“Great start to the New Year!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #108 of 168 Restaurants in Sutton Coldfield
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Atherstone, United Kingdom
“Great start to the New Year!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Decided to do something different for New Years Eve this year and managed to book a set menu with entertainment evening at the White Horse, very good decision! The welcome was very warm and friendly and the 'pub' festively decorated. The choice from the set menu was excellent and the food was to die for!! beautiful fillet steak cooked to perfection! The atmosphere was lovely with a mixture of ages and this was dealt with expertly by the DJ. Unfortunately we didn't arrange the evening very well, with me driving and being unable to have a drink, so we didn't stay to see the new year in, which we have already decided we will do next year with a taxi ordered!! Thanks to Aimee our waitress who made our evening special!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Whole Family post Christmas meal out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Went with parents and family with children aged 2-17. The good was really good with one caveat which was trying too hard with young children's food which was a bit rich and with excessively salty chips. I had the festive 3 course deal and it was delicious and not bad value at £20. The big complaint was the appalling time it took between courses. The starters came fairly quickly but then long waits for mains and then for puddings so that in time it took getting on for 3 hours to eat and this was when it wasn't particularly busy. So high scores for food, staff were really friendly but have to mark down for service because of time took. That meant young children became tetchy.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Stockport
“A good example of a pub restaurant chain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I had one of the pies. Despite the puff pastry (am I the only person hankering after a pie made with shortcrust pastry?) the filling was tasty and generous. I upgraded to the thick-cut chips which were also good, as was the vegetables. This was washed down with a couple of pints of UBU bitter, which was served in excellent condition. Service was polite and timely too. I will definitely look out for other pubs in the Vintage Inns chain, I hope they all meet the standard of the White Horse.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“DISASTER”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The staff were pleasant and friendly. The quality of the food was a disaster. My husbands steak was small and not good. very full of stringy sinue. I ordered chicken gougins as a main. The flatbread was sohard I could have used it to resole my shoes. I had one half of a small tomato and three rocket leaves. The chicken was dry and overcooked. My chips did not arrive until we prompted a waitress . We left without either dessert or coffee

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Kingsbury, United Kingdom
“Too dry to swallow”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Visited early evening on a Tuesday night. Ordered Wild Boar and Chorizo burger which turned out to be an appalling choice. It was so dry I could barely swallow. Tasteless. No garnish and the smallest slice of tomato didn't help. Served with a slaw of dry cabbage that had already begun to turn brown. A few bog-standard chips did nothing to compensate. Refused to pay. Won't go back.

• Visited October 2013