“A perfect day” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Darlington
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“A perfect day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My new husband and I had our wedding at Bannatyne Hotel on the last weekend in December. The hotel cannot be faulted in the expereince they gave us. The day was amazing because the staff worked so hard to follow our wishes, desires and to provide us with everything we could have hoped for. I stayed at the hotel the night before the wedding with my Mum and one of my bridesmaids; I did feel the room was a little dated, and for a four star hotel, I expected more tidy and modern decor. However, this has no baring on our experience and stay. We got breakfast to our room on the morning of the wedding and it was delivered promptly and the cooked items we ordered were warm and fresh. The wedding itself was fantastic - we had our ceremony and celebrations (wedding breakfast and evening reception) at Bannatynes. The food and wine for the wedding breakfast was delicious and the food served piping hot. The evening reception also went exceptionally well with gorgeous food - we opted for sausage and bacon buns, which went down a treat - I do believe there was nothing left!!! We got a complimentary stay in the bridal suite on the evening of the wedding, a gorgeous room, thank you.
Overall, I cannot thank all of the staff at Bannatyne Hotel enough for working so efficiently and thoughtfully to make our wedding day so memorable. Particular thanks to Jade, who we corresponded with in arranging the day; thanks to Victoria who was going to be our contact on the day, but was ill. Thanks to every single memeber of staff who worked with us that day, and even thanks to the staff who smiled at us or wished us the best, even if they weren't working on the wedding. I genuinely can not thank you all enough.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Sheep01

Congratulations on your recent wedding, I am so delighted that the day was everything you had hoped it would be.....and more!
We are truly privileged to be involved in a couple’s special day and I am delighted that the service delivered by the whole team surpassed your expectations. I will ensure your feedback is shared with the team, especially Jade and Victoria.
I am so pleased that the food was so well received by your guests and attracted such high praise. I was working the evening of your wedding and confirm all the food was eaten.....a great sign!!
Thank you for choosing Bannatyne’s as the venue for your wedding and we do hope to see you again......on your anniversary perhaps!

Lucy Readshaw, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Redditch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My wife and I met up with friends and neighbours from Spain, they used to live in the Darlington area, they were coming back for their first Christmas in the UK for about ten years, we had never been to Darlington before
We stayed two nights at the hotel, Lynne Paul Mark and Claire had stayed there for five nights.
We stay in lots of Hotels all over the world, mostly the 5* luxury type.
I booked Bannatyne’s on Paul’s recommendation
This is a small 4* hotel in, I believe a listed building, the reason I mention that is that there will always be limitations on the design and the décor and rightly so. So please do not expect the slick sometimes cold décor found in a modern hotel, the décor will be blending in.
Our room (54) was on the third floor, it was very clean and very nicely presented, the décor in keeping with the building, we had complementary Tea, coffee, Water (Still & Sparking) a bowl of assorted Fruit’s and Mince Pies in the room. I am not sure whether this was provided for very room or just, the grade we had chosen.
No Negatives………. Very nice, nicely presented.
We had dinners in restaurants in Darlington Town itself.
Paul ‘s Party had arrived on Christmas Eve; he commented that the food in the restaurant was very, very good; they had received a complimentary Buffet dinner, which they did not know about. Nice surprise.
The breakfasts were excellent with a wide range of most items to suit most taste’s, the staff were all local and were absolutely charming, they were all cheerful and polite, couldn’t have been better. They say a lot for how the hotel is managed, so management a very well done!
If you were planning a trip to the south Durham area, I would strongly recommend you try this hotel, for the four stars rating, and NOT as expensive as it could be based on what they provide.
I did see one comment on Trip Adviser that said the waitress's were rude. and the breakfast was "horrendous"..........I am Mr Fussy I do not know how that comment can be justified....
I ran a night club in the seventies with 450 covers, so i do have a little understanding about supplying service and food............Notice the plural it the comment......!!!!
Now for the One Negative....
The hotel provides a range of items in the bathroom
The "body wash" has a menthol eucalyptus element in it
DO NOT wash your "little bits"........ it will burn, and burn..... you will have to use soap and cold water to calm them down.
Making a joke with our friends, I found out that they had the hot burning sensation's as well....
I did report this to reception....... and suggested they change the brand or the body wash

Dear Barryjohnwebb

Thank you for taking the time to share such a positive and comprehensive review of your stay. I am delighted that the Hotel had been recommended to you and that we did not disappoint.
We are indeed a Grade II listed town house and I am so pleased that you have been able to appreciate the decor and features that a building of this age offers.
To know that all the people in your party enjoyed their stay, the food in Maxine’s restaurant, the complimentary Christmas buffet and a hearty breakfast is fantastic.
I really appreciate your feedback regarding the team at the Hotel, we all work incredibly hard to ensure that we deliver excellent customer service at all times and it is great to know this is acknowledged and appreciated and I look forward to sharing your review with the staff.
Thank you for your comments regarding the body wash supplied and please be assured that I will investigate any side effects of the product as I do not want any guest suffering an adverse reaction.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel on your next visit to this area.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a wedding at end of December and it was absolutely brilliant! From the moment we arrived every member of staff were brilliant, smiley helpful and really couldn't do enough for you! The rooms were fine and breakfast was good and very busy I think everyone showed up for breakfast at the same time but that didn't change the attitudes of staff at all in fact they worked very hard to get everyone seated and happy at the same time and ran around no end to make sure everyone was satisfied! The staff were also brilliant setting up the rooms for the venue and turned breakfast room into wedding extravaganza in no time! So thanks for making our stay memorable you all deserve praise and ill bet a nice lie down for all your hardwork!

• Stayed December 2012
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear yumyum83

Thank you so much for your wonderful review following your stay with us. I am delighted that your experience exceeded your expectations. Being part of people’s wedding day is a privilege and we all work as hard as we can to ensure all guests have the best possible experience and that we deliver the highest standards of customer service....even when at our busiest, which we often are at breakfast!

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I do hope to see you again at the Hotel in the future.

Lucy Readshaw
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We booked this hotel last minute as the husband decided to accompany me to a Christmas party in Darlington.

We struggled to find the hotel and get parked. Some signs would be helpful as you can see the hotel but not the entrance. The receptionist was pleasant and efficient. The room was clean tidy and had everything we needed. The bed was comfy and as furniture retailers we are always very critical of mattresses, this one was of good quality and we both had a good nights sleep.

Our view of the hotel however was tarnished by our experience of breakfast. We went down at 8am when it opened and was greeted by a very sullen waitress who just said sit anywhere. No mention of whether it was self service etc. We chose a table and waited....... after 10 minutes the husband went to investigate and discovered it was indeed self service. Meanwhile i was sat at the table a waitress appeared and growled "what do you want" at me. After clarifying she meant tea/coffee etc i ordered for the both of us and asked for toast. She never acknowledged it. Just gave me a dirty look and went off. They brought the toast and drinks to the table and set them down where the husband was sitting. I got the feeling they thought i was ordering it all for myself. When the husband returned from getting us some food, it looked less than appetizing. The hot food was cold, the scrambled egg was more of a congealed block, the toast was cold and rock hard. The fruits looked like they had been left out overnight and the breads and pastries were stale. We did complain to the waitress who shrugged her shoulders and made no attempt to offer any kind of solution.

On check out we did mention this to the receptionist who said she would pass on the comments to the restaurant.

For the price we paid - i expected a better breakfast, we could of eaten better food at a service station.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Motorsportgirlie

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us. I am pleased that your room was to your satisfaction and that you had a lovely nights sleep and that the quality of the mattresses we supply was appreciated.

My team and I endeavour to deliver the highest standards of customer service and this is an area that we usually receive the highest praise for and I am sorry if that this was not your experience.
I take on board your feedback and will use this review as part of our ongoing team development and training.

Our breakfasts are another area that usually attract only positive feedback, with the continental breakfast being served fresh each day and a wide range of cooked breakfast options, I am again sorry that this was not your experience.

Thank you again for your time.

Northallerton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Seeking to celebrate my 50th birthday in style, I booked a function room at this hotel as I had previously enjoyed a friend's Golden wedding celebration there. Initially I was told that Christmas fayre was only served in December. However, when I explained that I was hoping for something a bit different the staff were happy to accommodate my request. My guests and I enjoyed a delicious brunch of fruit salad, pastries and full English breakfast in beautiful surroundings. It was a lovely, relaxed morning which all my guests say they thoroughly enjoyed. An added bonus was the tasteful Christmas decorations that gave the room a festive touch but didn't overpower my birthday flowers etc.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Elaine C
Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely feedback on your recent Birthday celebration at the Hotel, I am delighted that you had such a lovely day. We endeavour to meet all of our guests expectations in terms of surrounding, menu requirements and service and I am so pleased that this was the case during your day.

I do hope that you will visit us again and keep us in mind for any future celebrations.

Ofc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Room quality was outstanding, hotel location and service were great. Breakfast tasty, food and drink quality were superb throughout my stay. A really good choice in Darlington. I would not hesitate to recommend this great-value hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear FairCritic68

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay, you have succinctly described everything we aim to deliver at the hotel, quality accommodation, great service, superb food and drink!
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and would recommend us.
Thank you again for your time and I look forward to seeing you back at the Hotel in the future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I travelled up to darlington for my son's passing out parade, I choose this Hotel because it looked lovely and I wanted it to be a special occasion. I booked a suite for myself and my daughter and my son's girlfriend was in a double room . Luckily our room was at the back of the Hotel and very quiet however my son't girlfriend was at the front of the Hotel which was very noisey as it is just off a very busy roundabout

When we were trying to find the car park it was very tricky but I have to say the receptionist was very helpful and stayed on the phone with my daughter giving her directions which I really appreciated.

I wasn't that impressed with the room for what we paid I didn't think it was very good value the rooms are tired looking and there was a damp patch over the window. The fruit in the bowl was not fresh either. Walking around the Hotel it was obvious it is in need of decoration but it wasn't awful.

Where everything went wrong was at dinnertime we phoned down from the room as we didn't want to book a table and were told we could get bar snacks up until 10.00pm, as we walked into the bar we were greeted by the rudest waitress I have ever met, on asking about getting food she told us all the food was finished, I was really surprised and asked her why we couldn't get food she was clearly stressed and said it was because they had 110 people in for dinner and if we were hungry there was crisps and nuts behind the bar.

I'm afraid I was furious at this stage she then backed down and told us that if we were prepared to wait for an hour and a half we could get some food , all we wanted was a sandwich, I could see they were busy but these people were not staying at the Hotel and we were guests and did not deserve to be treated in this way. It got a bit embarressing as everyone in the bar area was aware of the situation. We sat down and did eventually get our food which was nice, and the rest of the staff were extreemly nice to us, but she would not even approach us after that maybe she felt embarressed she sent other members of staff over to ask if we were ok.

Breakfast was fine I did fill in the feedback form and gave it to the receptionist, and a few days later I had a phonecall from the manager who apologised and assured me that their staff do not normally behave in this way and as the member of staff was in training she would deal with it as a training issue. I was glad she contacted me but I would iot recoimmend this Hotel because of my experience.It spoiled what should have been a wonderful couple of days.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at the back of the Hotel to avoid the road noise