“Nice food nice service nice setting” 4 of 5 stars

+44 1780 750750
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The George Hotel Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 94 Restaurants in Stamford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A magnificent oak-panelled space is the fine dining setting at The George Hotel of Stamford, one of England's greatest coaching inns. A mix of regular locals and hotel guests can always be found relaxing at bare oak tables beneath an eye-catching hand-painted ceiling. In summer, or on mild nights, they like to sit outside under the heated canopy in the ivy-clad courtyard. Open for grand lunches and dinner, the George Hotel Restaurant serves traditional yet imaginative English dishes, specialising in seafood. Lighter daytime dishes such as Dover sole are superceeded at night with heartier meals such as rack of lamb with fresh herbs and redcurrant jelly, and roast English beef carved at the table on a silver trolley. Accompanied by traditional trimmings, of course.
St Albans Herts
“Nice food nice service nice setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We arrived at 3pm just missing the roasts, however it was a good miss as soon as we'd sat down we were offered some fresh wRm bread and drinks were ordered, we both had calves liver which was superb and the green veg was cooked to perfection, well served and very quick. I would recommend it.g

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Okay ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Went for sunday lunch - prepared to push the boat out . Lunch in the garden room- service okay- good - drinks menu limited. If you want an aperitif of any interest or character... Noilly pratt, Punt e mes etc ( forget it... / never heard of it here). food was okay - nothing to eulogise about -seemed a bit canteenish. Given the price I came away quite disappointed overall. Family have gone regularly on business and for pleasure but feel they are resting on a name. Prefer Clarkes in Peterborough striving & food better value.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Nice setting, good atmosphere, food slightly disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Decided to go here for lunch. greeted very well, three places to choose from but we elected the York bar. Nice little sort of room with plenty of history and setting. Staff were attentive, friendly and efficient. Ordered the steak sandwich which was reasonable but when it arrived was not completely hot. I had to ask for mustard etc...The chutney was good and the crisps that came with it tasty, but a lot of tomato, too much. For me the food could have been better, felt a bit of a damp squid to a lovely setting and room. Probably wouldn't go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lincolnshire
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Since my last review of the George Hotel's restaurants I have visited the Garden Restaurant on more than one occasion and have had very pleasant experiences. However, when I visited recently I was very disappointed with both the food and the service.

My main course of Duck Confit consisted of a huge amount of salad leaves in a tasty dressing, but with very little duck which was shredded and mixed in with the leaves, making it difficult to find. I left half of it without comment and the waiter did not ask whether everything was OK or not. I was willing to accept that I had perhaps chosen unwisely from the menu and decided to treat myself to treacle tart. This was a very solid, almost hard, tart and was barely warm with very little treacle taste. I did eat it , but didn't enjoy it. My husband's main course of lamb and his cheese course were fine. We then decided not to have coffee as I was feeling let down.

We asked the waiter for the bill, but were left sitting at the cleared table for at least ten minutes before deciding to go tthe desk without the bill. In the meantime waiting staff were busy serving other guests and standing talking to them but studiously avoided looking in our direction. We stood at the desk for quite a while and then a waitress came up with menus and tried to show us to a table. When that was sorted out, I decided to mention how disappointed I was and she called over a Manager. The Manager explained that had I mentioned the lack of duck at the time I would have been offered more. She also said that the treacle tart was served at room temperature, but if this was the case it must have been microwaved from frozen because it was served slightly warm on the outside and cold in the middle. She took the cost of the tart off the bill.

I will visit here again as I have had good experiences in the past and I hope that this is just a one-off disappointment. I don't usually give places a second chance! I would have rated this visit poor if the Manager had not acknowledged the problems and gone a little way to addressing them.

Stamford, England, United Kingdom
“As good as it gets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed at The George several times while looking for a new place to live, now that we are living here we have eaten in all of the restaurants, had morning coffee and afternoon teas, including the cream tea, every time has been a very pleasant experience.

• Visited December 2013