“Bannatyne a nice hotel with good restaurant.” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Southend Avenue, Darlington DL3 7HZ, England   |
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Darlington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Llantwit Major, United Kingdom
“Bannatyne a nice hotel with good restaurant.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

This was my first stay at the Bannatyne and it was recommended to us. Overall very good quality and a reasonable price with free wifi. My only minor niggles were the bar service which was slow, only one young girl on the bar and the bar was full of people waiting for drinks prior to dinner. The other minor niggle was that the wallpaper in my room was peeling and had not been attended to but it appeared that they had placed a chair in front of it so you could not see it. Apart from that excellent, I must also comment that it was nice to see all the young staff looking so smart and they did actually appear to care about the service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Scott D, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Optimal DIO
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and such a positive one, I am pleased that you were shown excellent hospitality throughout your stay. Thank you also for your constrctive comments in regard to the bar service and the bedroom 'niggles', I will address these with the team and rectify to continue to excel in exceeding customer expctations. I am however delighted to read that the younger staff excelled and as you mentioned 'cared' about providing great service, we are certainly developing a young and enthusiastic team. Please visit us again next time you are in Darlington, we would be delighted to welcome you back.
Scott Davidson - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Darlington, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I don't quite know why I have never considered staying here before, but was genuinely delighted with the hotel and it's superb restaurant. The room was very clean and comfortable, mini-bar would have been great as somebody else commented on, but that would be my only niggle. The staff were excellent and the food was way above the norm. The bar area is very comfy as if the restaurant, the whole place has a lovely feel to it. Easy parking and it's two minutes from the center of town. Can't wait to stay again....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear TonyTravels 262
Many thanks for your postive review following your recent stay, I am delighted to read that the customer care you experienced was of the highest standard and that you felt comfortable and relaxed in the Hotel. Thank you also for your suggestion of a minibar in the room, which is something we are looking into adding to our superior rooms first and then the other rooms to follow however as yet have no date for this addition. However I can guarantee another warm welcome on your next visit and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We visited here in March as it was five years since we had got married in this very hotel and we thought it would be a nice touch. We had our son with us so we were there quite early and the service was good as there was only us and one other table filled. The food was delicious and worth the visit. We were just a little disappointed that when we mentioned we got married in that hotel 5 years ago we didn't get so much as a happy anniversary. We had tried emailing a few months previous to see if there were any special offers for returning couples if we wanted to stay over...... To which we got no reply.

Stayed March 2012
Dear BexD
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your anniversary return to the hotel, and that the food and service was up to our usual high standards. May I apologise if the 'personal' touch was missing in that no-one offered good wishes for your anniversary. I will speak to the team accordingly and put in place procedures for the future to identify and welcome guests celebrating special occassions with us. Thank you for your feedback and I hope we could welcome you back on your next anniversary, and for many more to come.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stay away a lot on business and this has become my requested hotel when in Darlington.

Aside from the superb facilities at the Banatynes gym (steam, sauna, swimming etc) which are free if you stay at the hotel, the main reason i stay here is the friendly and helpful staff who always make me feel welcome and are very accomodating.

The food is great and i have tried most things off the menu (particularly like their salads) and am always ready for a full english in the morning.

Yes the parking is difficult sometimes and it occasionally gets busy with weddings and functions but what can you do?

Don't know what you want from your hotel in Darlington but you'd have to go further afield to get a better option than this one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear ShainA
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for your great comments. I am so pleased that the staff, food, service and standards are consistently good and that you return to the hotel time and again. May I thank you for your continued custom and assure you that we will continue to provide the high levels of hospitality you have come to enjoy so much. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We last stayed at the Bannatyne at Christmas and it was a lovely stay. Our only issue was that there wasn't a fridge in the room. The management replied that were dealing with that - they haven't.

Other than that the rooms and the hotel is looking a bit worn but it's still the best hotel in the centre of Darlington, I just wish there was more choice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Jamesbrien
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your positive and constructive comments. I am delighted to read that you find our hotel 'the best in the city centre' In regard to your comments about the bedrooms being a little worn, we do have an ongoing maintenance program which includes the refreshing of the bedrooms periodically and on a priority basis. In relation to the fridges, this is something I will readdress to look at providing, in the meantime on your next visit we will happily refrigerate your items in our kitchen fridges so please ask on arrival. We hope to see you back at the hotel next time you visit Darlington.
Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Needed an overnight stay on a Sunday night in the area for business meeting early on Monday morning. After googling hotels in the area and on a budget I came across Bannatynes Darlington. For £60 bed and breakfast (same price as the premier inn) SO pleased I chose Bannatynes. I was greeted by a very efficient and helpful receptionist called Claire who couldn't do enough for me.
My room was clean, modern and with all the facilities in the room one needs. The hotel has a lot of charm and character. Breakfast was great too. I would not hesitate to book this hotel again next time I'm in the area. There are also lovely garden areas to sit out and have a drink. Only downside to the hotel is access ! It was difficult to find the entrance to the hotel as its not well signposted. But other than that, it was great.

Room Tip: I was in room 7 which look as though it had recently been refurbished. It had lovely garden view.
Dear Mrs SW
Thank you for posting your review and for your positive feedback, I am pleased you discovered our hotel and found the facilities and service comfortable and welcoming. Thank you especially for your praise toward a member of our team, Claire is thrilled by your kind words. As you have mentioned we offer great value for money and I am delighted that we met and even exceeded your expectations. We hope we could welocme you back very soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights and the service was excellent and the steak in the restaurant was excellent.The rooms are a little tired and could do with some TLC.I would recomend to stay here

Room Tip: Room 47 has a leaking shower and kept me awake also need net curtains as the neighbors had a full vi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear kentish cobnut
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and such a positive one from your recent visit. I am glad to hear that the service was of a high standard and that you particularly enjoyed your steak in the restaurant, we are proud to offer good local produce at a reasonable price.
I am pleased that you would recommend the hotel and I will address your constructive comments about the bedroom with my Head Housekeeper. We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.
Scott Davidson - General Manager

Been to Bannatyne Hotel Darlington? Share your experiences!