“Superb, not much more I can say!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   High St, St Martin's, Stamford PE9 2LJ, England   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Stamford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Superb, not much more I can say!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My visit here was superb! This is a throw back to the coach house days with a modern touch, eat atmosphere, lovely staff and great choice of beer. Our room, with it's warped floors and old furniture was a real pleasure to stay in. My only regret is that we didn't take the dogs, who would have been welcomed not only in the rooms but also in the bar. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Thank you for a lovely review, I’m glad everything was to your liking.
I hope to see you again in the near future; dogs included who will certainly be made welcome at The Bull & Swan.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Cirencester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Travelling from London, I arrived at the dead of night and couldn't have got a kinder or warmer welcome from the night porter, who I'd managed to get hold of via the sister hotel The William Cecil, just up the street, to let him know I'd be there about 1.30am.
Shown straight to my room, it was clear it was a beautifully furnished and a well thought out space.
The bath was actually in the room, which was a little odd, but not a problem - and the windows overlooked the main street, which for me was possibly not perfect as I'm a light sleeper and so the traffic noise was a bit of a problem. Not the hotel's fault - my issue!
Very comfortable bed. Clean fluffy towels. Good television, although at that time of night all I was interested in was sleep. Clean room too - and a clean loo.
Very entertaining and warm notes about the room regarding usage of various bits and pieces - the best one was about the phone system.. 'The phone looks like it can do a load of stuff - but all you have to do is to dial zero and one of us will answer!' - or words to that effect.. The other was to encourage guests not to demand clean towels every day: 'Don't throw the towel in!' was the headline - very amusing. I liked that - it gave it a personal touch.
I didn't sleep particularly well - but this was purely due to traffic noise, and with a gorgeous old building like that you would never expect double glazing - or indeed want it. So, if you are a light sleeper, I recommend you ask for a quieter room.
Two little issues - I put in for an early morning call and some bright spark had unplugged the phone, perhaps the night before, (housekeeping possibly didn't notice when they serviced it after the previous guest) and as I had finally managed to doze off about 6am, I overslept - which made for an interesting and somewhat frantic half hour as I had a conference to attend and was panicking I was going to be late..
So, after a 'cat lick' I had to dash downstairs to a pre-ordered breakfast which turned out to be acceptable, but not particularly overwhelming, if one was honest..
The other issue was the headboard. FANTASTICALLY ornate and beautiful - a lions mask protruding from a wonderfully carved, and as it turned out, HARD wood..
Sleeping alone and being restless due to noise outside, I did quite a bit of tossing and turning and every time I did so, I was clonked smartly on the head by the protruding lion! I should have moved down the bed a bit, but didn't think of it at the time - my head is still a little bruised!
But overall it was a super place - Id recommend it to anyone and if I return to Stamford, Id most definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper - ask for a quiet room, the hotel overlooks the main street and there...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Thank you for your honest feedback and apologies that you missed your alarm call due to your unplugged phone, I do hope you made your conference in good time. I’m happy to read that you enjoyed the many quirky touches which we include in all of our rooms to help create that personal touch you mention.
I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Stamford and I will be sure to personally check the phone before you arrive!
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Stayed last November, apologies for not reviewing sooner. Stayed in the ram room, excellent, lovely room, great bathroom with walk in shower and roll top bath. Very clean. Great service in the bar and restaurant. Ate there for lunch and dinner all not notch. Gods breakfast particularly the full English but rather small kipper portion! Would recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
I’m very happy to read that you found the time to share such great feedback, it seems you had a fantastic break and I will be sure to let the whole team know they did a sterling job.
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed for three nights in June 2014. We had a lovely room in the old style, very beautifully decorated. The bed was very comfortable and hugh, the biggest we have seen in England. The only small complaint we have about the room was that it became noisy in the evenings because of the bar below. Except for that the room was perfect.
The staff was very nice and helpful and the breakfast was of good quality. We had dinner twice in the evenings and the food was delicious, actually this was probably the best restaurant that we visited during our stay in England.
The location of the hotel is good, close to the station and the centre of the town and also within walking distance to Burghley House, which was a nice place to visit.
We thought that we got excellent value for money att The Bull and Swan - the price of the room seemed cheap and dinner was of average price.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share you very kind words with us regarding your recent stay, I really do hope to welcome you back next time you are in England
Leeds, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Totally forgot to write a review for this place. Stayed just before Christmas and was a perfect location within this old village. Nearby stately home has loads of open park to walk dog and village full of nice shops and eateries. The pub is great with loads of space for diners and socialisers and the food was excellent. Staff were really helpful and changed our room to a bigger one when they realised we had a baby with travel cot. Only slight issue was the parking which was difficult to find - the gap looks too small to fit a car but it isn't. Highly recommended and would stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sunshine Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Compared with other establishments in the area, the Bull and Swan represents excellent value. The rooms are comfortable and well equipped, the staff couldn't have been more helpful, the ambience hard to beat and the food excellent. Situated in the heart of town, with its own parking at the rear, this is an Inn of character with an interesting history. Highly recommended on all counts.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Thank you for such a kind review, I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay in our fantastic location; I hope to see you again next time you are in the area.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed for one night in Room 1, a large spacious room with decent facilities although some of the décor is perhaps a little sub-par. We could have absolutely no complaints about the service and food (we ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel and really enjoyed both) and had no problems at all with noise despite our room facing the road (they have secondary glazing). An enjoyable, relaxing stay in a good standard pub hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
James C, Manager at The Bull & Swan, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Thank you for your feedback, I’m sure the entire kitchen team will be buoyed by your kind words regarding the food you had during your stay. I’m also pleased to see that you weren’t disturbed by any noise from the road.

Been to The Bull & Swan? Share your experiences!