“Is it just me?” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Taunton
Bedford, England, United Kingdom
“Is it just me?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

A nice place in a good location. It is a really nice hotel, though I'm not sure about the layout of the place. There's lots of corridors and twists and turns all over the place. I somehow seemed to go up one staircase and return down another every time.The signage is a bit lacking to be honest, but that's not too concerning. My room (37) was pleasant enough, nice and clean and tucked away at the top of the hotel, though the constant hiss coming from the bathroom plumbing did get rather annoying toward the end of my stay. The real blight on my visit happened when I decided to treat some clients to dinner in their restaurant. It is reputed to serve excellent food, though my experiences left a little to be desired. All was going well. We started with some good cider and beer served in a pleasant bar and generally a nice vibe about the place. One of my expected guests hadn't turned up yet so our table reservation was moved to a later time without fuss. The reception staff were being extremely helpful in making sure the arrival of my second guest would be announced. Once 9pm came, we decided to eat without him and food was ordered. Starters were great. My main course however wasn't so good. It was then that an incident occurred with an extremely rude waiter, who's only response to my complaint that my steak was very over cooked was "Oh. That's a shame" before smirking and walking away. I looked at my guest then back at the retreating waiter then back at my guest. Both of us were aghast. I couldn't believe it. I was quite enraged. So much so that I couldn't leave it. I followed him to the bar where I proceeded to berate him for such appalling service, only to be greeted with a shrug and the statement "I didn't think it was that important". I asked to speak to the manager who was in turn asked to come and deal with me.To be fair, the duty manager (Richard I believe) did his best to rectify the matter, but not before walking past me twice on what must have been more important errands, leaving me to gently simmer in the middle of the bar while my over cooked steak went cold. When he finally decided to address me it was by opening with a slightly derogatory "Is there a problem, mate?". Mate? Really? This sent my ire to all new heights by which time there was little he could do to pull the situation round. I was now far too livid to be reasonable and all too suddenly I was the red faced man standing in the middle of a crowded bar, shouting at Richard about how appalling his service was. All very embarrassing really! His eventual offer to cook me another steak was probably the right thing to do, but he failed to see that it was no longer about the steak. It was about the treatment I had received and as much as I told him that all I wanted to do was return to my table and continue my meal he just kept offering me that other steak. I sat back at my table and tucked into my now slightly warm steak only for the chef to come out and once again offer to cook me another steak. By this time my guest had eaten his food (which was delicious apparently) and I just wanted to be left alone. In his defence, Richard did take our wine off the bill, but quite honestly I would rather have paid the £14 for the lovely wine I had and not the £18 for the disappointing steak, but hey ho. Perhaps I over reacted. Perhaps I expect too much. Perhaps I'll try another hotel. Or perhaps I'll give us all another chance to make it work. After all it was only that one small issue that ballooned out of all proportion. Otherwise it really was a great place! (Breakfast service by same waiter was a tad frosty though) :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your recent review however I can only apologise for your experience in our Restaurant. Please may I assure you that this is not our usual standard and could I kindly ask you to contact me directly so that I can be given the opportunity to resolve the matter.

We do very much appreciate your business and I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Torquay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The hotel and room itself was clean and well presented while the staff were pleasant, friendly, eager to help and courteous. We got the room for one night only and it was a bargain at the price. Shame that couldn't be said about the food and drinks which are (were) overly expensive for what is basically a 'boutique' type hotel in a small town in Somerset. If I was in central London I would reluctantly expect to pay £4.50 for a pint of San Miguel, but not here. I also noticed that a couple of sausages and mash (although typically wordily dressed up to not seem to be sausage n mash) was about £12.

Good value room but I'd like cheaper lager next time please!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we were pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. We do offer various deals for accommodation, food and beverage and we want our guests to go away with the experience that overall they have had good value for money. May I confirm that a pint of San Miguel is £4.10 and not £4.50 and our famous Sausages and Mashed Potato is £9.95 and not £12.50 as stated. We offer rooms from £60 online, a full English breakfast from £5.95, an Early Bird Dinner from £13.95 for two courses or £15.95 for three courses and finally you can enjoy a bottle of wine to take away from £5.95. We do very much want to offer our guests good value for their money.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The bed in our room seemed to slope from the sides to the middle - it was difficult to get comfortable. Sound insulation between the rooms was poor. The shower and soapdish fixings in the bathroom both needed attention.

Breakfasts were great!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review and constructive comments further to your recent stay with us. We have just launched our new concept room which has been received well as part of our ongoing refurbishment programme. Since your stay with us we have replaced a couple of beds and our maintenance have given attention to the bathroom fittings. We look forward to welcoming you back soon when maybe you could experience our new concept room.
Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night. The hotel is very nice, rooms compact but really well appointed. Every facility available including snacks and wine. Ironing board and fridge in room. Had a good night's sleep would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had a lovely stay at the Corner House and they were incredibly child friendly and adaptable to our situation. Staff were friendly and helpful and the food was delicious. We enjoyed our time here. My only criticism is the booking that bed and breakfast are charged separately. I find this frustrating and it makes it feel like an extra cost. The stay however was worth every penny and the breakfast was A1!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Very happy with an overnight stay here. Friendly staff. On-site parking. Our room was well fitted out including iron and ironing board and good hairdryer, though admittedly small. Perhaps we were lucky to be at the back, since it was admirably quiet. Very reasonable price, and a good location walking distance from the town centre. Didn't eat the food so can't comment. Would definitely return.

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

me and the wife arrived at 2 30 book in and the rooms was just wat u needed clean and tidy and the staff friendly we stayed 2 night and the breakfest staff was grt and the food was spot on i would recommend this hotel if u are ever in taunton

Room Tip: we have a compact as that was grt for two people