“A very tired hotel, in need of a lick of paint - excellent staff and service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33 to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West Bawtry Road, Rotherham S60 4NA, England (Formerly Courtyard by Marriott Rotherham)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Rotherham
Ulverston, United Kingdom
“A very tired hotel, in need of a lick of paint - excellent staff and service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

By standard to many chain hotels, this Holiday Inn is very tired.

Everything about this hotel is "dated", from the layout to the decoration. Also, it has been many years since I have stayed in a hotel room with plug in heaters and no air conditioning.

That said there were some positives:

The reception staff were exceptionally polite and helpful, as were the bar staff later in the evening when the group descended on them

The hotel is clean with new pillows on the beds and white fluffy towels (always important to me !)

Breakfast was organised and plentiful.

It wouldn't be my first choice for a hotel, but its a convenient location for Rotherham, and we only paid £54 for the room inc. breakfast.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms are easily accessible and very quiet (away from the bar and events areas)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
MGRROTH, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm pleased that you found many aspects of your stay good and I am delighted to report that a major refurbishment has now started.

All 104 of our bedrooms are currently being fully refurbished from floor to ceiling in a fantastic contemporary design and they will all have air conditioning.

All bedroom corridors and the main stair case are also being completely refurbished as we speak with new décor, lighting, carpets etc.

So please try us out again in the near future and you will find a product that matches the fantastic team of staff we have in the hotel and the dated feel gone.

235 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Not a great hotel but it did its job. However, the water in the rooms is either very hot or very cold and hard to have a shower because of this. I was also given a disabled room which i did not mind, but there is a neon green light which illuminates the whole room during the night and makes sleeping hard. What also makes sleeping hard is that it is a very noisy hotel next to a busy road and doors are constantly slammed I was there on a training course for 2 weeks and did not once have a good nights sleep. The plus side was they had a swimming pool and gym but overall a poor hotel.

Room Tip: Opposite side to the main road might reduce some of the noise
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
I was very disappointed to read that you had not enjoyed your stay and I'm sorry your experience wasn't a better one. We have 2 accessible rooms in the hotel and the water temperature is lower in those rooms, for safety reasons, than in all the other rooms. This is a safety standard in most branded hotel chains.

The green light you mention is a small green bulb within an emergency light to indicate that it is working and ready for use if needed in case of a power cut for example. It does glow in the darkened bedroom in a similar fashion to a bright mobile phone screen when its on or an alarm clock radio for example, so I apologise that this disturbed you.

Unless the accessible room is specifically booked we do not normally allocate it to anyone staying multiple nights. I have been unable to identify any time in June where this did occur, to enable us to understand why this might have happened, so again please accept my apologies.

As I have been unable to identify your stay from the review, unfortunately I am unable to contact you but if you would like to speak to me, so that I may offer some kind of resolution and restore your faith in the hotel once again, then please contact me at the hotel on
01709 830630 and I would be happy to do so.
Hockley, Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We arrived late at night but were still greeted by a very polite receptionist. We asked for a twin room and were given number14 which was a 'conference suite' room. The room had two large very comfartable queen size beds , large tv and tea/coffee station. The room including the bathroom were clean and well presented .
We only had time for a quick drink at the bar but again very courteous and pleasnat seating areas with lots of room.
What a great introduction to the people of Rotherham . The hotel is in areally convenient location just off the M1 (junction 33) and only a short drive of about 15 minutes from Sheffield centre.Would happily use again if I am in that location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a fabulous 5 STAR review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be very friendly. I'm very proud of the team and they really appreciate your lovely feedback. We hope to welcome you back soon.
glasgow, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I booked here for business in Sheffield. Most of the city centre hotels were full and I knew it was some way out of town, close to the M1. And some way it was, the dual carriageway (Parkway) was pretty congested in the rush hour and you need to allow at least 45 minutes. Another option is to go one junction up the M1 to Meadowhall shopping centre and use the park and ride to get the tram (25 mins to town) or train (8 mins to main station)
However for me this was totally counterbalanced by the hotel itself. Loads of free parking. I got a fantastic friendly reception when checking in and out, and they upgraded me to an executive room with a separate bedroom and lounge. Big, comfy bed, a few freebies (mineral water, chocs, robe) and all for less than the main Premier Inn in town
The buffet breakfast was very good for £10 (you get this cheaper rate if you pre-pay)
The final irony is one of my Managers, booked at the above-mentioned Premier Inn, arrived to be told he was bumped (they had overbooked) and he had to get a taxi out to Meadowhall and back in the next morning. And they attempted to charge him the rack rate. So I will stick with Holiday Inn any time I next go to Sheffield

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a great review. The hotel has a great location just off the M1 with easy access into Sheffield and does indeed benefit from fantastic out of town parking which is so often tricky in the city centre. I'm glad you really enjoyed your stay and was pleased to read that you would stay with us again. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Last minute business plans meant I needed a hotel near the M1 and close to Sheffield/Rotherham. Chose this hotel because it was part of the holiday chain - big mistake. Bedroom = divan fabric torn and dirty, bear wires on kettle, cracked sink in bathroom and shower hose leaked at the bottom. Room faced the motorway and was very noisy due to poor glazing. Restaurant below average although bar staff friendly. Reception ok and reception area ok. Wifi didn't work in the bedroom. In general not what you would expect form holiday inn chain. Receptivity asked for my feedback on a scale of 1-10 quote 5 and she replied oh. After a silent moment she said she could the manager but I had to leave and said I would fill in Internet survey.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Gorgeous H,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations, and I apologize you were not satisfied with the level of service provided as well as the hotel conditions. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service and our amenities continually. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Porto, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

It was my first time in thie hotel and I'm very glat to let you know that it was a good option. The location of this hotel is great, allowing an easy access to Sheffield, Rotherham or other city nearby. There is car parking for many cars with many spaces free any time. Despite it was located near a busy road, the hotel is very calm, being frequented by many people on business. We stay there 3 nights with 13 friends (colleagues and master students) and all the people enjoyed the hotel. The rooms are comfortable, spacious and clean, with hard and soft pillows, as usual in this hotels chain. There are coffee and tea in the room, as well as other useful thinks (hair dryer, LCD TV, and so on). The service is very kind and the people of the reception and bar are extremely friendly. You can seat down in the bar and watch a football game relaxing with your friends, drinking a beer or a wine glass in a calm atmosphere. There are other facilities and services such us heated pool, sauna and so on, but we didn't try these facilities. The breakfast is great, allowing to select continental or English breakfast menus. There are juices, coffee, tea, yogurts, fruit, some varieties of bread, jam, breakfast cereals, milk, bacon, eggs, tomatos, sausages and so on. There are no cheese or ham. We were located at the first floor but, if you have choice to select the floor, try the 3rd floor, because the views are better. Rooms located in the front face of the hotel are better views than that ones faced to the rear of the hotel, despite the silence would be better in this last option. If you need Internet Hi-Fi connection you must pay, because this service, unfortunately, isn't free of charge. If we will come back to Rotherham, I will select this hotel once again. I strongly recommend it.

Room Tip: If you prefer the silence, you would ask by a rear room. If you prefer to see the sun by the mornin...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your fantastic and comprehensive 5 STAR review. I'm glad you all enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back once again if you return to the area.
Cambridge, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I thought I would try this hotel, as I had a meeting in Sheffield. The hotel is located one roundabout off the M1, one junction down from Sheffield. A further advantage is that you can reach Meadowhall in Sheffield without having to go back on the M1, which can be invaluable given the likelihood of accident-related delays on that road.

I had taken advantage of an advance rate with breakfast, and booked a suite, which still cost under £80 for the night. Now the definition of a suite can vary between Holiday Inns. In this case, it was a proper two room affair, with a short connecting entrance hall. Whilst the walls of the lounge were a bit bare, the room was well furnished. The bedroom was OK, and the bathroom had the BEST shower. Breakfast was the usual self-service, but cooked in small quantities, and replenished, with the pastries cooked just right, rather than burned, again as I have seen elsewhere. And, thank you! A chef who understands the concept of crispy bacon!

The downside, and the reason for the 'very good' vs 'excellent' was that the staff at dinner could work on their service priorities. If a guest requests something, it is expected that the request will take priority over laying the tables for breakfast, particularly when there are only three tables eating.

Overall, this is a very convenient and comfortable hotel. I have already booked again for my next meeting in the area in October.

Room Tip: Worth splashing out on the suite, if you are able to use advance (non-cancellable) rates.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
MGRROTH, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We have spoken to the waitress who did not immedately bring your glass of water in the restaurant as this is not our usual standard of service. When you return in October all the bedrooms will have been refurbished including the suites and we look forward to welcoming you back later in the year to experience our fabulous new bedrooms.

Been to Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33? Share your experiences!