“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

+44 1780 750750
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The George Hotel Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 93 Restaurants in Stamford
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: A magnificent oak-panelled space is the fine dining setting at The George Hotel of Stamford, one of England's greatest coaching inns. A mix of regular locals and hotel guests can always be found relaxing at bare oak tables beneath an eye-catching hand-painted ceiling. In summer, or on mild nights, they like to sit outside under the heated canopy in the ivy-clad courtyard. Open for grand lunches and dinner, the George Hotel Restaurant serves traditional yet imaginative English dishes, specialising in seafood. Lighter daytime dishes such as Dover sole are superceeded at night with heartier meals such as rack of lamb with fresh herbs and redcurrant jelly, and roast English beef carved at the table on a silver trolley. Accompanied by traditional trimmings, of course.
Lincolnshire
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Since my last review of the George Hotel's restaurants I have visited the Garden Restaurant on more than one occasion and have had very pleasant experiences. However, when I visited recently I was very disappointed with both the food and the service.

My main course of Duck Confit consisted of a huge amount of salad leaves in a tasty dressing, but with very little duck which was shredded and mixed in with the leaves, making it difficult to find. I left half of it without comment and the waiter did not ask whether everything was OK or not. I was willing to accept that I had perhaps chosen unwisely from the menu and decided to treat myself to treacle tart. This was a very solid, almost hard, tart and was barely warm with very little treacle taste. I did eat it , but didn't enjoy it. My husband's main course of lamb and his cheese course were fine. We then decided not to have coffee as I was feeling let down.

We asked the waiter for the bill, but were left sitting at the cleared table for at least ten minutes before deciding to go tthe desk without the bill. In the meantime waiting staff were busy serving other guests and standing talking to them but studiously avoided looking in our direction. We stood at the desk for quite a while and then a waitress came up with menus and tried to show us to a table. When that was sorted out, I decided to mention how disappointed I was and she called over a Manager. The Manager explained that had I mentioned the lack of duck at the time I would have been offered more. She also said that the treacle tart was served at room temperature, but if this was the case it must have been microwaved from frozen because it was served slightly warm on the outside and cold in the middle. She took the cost of the tart off the bill.

I will visit here again as I have had good experiences in the past and I hope that this is just a one-off disappointment. I don't usually give places a second chance! I would have rated this visit poor if the Manager had not acknowledged the problems and gone a little way to addressing them.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

Stamford, England, United Kingdom
“As good as it gets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed at The George several times while looking for a new place to live, now that we are living here we have eaten in all of the restaurants, had morning coffee and afternoon teas, including the cream tea, every time has been a very pleasant experience.

• Visited December 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Dover Sole heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Sandi and I wanted a treat with no cooking or washing up after busy Christmas and New Year and a change from Turkey and Ham.

Dover Sole at the George beckoned.

What a treat. Combined with a bottle of Boillot Puligny Montrachet this was one of the most delicious meals we had ever eaten. Starters and puddings were also excellent. Do try the jellies, they sound a bit boring but are exquisite. This time it was orange jelly - absolutely superb.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Sumptuous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

The town of Stamford is an absolute gem and The George Hotel shines brightest of all. We visited the town and the hotel for the first time in early January and wondered how we had managed to miss this superb place, given the number of times we had hurtled up and down the nearby A1. The town is a delight: beautiful buildings in honey-coloured stone making it a real pleasure to wander around and spot the many different attractions. Lunch in The George was the absolute pinnacle. The hotel was still dressed in all its Christmas finery and the buzz of appreciative clientele was palpable. We lunched late, around 2pm, but the welcome and service were spot-on. The staff were friendly and attentive without overdoing it. I didn't have the roast beef but, given the way in which it was served, this was a regret! My meal of neck of lamb was excellent but I envied the precision and professionalism with which the roast beef arrived on a plate! This town and this hotel are places we can't wait to re-visit. Thanks to all concerned!

Stamford, United Kingdom
“A Christmas Tradition”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

A group of friends, most of whom work for themselves or run their own companies, went to The George on Christmas Eve as their 'works party'! It was far busier than I remember, and we had to wait just about an hour for our table. However, once we were seated, the staff were their usual efficient selves. The food was mainly very good - although I must admit I was slightly intrigued by their treatment of the onions in my liver veneziana - and a bit disappointed with the quantity (lack of) of liver and no vegetable accompaniment. A lot of local people criticise this place for being expensive - and it certainly isn't cheap, especially on the wine front - but as with many French establishments you are paying for the atmosphere. They need good competition to keep them 'honest' but I would never want to see Stamford without The George....

• Visited December 2013