“A taste of Italy in Wakefield...” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
West Yorkshire
“A taste of Italy in Wakefield...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We visited Prego for an after work evening out and I think I can safely say we were all delighted with the food. We enjoyed the value-for-money Early Bird menu, the pizzas being the most popular choice. The garlic mushrooms were also voted "best ever". The service was excellent, even though we were on the first floor and the waiters had a long haul up the stairs! Sadly, the wine list is nothing to get too excited about and I could have done with a bit more mustard in my penne mustardo, but these are small quibbles . This is a taste of Italy in a corner of Wakefield.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Visited for the fifth time in the last couple of years and had my favourite starter, tiger prawns and scallops with sambuca sauce followed by fillet steak stroganoff. The food here is consistently good and well worth a visit.

• Visited September 2013
Leeds
“Delicious food and good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We went for early bird excellent value at 11. Service good with helpful staff. Food delicious Italian sausage starters in particular. Real wood pizza oven! But try not to sit near it...

• Visited September 2013
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We booked this on a Groupon Voucher as we had never had a meal out in Wakefield so decided on Italian as a starter. What a lovely little restaurant, great food, lovely staff and great service. Will be returning.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Wood Burner Imported from Tuscany!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Wanting to take my Partner out for a fabulous meal for her Birthday and knowing her favourite is Italian I called them up in the afternoon and booked a Table for 2. My partner has a serious garlic allergy and the Manager assured me that the chefs would be able to make her the meal of her choice without garlic. The restaurant itself is situated at the top of Westgate in Wakefield behind Bar 97 and to one side of the Elephant and Castle public house. There are ample car parks nearby so parking is not a problem at all. Passing by Harry's Bar we entered prego and I announced our reservation to our Waitress Georgia. We were met with smiles from the outset and were put at ease immediately. We were delighted when we were seated downstairs at a window table with a fantastic view of the only Wood Burning Pizza in the Area where we could view food being prepared. The restaurant is immaculately clean and the atmosphere fantastic. Everyone of the staff was jolly and smiling adding to the enjoyment of our evening. As I stepped up to take a photo of the Wood burning Pizza oven Georgia immediately offered to take photos of myself and my partner in front of it, a nice personal touch (good photos too on my iphone). The manager was only too pleased to discuss the wood burner and tell us it had been imported from Tuscanny. Fresh crusty Bread and butter was served immediately and we picked a nice red Cabernet Mellejho and after a brief tasting wasted no time in ordering a glass and then a bottle (superb). We both had white bait for starters and my partner had a brief conversation with the Manager and staff who did nothing short of bend over backwards to ensure that her food was garlic free and her evening was both pleasant and rewarding. The Chefs furnished her with a garlic free Margherita Pizza made from scratch to her personal choice including toppings, base and tomato sauce . I myself chose a chicken special from the daily blackboard menu. We had a fantastic meal in a lovely setting and were fussed over by smiling staff who really pushed the boat out for us especially Georgia. There are more tables available upstairs and that is also where you will find the rest rooms, via the staircase to one side of the room. The service was fantastic the food and wine impeccable, massive portions, the atmosphere delightful. After our meal we were given a card with a short questionnaire to fill out for comments on our evening, more proof that Prego is always looking to improve it's service and not sitting on it's laurels as some establishments seem to do. The menu is superb as is the choice of beverages. We did have amazing tasting sweets followed by coffee and mints, needless to say we could hardly move by this time. It was one of the nicest evenings in an Italian restaurant that we had ever spent and my partner and I really enjoyed the personal touch. It won't be long before we go back. The restaurant also does a fabulous takeaway service with a fantastic choice of food.

• Visited August 2013