and are very reliable in their suggestions on what to order. Service is prompt and all staff are very friendly.

I have to be away early next morning and find the restaurant very efficient in getting me served and on my way. Antonio in particular is quick to order me my customary bowl of porridge, which sets me up for the day!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Fair fayre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Visited at lunch time and took advantage of lunchtime specials menu. For the money, the food was ok but certainly not very good.

Despite the place being empty, for some bizarre reason, the tables were dirty and whilst the one we sat at had no pots on it, a wipe round wouldn't have gone amiss. Take a damp cloth with you and clean it yourself.

Waitress was extremely friendly and food arrived very quickly. Had a soup & bread starter. Soup was luke warm though tasty. No harm you taking a microwave in with you, though you may get some looks!

I am sure the bread was made of reinforced concrete and had just come out of a furnace. Totally inedible without risking your teeth. Advise you to take a pneumatic drill with you.

Main meals were better. Spicy chips were nice. Bottomless soft drink was pricey at £2.45. To get your value out of this you would need to be a fish!

Would return for cheap lunchtime menu but would not be tempted to pay full price of £15+ for a steak.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Overpriced for pub food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Food good but not worth the prices charged considering it is a pub - staff though are friendly and helpful and the menu selection is quite wide

Visited November 2012
“Good food, great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I ate here whilst staying at the Premier Inn next door.
The service was excellent with staff being very friendly and efficient, my order was taken quickly and my drink arrived very promptly.
The food was good. My starter was pretty enjoyable, but the it was my main that made it worthwhile. I had ordered a steak cooked medium, and it was delivered spot on. The food was all hot and seemed pretty well prepared.
The breakfast service next day was also good, with staff again being courteous and efficient.
Overall a good experience and a restaurant I would be happy to use again.

Visited April 2013
Gloucestershire
“Expensive mass produced rubbish and very poor service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This pub is local to my family and we have always avoided going over the years as the food has always been average at best, however following a family event we decided to go for a bar meal last Thursday evening as we had heard from friends that the meals had improved recently.
We arrived at 6pm, the pub was very quiet.
The only table big enough to seat 5 adults was covered with dirty glasses and newspapers, which we moved ourselves. Despite there being 4 members of staff behind the bar doing nothing, they preferred talking to each other than acknowledging our waiting at the bar to order drinks.

When we eventually managed to order food we ordered a bread platter to share - it wasn't as described. Basically 2 thin soft, flabby flavourless bridge rolls (meant to be Italian style sticks) and 2 slices of bread covered in orange goo that was meant to be cheese - not nice and pricey for what it was at £3.99.
A sharing plate of nacho's - soso.
2 portions of potato skins with bacon and cheese - over cooked and very dry.

Mains - there were five of us and we ordered a variety of steaks, chicken skewers and burgers. All came with 'bottomless' chips and a 'wedge of iceberg with blue cheese dressing'. Steaks were rather gristly, the chicken kebab extremely dry, the burger tasteless and overcooked. The iceberg wedes had obviously been cut a very long time as they were all brown along the cut edges.
We had been told when we ordered our food that a waitress would come along and ask if we needed our 'bottomless' chip bowls refilled a few minutes after being served our meals. This was just a joke. Our starter plates weren't even cleared away after our main courses had been delivered to our table. We had to stack the plates up to one side, no-one ever came near for us to ask them to remove the dirty plates, never mind request extra chips. When we did manage to say something to a staff member in a suit, she said she worked in the hotel not restaurant and it was nothing to do with her! So much for customer service.
Needless to say we didn't order dessert and we won't be returning.

• Visited March 2013