“They made our "Big Day" Perfect...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Brook Marston Farm Hotel

You added Brook Marston Farm Hotel to your Saves list
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dog Lane | Bodymoor Heath, Sutton Coldfield B76 9JD, England   |
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“They made our "Big Day" Perfect...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

When my fiancee (now my wife) told me that she had chosen Brook Marston as the venue for our wedding, I didn't think much of it... I mean, what baby wants, baby gets, right...?

When I first visited (6 months before the wedding), I saw the beautiful English Countryside location, and was quite impressed. Upon seeing the old architecture of the building, I was a little concerned (as I prefer more modern designs), but the style of the building grew on me. It is quaint, quirky and feels more welcoming than a modern building ever could. My original thought was that it could do with a bit of modernisation, but then I realised that would detract from the entire feel of the place. It would lose the warmth and comfort that you feel.

My first visit, I decided to dine at the restaurant (as I find this one of the key areas of any hotel), and was much more impressed than I expected (and I expected it to impress me!). The food was well prepared, well presented and tasted great. As an ex-chef myself, to say I was impressed was an understatement, and to be able to add a tender and tasty steak to your meal for £2.50 is just superb.

Upon the second visit (to sample the food for the wedding) I found their chicken breast to be so moist and tender, that we decided on it instantly. The red wine sauce was to die for! Vegetables were steamed and still crisp, which is great, and the presentation was perfect.

The food I experienced was something to be expected from a Michelin Starred restaurant (and I have had some experience in this).

Now on to the service. This was quite simply the greatest asset that this hotel has. The staff are friendly and welcoming. They are never too busy to help you, and always have answers to your questions.

My wife and I never had any problems, due largely to Simon, the assistant manager. If you stay here, then ask for him. He is massively affable, highly knowledgeable and simply put, the most helpful person I have ever met on a hotel staff. The way he managed our wedding on the day, made it run smoothly, and everyone mentioned how helpful he was. I cannot stress enough that I hold this man personally responsible for the fact that NOTHING went wrong on our wedding day. How many people can say that...?

The marquee that was used was for the dinner and the reception was a great space. Light and airy, with some great decorations provided by the hotel. As we were eating in January, we were worried about the cold, but the heaters built in to the marquee were great for keeping my new wife warm and not complaining about the cold (which she does, a lot... even in July...).

The meals were the same high standard we experienced when there was just two of us. This is remarkable, as their chefs managed to put the same quality into a meal for 56 people, as they managed for two people. Also the way the desserts were presented to the top table was amazing. They iced the name and title (Danyal - Groom, Alexandria - Bride, etc.) of the people on the top table onto the serving plates. This was not expected, but another example of how Brook Marston pays attention to detail.

The rooms were nice. The beds comfortable and the linen clean. Pillows were good (one down, one fibre). The bathrooms could do with a little modernisation, but there is nothing that could prevent you from having a comfortable stay. Water pressure and temperature was excellent. We did not use the TV, but it was there if we had wanted it. Tea and coffee facilities were clean and ample.

I look forward to visiting again, and again, and am especially looking forward to taking my wife back here for our anniversary meals.

Danyal and Alexandria Manoochehri
Wedding Date: 4th January 2014

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard have a great view... :) If you are with elderly/disabled guests, yo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Visited Brook Marston Farm for Christmas lunch with ten of my family. The service was very slow, the staff seemed unhappy and uninterested, my father had soup which was almost inedible, the bread was dry, the vegetables appeared to be cooked from frozen. There was absolutely no atmosphere, not even any background music! Never going back!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on the occasion of my son's wedding. Indulged in a family get together at the Party Night on the Friday which was a rousing success. Could not fault the food, service and as a bonus quality of disco.
On the Saturday I have nothing but praise, especially for Simon, for the service and attention to detail we received
Overall I have very happy memories of my stay especially as it was such an important family event
Thanks to all involved in making it so special

Room Tip: Due to hotel not having lifts if, like me, you have mobility problems ensure a ground floor room is...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Lichfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Had a meal with living social voucher deal and experienced top class food and service. Good choice on the menu and very well presented. There were two log fires which added to the ambiance too and the waiter was exceedingly helpful. Well worth a visit.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Staff are brilliant, couldn't do enough to make our stay and the whole wedding experience ( for our friends) go so well.
Rooms are clean and tidy, decor needs a bit of TLC but otherwise brill.
Would definitely recommend.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
DUmmat, Director at Brook Marston Farm Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
I am so pleased that you enjoyed the wedding and your stay with us at the Brook Marston Farm Hotel . I will , of course, pass your kind words on to the all staff and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel very soon .
Best wishes for Xmas and the New Year 2014 from Brook Hotels .
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Went to a Charity Christmas Ball based in 2 marquees? the event was excellent with the exception of the food which was barely warm and having the 250 guests split into two. The female toilet facilities needed to be bigger.

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking a moment to write a review following your recent Xmas function with us and I am delighted that you found the event to be "excellent " ! I hope this has put you in festive mood in the lead up to Christmas .

Despite the fact that this was a large function there is no excuse for any of the food not to arrive to the tables hot . Please accept my sincere apologies for this . I have, of course , passed this feedback onto the General Manager to discuss with both Chef and his restaurant team .
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Stayed here again, but wouldn't after the treatment we got from the so called team behind the desk that greeted us. We first came here for our 40th, and got a lovely, friendly chap whom was head of the front of house. Can't remember his name - Mark I think. So kind, helpful. Just couldn't do enough for us. This time, I went down to reception for the wi-fi code. A scour faced old woman came from the back office, and you could just tell she didn't want anything to do with us. I ask where Mark was. To my horror, she then started telling me that he had only lasted a month, and been sacked. All the reasons why, and smiling as she told me. She then told me what everyone else thought of him that worked there. I couldn't believe my ears. He was lovely, and knew how to meet and greet guests. He should be running the place. I won't be coming back here ever again, unless they bring him back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
DUmmat, Owner at Brook Marston Farm Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Despite your favourable rating of the Hotel I am extremely sorry to read that on this occasion you were not happy with the Front Desk team . As you can appreciate many staff come and go in the Hospitality Industry for a for a number of different professional and personal reasons and I am disappointed that your review this time judges the hotel on the absence of a previous member of staff .
It is obviously very important that our front desk are friendly ,approachable and professional and whilst you have not outlined specifically the way in which this was lacking at the time I will pass your comments on to the General Manager to raise with all his team for the future. I do apologise for your disappointment in the level of customer service you received on this occasion .

I would like to add that this is not a complaint we usually receive in relation to the very strong Reception staff at the Brook Marston Farm Hotel .

I would, of course ,like to see you return to the Hotel in the future and if you would like to contact me on denise.ummat@brook-hotels.co.uk or via our website I would be happy to personally manage your return with the Reception Team to ensure a warm welcome and comfortable stay .

Been to Brook Marston Farm Hotel? Share your experiences!