“Shambles” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Skegness, United Kingdom
“Shambles”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I'm surprised this place can even open it's doors to the public, with history of violence in the restaurant, many complaints about food standards in previous reviews.
I thought I would try JJ's to see for myself if it was just bad press or weather it was as bad as everyone said. It was worse in my opinion
From a dingy stale smelling bar to a restaurant that you couldn't find a clean glass in or have your food on clean plates. The staff were rude and impolite.
I stayed for one week after bring made homeless.
I would have been better on a park bench

• Visited December 2013

Boston, United Kingdom
“An absolute embarassment!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I don't know where to start. Most definitely the worst restaurant I have ever been too. We went to JJ's steak house on a Friday night as a leaving meal for a very valued staff member and I can honestly say I'm ashamed that we took him to JJ's. Everything was disappointing from start to finish. We had a table for 10 of us which we booked (although we probably didn't need to as the restaurant was empty all evening which says something about the quality of food and service on display)

The chap who came to take our order was very rude and uninterested in looking after the only table in the restaurant. We were asked if we wanted any drinks, to which the waiter took the order for 3 drinks and the walked off. He came back with the 3 drinks ( 1 of which was a flat larger) and then seemed shocked that we actually wanted to order more drinks for the rest of the table.

Things got worse, all the cutlery on the table was sticky and definitely not clean. One of us ordered a lasagne and the waiter came back and I quote "we have no lasagne left, I checked all 4 freezers and we have ran out." Great quality food here!! Although the service was appalling, I was hopeful that the food would be ok and save what was so far a disastrous evening. How wrong I was.

I ordered a chicken burger along with a few others and the rest went for the steak. The chicken burgers came out all with burnt buns and what looked like a very cheap frozen bit of chicken In the middle. The menu says the burger comes with mayo and salad but there was none to be seen. The chips were undercooked and the peas were cold. To top it off, I had two tops of the bun whilst my friend had the two bottoms to the bun. It was becoming an absolute joke. I have uploaded a picture of the burger to show how disappointing the meal was. I could have made a better meal at home. The steaks came out, but the waiter seemed to have no idea whose was whose and how the steak had been cooked. I'm sure he began guessing in the end. Again the chips were all undercooked and the steaks were not cooked as asked. Hardly anyone ate their meals and the majority went home hungry. Asking for anything else like sauces etc seemed to be an effort for the waiter.

I would definitely recommend never to go to JJ's Steak house as the food is appalling and the staff are very unhelpful. As well as this, it is extremely overpriced. Paying £16 for a steak which is not cooked as asked and with undercooked chips is just unacceptable.

I have heard that JJ's used to be a fantastic steak house and was highly recommended and I find it very sad to see the demise of what used to be a reputable restaurant. I can honestly say I will never step foot in there again and recommend anyone else not to go there. I can only apologise to my colleague who we took there for a leaving do as it was a complete and utter embarrassment.

• Visited October 2013
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
“vegetarian friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My family loved their meal at jjs hotel their steak was "delicious". I was very pleased with my dish too as I am a vegetarian, the chef made me a exquisite broccoli and stilton bake along side salad, onion rings and chips Beautiful ! had a fantastic stay too with jjs hotel.

Visited August 2013
nottinghamshire
“chaos”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

if you dont take my advice , you'll only go the once, rooms small il-equiped im talking no sink plug no bulbs in the light fittings broke tv remote no bedside table ,so your keys phone watch that sort of stuff had to be balanced on the radiator, if you dont take my advice, rush straight out the door and go for a decent breakfast.

• Visited September 2013
Phuket, Thailand
“A very odd experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were greeted at the door and told to sit 'wherever you like'. The waitress explained that she wasn't really the waitress and didn't know where the menus were, but we could order from the list of steaks on the table.
Our drinks arrived: warm Guinness and gin & tonics without ice or lemon. We were told the ice machine wasn't working, but the Guinness was replaced with a cold one.
We all ordered steaks or surf & turf and our meals arrived in a reasonable time. The food was delicious and was the thing that saved the evening. Our steaks were great and perfectly cooked. Portions were just right.
A sloppily dressed young man took over service and clearly hadn't got a clue what he was doing and hadn't been trained at all. Complaints started heading his way from other tables about incorrectly cooked steaks, to which he replied 'it's nothing to do with me as I didn't cook it'. Priceless! One irate diner headed for the kitchen and began haranguing the chef. That got him nowhere so he set off for the bar to find the manager. She turned up to have a go at the waiter for his attitude, but then rounded on the customer for daring to say his steak wasn't cooked right and that 'they couldn't afford to replace every steak that wasn't to someone's liking'. Other tables were having similar problems.
Our desserts arrived, but were not correct. They had no custard, but didn't bother telling us, just replaced it with ice cream - we don't eat ice cream! It was eventually changed for another dessert.
We couldn't find anyone to pay when we were ready to leave, but then discovered our original waitress outside having a break. It turned out she was the new owner! I jokingly said she shouldn't be having a break when there were problems in the restaurant and she snapped back 'it's none of your business'.
This place makes Fawlty Towers look organised. Great steaks when they get it right, though it's not worth all the hassle and mistakes.

• Visited September 2013