“Love it here” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Stamford, United Kingdom
“Love it here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We only live a short walk away so are fairly frequent visitors for lunch and very frequent visitors to the attached butchers. The service can be slow, but I believe each meal is cooked to order and I like the relaxed atmosphere and being able to take a long, leisurely lunch. The food is wonderful and the staff mostly helpful and courteous. They cater for my dietary requirements and there's always a good selection of regular menu meals and specials. They also serve delicious raspberry and Sicilian lemonade. Highly recommended and excellent value for money.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Generally average: poor response to complaint”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

The ambience was pleasant, as were serving staff. Lunch took ages to come, but at least it was piping hot. However, quality of food indifferent given the glowing recommendation the staff had made when I rang about another restaurant in the village. The sticky toffee pudding bore no resemblance to any I have had before and was miniscule for the price while swimming in a sickly mess of custard and sauce. However, when I drew the waitress's attention to something in the milk jug her response was not an apology, but she would tell the kitchen to be more careful. No attempt to take it away and replace. My guest commented on this response (she is a professional caterer) and I returned to speak to the manager. His response was casual and defensive. I had hoped this would be a place to visit regularly when meeting relatives half way. Sadly I don't think so and that is a shame.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Just popped in for Sunday lunch had an excellent meal and the service was fantastic. Will certainly be coming back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Leicestershire, UK
“NOT family friendly”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

Having ordered two strawberry teas and drink etc for our four year old, we tried to sit in the orangery. We were rudely told children are not allowed in there as they run around. This being our first visit we were very put out as we ended up sitting in the dark cafe area, looking longingly at the sunny orangey. It wasn't just the fact they didn't let children in there, it was the rude way we were told. Not very welcoming and we certainly won't be going back- which I'm sure they will be pleased about. Another family tried to sit in the orangery after us -and they were quickly shooed out! Disappointing. They clearly don't like children so maybe they should advertise as such.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Quite nice but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I have been here a number of times over the years and really think they have done well with improvements to the place creating a nice place to come for a browse and something to eat and drink. However, I must say I have never had a decent coffee there, which is a shame! Cups are small for the price they charge and the quality is not up to scratch. Will be going elsewhere next time for a good coffee. Also have a bizarre system of making you go through the shop to enter the coffee shop which we found abit odd! Service can be abit hit and miss at times too!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere