“Couldnt fault it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Winchester Arms Public House

The Winchester Arms Public House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Taunton
Church Road Trull, Taunton TA3 7LG, England   |
Ranked #18 of 52 Taunton B&B and Inns
Suffolk
“Couldnt fault it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We arrived tired and grubby to the Winchester Arms and were shown our rooms - they were delightful. Well decorted and comfortable. We then went to the bar/ restuarant and had a lovely meal - 3 greedy courses and all very,very good. Pub grub how you hope it will be. Lovely nights sleep and then up for a great breakfast. This pub / restuarant should be very proud of its self - its amazing value and really worth a stop. As a base for Somerset or like us a re fuel on route further South I couldnt fault it. Well done to them.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
South Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Stayed at the Winchester for 1 night as a stop off on the way down to Cornwall in June 12. Great pub in a nice little village, stayed in room 1 (non en-suite) and it was great value for money, very clean and comfortable.

The breakfast was very good and the staff and locals were very friendly. For kids of all ages there is a skittle run shack which certainly looked entertaining in the car park!

Would certainly recommend the Winchester to all and if I ever need to stay in the area again it would be my first choice.

On top of that excellent St Austell and Sharp brewery Ales. good times!

Room Tip: Room 1 and I think 2 were at the front of the pub, right over the bar, so if you need an early night...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
isle of wight
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We down to see Elton John in Taunton and stayed the night at the Winchester arms.Friendly people friendly staff.Very good food and very nice room.i think it was value for money.Will stay again when down in the west country

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

stayed here for one night with friends,room 3,4,5,and ground floor triple. All rooms were modern and comfortable,with ensuite in 2 rooms. We had lovely fresh sandwiches for lunch which were made as a special order and evening meal was very good we all had different choices (8 0f us) which was a fair sample of the menu and they even brought coffee out to us in the garden when we finished. Breakast was anything we liked,plenty of jams and marmalades and selection of different toasts and cereals. 2 of us even had smoked salmon and scrambled egg! We were looked after very well. Thanks to all the staff for making our 45 year re-union so good.

Room Tip: Room 5 has a huge shower.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Hadleigh, Suffolk, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I stayed for just 1 night on 21 February while I was down for Taunton races. What a gem this pub is!! I was greeted with a friendly welcome and show to my single room. The room was much better than one normally expects for a single. Very comfortable bed plus an armchair, flat screen TV and tea making facilities. It was also nicely decorated and warm without being overpoweringly hot.
The restaurant food was excellent , good portions and reasonably priced, as was the beer.
The Full Englsih breakfast was the best I have had for a long time. The restaurant was very busy - even on a winter Tuesday night. This is a proper village pub giving good service at good prices. It deserves your support, so go there! You won`t be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

I just have to say that the review by Susan C below seems to be for a completely different place. I stayed in this charming bed and breakfast for 1 night (13th December 2011) and have to say that after a terrible night trying to catch a bus from Taunton hospital I was looking forward to a lovely stay and I have to say I was not disappointed!!!!

The Pub is a charming pub, great atmosphere and staff and a very warm welcome. I was shown my room (Room 4) which was very nice. Clean and warm, especially after the night I had (Terrible weather and gails). There was a lovely amount of tea/coffee making facilities and the bed was very comfy.

I late in the evening asked for something to eat like a sandwich. The lady said that they didn't do sandwiches (It was 08:45pm so I didn't thing they would but asked to see.) She said that I could have some mushroom soup or something like the side orders. I was happy to order some of these, so ordered 2 cheese and ciabatta slices and some cheesy chips). She asked if I wanted to stay in the bar area or she could bring them up to the room,..cheeky I said could she bring up to the room, which she said she would happily do.

The food arrived to my room and I have to say the food I had was wonderful (Even though it was only side orders). I had a lovely sleep and woke up refreshed. The room I had didn't have a en-suite as it was I only £30 with a full English breakfast (WOW, that was very good and there were toast accomplishments too - jam, marmalade, Marmite and other stuff with cereals and also fresh fruit juice).

After having breakfast, I had a shower and freshen up. The B&B is very clean and has everything I needed, though I don't need a hair dryer - man! lol.

Overall, The Winchester Arms is s superb B&B and I would highly recommend the B&B to anyone. Clean building, ample parking, great staff, friendly welcome, amazing breakfast and a warm goodbye.

No other words to say,,,,A*****

Room Tip: Room 4 is for the solo guest. Very clean, plenty of self making tea & coffee making facilites an...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed 1 night meeting friends who had stayed here previously and we all enjoyed our stay. This is how a country inn B&B should be! It is on a quiet road in the lovely and quiet village of Trull. Heather and Gavin are excellent hosts, and anything you needed was provided. We had an en-suite family room just behind the inn, and it was a good size, well furnished and quite comfortable. The restaurant is very pleasant, the menu is excellent with specials offering a wide range of interesting dishes - definitely not your usual pub fare. , None of us were disappointed with their dinner! There are real ales on tap, as well as a good range of well chosen wines at only £11.95 a bottle (we enjoyed the pinot grigio and the Chilean merlot). Breakfast was great - plenty of well cooked grub and good coffee to start the day. In summary - this is an unbeatable combination of value, friendliness and food.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Winchester Arms Public House? Share your experiences!