“Very poor, dirty and NOT child friendly” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
West Midlands
“Very poor, dirty and NOT child friendly”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We went to the boathouse in early dec 2012 for my nephew's 26th birthday. There were 6 adults and 1 12month old in our party. This restaurant is in a beautiful location and has so much more potential, however there are a few points that really need addressing! I can't really complain about the service, as the food was fairly quickly brought out even though they were really busy. However, there ends the good points!!! 1. The portion size is very small, even though it was 3 courses for £19 you would expect a little more than two thin slices of beef, or a small dried out baked piece of cod! 2. We were sat by the door and as such was constantly crowded round by other people waiting for their tables. It was very very claustrophobic and I couldn't wait to get out of there! Not very good considering we probably would have spent more time there and had a few more drinks before we left! 3. The toilets were disgusting! The room was dirty, it smelt and the hand towel looked like it had been there for weeks. There was a hand drier in there, but it surely must be an antique as it was dirty and covered in rust. I didn't even try to see if it worked for fear of being electrocuted! 4. And this is why I'm writing this review! They had very kindly provided us with a nice little high chair attachment seat for my 12 month old daughter to sit on. However, when I took my daughter to change her nappy, I found no baby changing facilities. When I asked where I could take her I was taken through the kitchen (hmmmm, questionable hygiene in there too!) and taken into a cold store room at the back. There I found a couple of old manky chairs and an ironing board! So there was my changing table. I have a back problem, so changing her on the cold floor wasn't an option.. So the ironing board it was then! Not easy or at all safe with a 12 month old wriggly baby!!
Take from this what you will. This place always seems to be busy and it solely relies upon its reputation. I for one will never be going back there again!!

Sutton Coldfield
“Extremely disappointing Sunday lunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Invited friends for the weekend and arranged to cook myself on Saturday night but have a treat out at the Boathouse for Sunday lunch. After a very enjoyable meal at home I was bitterly disappointed with every part of our experience at the restaurant. The staff were young and inexperienced with the order being taken by a girl chewing gum. Starter was cold with undercooked bread and the rest was ordinary and basic. It was embarrasing to take other people for such a poor meal when we all eat out regularly and expect to enjoy the food served. I would NOT recommend the Boathouse as a venue.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Uninspired and unwelcoming.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Poor Sunday lunch. Went with friends and we were very disappointed with The Boat House. A gum chewing waitress eventually took us to our table after a wait whilst they sorted out our booking. Meal was indifferent, service even more so, though to be fair we were give a complimentary drink after our bread was so long being cooked that our soup has turned cold before it came to the table. The water we asked for never did reach the table. We won't be returning.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“Bad Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Due to the superb location of the Boat House I called to enquire about hiring the venue for our wedding reception. I was told by a very rude young member of staff that they were far too busy to talk to me. When I asked if she could pass on my details to the manager she again replied they are too busy serving food. I asked when would be an appropriate time to call back to which i was told tomorrow. Needles to say I did not bother calling back.

• Visited November 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A little bit disapointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

After looking forward to going for a number of weeks I was disapointed. Service was lack lustre having to always catch their attention. Food quality not great, could have been a lot better. Will not be in a rush to go back which is a shame.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere