“Good budget hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Wakefield
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Good budget hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed here last week with my husband as we were visiting friends in the area. The hotel was excellent value for money. It is a budget hotel, if you want luxury then pay "luxury" prices. I would stay here again if I was visiting Leeds

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We booked this hotel as we were visiting family up in the Leeds area. We booked this though late rooms and were happy with everything up until a month BEFORE we even went there.

Our rooms were booked for mid June and I used a visa debit card for booking 2 rooms. Over the weekend I noticed a debit from my card for £110 which was the cost of 1 of the rooms for the 2 nights. This confused me as per there terms and conditions they charge the card once you have checked out or you can pay with another card.

I called to query this with the hotel and was meant with a very rude lady who told me that she tried to contact me on the Sunday as the two bookings I had made I had mis-entered the CV2 code on one of the rooms so she wanted to make sure the card was valid. I told her that she could have made a 1p transaction like pubs do when you set up a tab to make sure the card is ok. I was told that all hotels charge the card nowadays before you stay!! This is rubbish!!
I asked her then why she had taken the funds for one room a month before we were due to stay when her terms and conditions state that the card is only used if you do not turn up for the booking made. Again I was told that this is how hotel industry works.

My partner who runs his own business (which takes card payments) then called up to request that as it was her that had taken the funds from the card can she refund the money in full that day. We were not expecting it to be back in the account there and then as we both know this is not how card processing works and it takes a few days. He explained to her that what she had done was against the law as we did not give permission for them to charge the card a MONTH before we were due to stay but only if we did not show up.

He explained that if she tried to contact us on the Sunday ( which I had no missed calls and do not have a voice mail setup contrary to here saying that she left a voicemail) why not try again on the Monday before charging the card. She had no answer for this. He tried for a few more minutes to explain that if it was her who took the money that she could refund it. Eventually she decided she didn’t want to speak to him and cut him off.

We have had to cancel though late rooms that have then had to contact the hotel for them to refund our money. It seems a very long winded way of getting your money back when you didn’t give permission for them to take in the first place.

Do yourself a favour and book 2-3 miles away were they can get the basics right!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Wigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is probably more like a one or two star hotel rather than the four crowns advertised on the sign outside. The room we stayed in was reasonably clean, which is more than can be said for the bedding. It was stained and needed a good wash, and the towels were a kind of off white/grey colour and needed replacing. The owner was friendly enough, and was very helpful with directions to places, and the room was warm. The TV was very small, that said I don't go to a hotel to watch TV. What was concerning was an extension lead hanging down from a socket near the ceiling, with the TV plugged into it; not safe at all and a potential fire hazard. The breakfast was quite good with fresh, hot toast and croissants, and either tea or coffee. All in all it was a bit disappointing for the money, and I cannot really recommend this hotel as a good place to stay

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Arrived with 4 month baby to a damp mouldy smelling room, no heating on April, thread bare towels on mildew ridden shower room no bath of course. Exposed wires everywhere not suitable for children!! Stayed 10 minutes couldn't stand the smell of musty bed sheets, if you stay in Rothwell travel to the premier inn for a bit more money warms rooms with fluffy towels , this hotel is disgusting!!

• Stayed April 2013
Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Let's be honest - this is cheap! The bathroom was clean, but I am not sure I can say the same about the bed linen! Stains although I did sniff it and it smelt ok..... Tv tiny, had to sneak in my cold tea. I felt like I was in an emergency hostel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Gravesend
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Booked as a business trip. Owner not particulary helpful or friendly. Rooms extremely basic and quite aged. Bed very uncomfortable. Spooky location next to a graveyard. Breakfast extremely basic. It should be advertised as a budget hotel and downgraded to 2* would not book again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night for a client visit nearby. The owner was really friendly, gave really specific instructions about locating the hotel (though it is hard to miss), and was ready to stay 1/2 hour longer than reception closing hours, 10.30 pm. I still arrived before that fortunately.

He showed me to the room, got me wifi no, and tried to get the TV running. Unfortunately, it won't broadcast, but I was not too keen anyway.

In the morning, there was decent breakfast, the lady was very courteous and chatty with everyone. Later I was provided the iron and board, and allowed to do my work in the reception area without disturbance.

Towels were ok (usuable), beds clean, no shampoo, gel, but doesn't matter.

All in all, a decent business stay.

Room Tip: No 10 has decent wifi reception.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Tall Trees Hotel? Share your experiences!