“The worst restaurant,food and service I have ever experienced in my life.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Thai

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
County Durham
“The worst restaurant,food and service I have ever experienced in my life.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

If this review puts at least one person off going to this hell hole then I shall be pleased.
I have never had to leave a review like this before and I'm disappointed to be doing so now but I feel very strongly about this.
From entering the cold, empty restaurant and meeting the hostile waitress I wondered if I'd made a mistake but hoped the food would be worth it even though the waitress couldn't bring herself to even break a smile, surly is an understatement, she looked like she'd been chewing on a wasp.
We chose the business 3 course menu for a reasonable £6.95 and our first course was all too quickly brought out, chicken satay & chicken wrapped in pandam leaves, dry, tepid and not at all fresh.
To follow was Chicken and mushroom soup, neither of us ate more than 2 mouthfuls of this, it was revolting and I can't be sure if the coconut milk was off or what but it had the most bizarre smell and flavour, again it was brought to us no more than 2 minutes after the previous plates were cleared by the miserable waitress who we'd been nothing but sweet and polite to since we walked in.
Lastly we were brought Chicken, ginger and spring onion which was by far the nicest dish.
I couldn't finish it and left a rather large portion which I asked very politely to be packed up so I could enjoy it later on at home. The reply spat at me by the waitress stunned me, as I havent ordered my meal as a takeaway I would be charged £6.95 to takeaway my own food I'd already bought!
Astonishing!
Once I pointed out that I was infact already paying for my meal and that all I wanted was for it to be placed into a container so I could take it home I was again spoken to like I was asking for the impossible and told that just this once I could do that. Oh the privilege!
Stunned and confused we both paid and left feeling quite upset and disappointed too.
Upon returning home I searched the Royal Thai online and found many many articles about environmental health closing them down numerous times and also fining them during 2012.
Please search this too, it's quite worrying.
I also found the reviews on Trip Advisor and couldn't believe they are of the same restaurant. I'm pleased not everybody has had such an awful experience as me but would urge anyone who has to warn other unsuspecting customers by leaving feedback too.
This is not a usual review for me as you would be able to see from all my others. I am always fair and usually very happy and love to praise places that deserve it.
With regards to other staff at the Royal Thai, as that waitress was the only person we had any interaction with, maybe not everyone has her delightful attitude!!
Please, please avoid this place like the plague, Darlington has some fantastic eateries but this is certainly not one of them.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Our favourite restaurant at the moment!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

We originally found this place by ordering a take-away to try something different as we don't live in the area. After that one meal we were hooked. We now travel through at least every two weeks as the food is amazing! We have been both during the day, evening, weekdays and week nights and the meal deals are very good value. The cheapest being a 3 course meal for £5.99. The food is fresh, hot and it is always easy to choose healthier options. The staff are courteous, only once have I seen them understaffed but they were very apologetic and offered a free dessert. The restaurant can be a little cold but it depends on the time of day. I have absolutely no critism of the food even after 5 visits. The female toilet is upstairs so not too good for disabled customers. As a final note the restaurant is clean and well presented. Fabulous.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Darlington, United Kingdom
“OH DEAR , OH DEAR , OH DEAR”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

What an awful experience !! Went for a relaxing lunch , actually had cold, greasy , unappealing food combined with surly service . No wonder we were the only people there !
Have eaten out in many,many restaurants - this ranks in the bottom two.
Unappetising in every way , NOT recommended.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
York, United Kingdom
“Lovely family meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We visited here as a group of 10 for a pre panto family feast ( it was a hit last year so we did it again!) and chose from the set menu. There was something to cater for everyone: milder flavour for Grandma and the young children, plenty of meat/chicken for the hungry ones, lovely spicing and flavour mixes for the seasoned Thai lovers! The service was attentive and warm and it was a lovely start to our evening. I think it will probably become our traditional restaurant when we go to the panto.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“A Taste of Thailand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have been going to this restaurant for several years. Visiting with friends and family at different times, I can honestly say that we have never been disappointed. Food is always very good...we always ask for everything to be cooked the way we like it...always extra chilli's. Owners and staff are always friendly. Great place for celebrating birthdays etc. I can't recommend the special lunchtime menu enough...choice of starter, soup, main & rice for £6.95 per person or £5.95 for the vegetarian option. If your not sure...just go and try it for yourself...you won't be disappointed.

• Visited October 2012