“Quick autumn break” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant

You added Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant to your Saves list
Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Village Road | Hatch Beauchamp, Taunton TA3 6SG, England   |
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Taunton
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Quick autumn break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

On the plus side, welcoming and attentive young staff (owner was away) and lovely log fires to warm up after walking the dog. Spacious room with equally spacious bed and bathroom - easy tread stairs to first floor Garden room. Breakfast had plenty of choice and their home produce was delicious, especially the eggs. The evening meals we opted for were on the whole pretty good - although I felt mine was slightly over-cooked. If we were being "picky" we think that a little more realistic price would have been £90 per person per night for dinner bed and breakfast. Basically, a slightly over-priced but good quality country hotel which we enjoyed.

Room Tip: We took our (well-behaved) dog and she was made very welcome. If you don't like stairs, mention...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
FarthingsHotel, General Manager at Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Delighted you enjoyed, so sorry I did not have te pleasure of welcoming you personally but pleaed that the team made you welome and comfortable. I hope you return soon.

Kind regards

John & Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Bath, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

This was our third stay at the hotel; I wish we could have stayed longer! We had a quick relaxing get away staying at the hotel for one night. The room we stayed in was absolutely divine and possessed so much character with a beautiful spiral staircase leading to the bathroom. It was very spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff were a pleasure as always; very attentive! The food never fails to impress... I ordered the lamb for dinner which was absolutely delicious. For breakfast there was a large selection of cereal, jam and bread as well as the option of a cooked breakfast. The food came very quickly, there was no waiting around and getting hungry. I really enjoyed my stay at the farthings hotel, it was so relaxing and I will definitely be returning soon!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
FarthingsHotel, General Manager at Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Thank you for your lovely words and delighted yo enjoyed. When you are ready for a return trip just drop me a line and we will make our best offer. Kind regards, John & Team
Penzance, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

first impression was great, log fire on the go as we walked in the door,helpful young man at check in, wasnt sure who he was as didnt introduce himself which would have been nice..
Room very pleasant, we stayed in Cedar and the view over the gardens was lovely, lots of chckens and geese..
We decided not to eat in the hotel as looked like 'fine dining' which wasnt our thing but had a few drinks sitting round the log fire which was wonderful , ver relaxing after the journey from Cornwall.
Overall we had a great time,staff were lovely,location was perfect, my only niggle was being charged £2 per day for a newspaper costing 90pence, not quite sure if thats standard practice or an error, if they do make a charge they should let guests know, also as part of our voucher deal we were supposed to have a cream tea on arrival and that was never forthcoming , i didnt bother to say anything as felt they should have been aware of it..
Would definately return though..

Room Tip: we stayed in cedar, right at the end and nice and quiet overlookin gardens
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Pleased to hear you enjoyed. Cream tea is served when you are ready, all you need to do is ask and we pamper! Come and visit again soon and enjoy our restaurant dinner - you will be pleased you did.

John & Team
Poole, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Arrived early and we were able to check in straight away. Stayed in the Cedar room which was clean and comfortable and gave us views of the chickens ducks and geese in the rear gardens. The staff went out of their way to ensure we had everything we needed. Had Sunday Lunch on the first day and an evening meal the second day. The food was excellent and very tasty. The cooked breakfast is one the best we have ever had. This break was booked through Groupon. Our only regret was that due to ill health we couldn't stay earlier in the year to enjoy the gardens more. The staff couldn't have done more to make our stay more enjoyable. Overall, great value for money with service levels most hotels would envy. We hope to be able to stay again soon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
So pleased you enjoyed and we hope you visit again soon, just drop me a line ad I'll repeat the same offer.

Team Farthngs
Maldon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We booked a stay lasting three nights in June this year. Our room, the Garden Room, was very spacious, as others have testified, but the cleanliness left a lot to be desired, with several cobwebs visible and dust on obvious surfaces, such as the coffee table, bedside tables, and the mantelpiece. The bathroom, however, was fine.

Housekeeping was also an issue in the breakfast room, where dead flies were allowed to remain on the window sill for the whole of our stay. At breakfast one morning my wife found a dead spider in a spoonful of marmalade. On complaining to the waitress, we were rather surprised when she simply removed just the offending spoon with its contents and promptly returned with a clean spoon, the jar of marmalade on the sideboard being allowed to remain where it was.

Our dinners seemed to deteriorate in quality from night to night, culminating in a most disappointing meal on the last one, being my wife's birthday. The thermidor sauce accompanying my wife's lobster was the worst she has every tasted and completely spoiled the meal. When I came to order the cheeseboard, the portion of stilton which came was brown around the edge, tasted fizzy, and was clearly 'off'. It is difficult to believe that it had been delivered by the supplier the day before, as was claimed by the head waiter.

In all, a readily forgettable visit, only being remembered, sadly, for all of the wrong reasons, and we shall not think of returning to Farthings Country House. In our view the Certificate of Excellence is not merited.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FarthingsHotel, Director of Sales at Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Sir,

On behave of myself and the staff at The Farthings I would like to say how sorry we all were to hear your stay did not live up to our normally very high standards especially on a special occasion. That being said I would like to address a couple of the points you have put across.

Firstly, I myself was working the breakfast shift when the spider was found in the marmalade, this is unfortunately one of those things when you live in the country that insects are around us however when this was pointed out the whole jar was removed and thrown away and a fresh jar brought out to your table with a fresh spoon.

Secondly, in regards to the flies and very few cob webs you saw, again we are in the country and it was a particuly hot June this year and I can asure your the house keeping team cleanned the hotel several times a day but as Im sure you find yourself at home you can clean an area and an hour later flies have gone back there with windows and doors all open.

Thirdly, I have spoken to Chef in regards to the Lobster and cheese and he was very upset that in this instance you did not enjoy your meal and wished you had said something at the time giving him a chance to sort any problems you had but has insured me the cheese was fresh in the day before although we do use a high quality local blue cheese that is to strong for some peoples pallet.

Lastly I would like to thank you for your feed back and if you do ever wish to return, If you contact myself directly I will ensure you get the full Farthings experience.

Shaun Barnes
Falmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I only spent one night here but would happily have spent longer. The service was highly professional, well informed, attentive but never intrusive. The room I had, the 'garden' room was superb: incredibly spacious with large windows, settee and large bed. The room had a spacious bathroom off it's own hallway with a large bath and anything else you could need. Water & fresh milk are provided. Both Dinner & breakfast were of a very good quality and a log fire provided a lovely atmosphere in the lounge area. Unfortunately the weather was very wet so it was not possible to enjoy the garden area but it looked very attractive nevertheless. The surroundings and service surpassed hotels I have stayed in with more 'stars'. No hesitation in recommending.

Room Tip: The garden room is very spacious and has a large bathroom and hall as well.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
FarthingsHotel, General Manager at Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
So many thanks for your lovely words. Much appreciated and the team will be delighted when I share your comments. We very much hope to see you again son.

John & team
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Just back from another great weekend away in Somerset. The Farthings is fast becoming the place to be in this area... I used to be able to just rock up on a Friday evening.... this last trip I had to book a few weeks in advance and the place was packed which is great to see. the bar and lounge was so inviting on arrival with fires blazing away in both... although there was a lady later in the evening who asked if it could be turned down??? the bar person just opened a window. Luckily I had booked a table as I had a friend joining me, and the meal was great see seperate review on thier restaurant page... again an overall great stay, everything just right, thank you again to everyone at The Farthings who make such getaway weekends all the more special.

Room Tip: Wifi is difficult due to the very thick old walls, but have found the front balcony rooms or one of...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!