“Scots forray” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 19 hotels in Darlington
Dundee
“Scots forray”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This was our second visit to England this year and we were more than happy with the service and quality we received. The hotel itself is situated in lovely grounds - the decor is somewhat dated, but our room was clean and comfortable. We enjoyed our meal in the restaurant and have to commend the pleasant staff - everyone was helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the original building.

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

What were you expecting to see out of a Darlington hotel window? I didn’t expect to see the Sydney Opera House or the hanging gardens of Babylon.
Nor did I expect to see herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically through or Krakatoa erupting for that matter.

What I was presented with was droves of geriatric red faces returning from the Gym and pulling out of the car park like bats out of hell during the early hours. I had a good night’s sleep. I’d go as far as to say that it’s inhumane to expect anyone to sleep on what they described as a double bed. A slab of concrete with sheet as thin as the toilet paper is what I got.

If the Gravel, the poor quality bed or the accidental wakeup call from reception fail to wrench you from your slumber, the banning doors will. They are old and heavy to say the least. Although I never caught site of the cleaner, I could swear that they had hired a giant as a maid. Nobody else could slam the doors with such ferocity

The temperature of the room was unbearable. Should you ever check into a room that you’ve not travelled by plane to stay in and it has two large fans, run to reception and demand a change. The room was hotter than the sun and the sound of the fans was horrendous. I could barely hear the television but it did muffle the moans and groans of the couple next door trying for a baby so they did have a positive.

The food included as part of our deal was very nice which gave me high expectations for the breakfast which was included. As with the rest of the hotel it maintained its ability to surprise and disappoint. An unmanned buffet with eggs and sausages which had been left out to slowly roast under the hot plate lights. I couldn’t tell what was fried or scrambled. I couldn’t wait to check out to be honest. Darlington is a really nice area but the hotel should be an exhibit in Beamish. A few of the breakfast items could be a tourist attraction too.. The world’s most confusingly tasting sausage would draw a few crowds.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel. It couldnt be any worse
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Stroud, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We had a Bed, Breakfast and Dinner package through a Groupn Offer which was a fantastic deal and we felt that it was good value for the money. The hotel is dated and in need of some TLC but our room was excellent and also the bathroom. All the staff that we encountered were extremely friendly and helpful. As another reviwer has stated, the menus are limited ,even the a la carte. We had the seabass with curly kale. The seabass and potatoes were perfect but the kale was deep fried and to our taste, full of oil. We were pleased that we ordered extra vegetables There was plenty of choice for breakfast. It provided us with a good base enabling us to explore the area and there are some beautiful walks along the Tees Valley from the hotel. Barnard Castle and the museum there are well worth a visit and like Durham it is not too far away. Beautiful countryside within easy reach, as well as the East coast. A bonus is the Spa facilities with extremely reasonable rates for a wide variety of treatments. Sadly the Massage Therapist was on holiday but if it had been available we certainly would have had a massage.

Room Tip: We were in the main house on the top floor and it was quiet with lovely views. Wouldn't want to...
Jarrow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Blackwell Grange was all we wanted it to be and served our weekend well. Every question on their survey we rated excellent. Everything really was excellent. Arrival at reception you felt welcomed the room was what was wanted large and airy bathroom clean.

We will certainly return and would recommend Blackwell Grange for a stay.

Room Tip: The Cottages are secluded
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
blackwell79, General Manager at Blackwell Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Wilf Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay at Blackwell Grange Hotel which you rated everything excellent in all aspects of your stay. I am so pleased you will return and would recommend us to others. I look forward to welcoming you for a return visit to Blackwell Grange Hotel. Kind Regards Dawn Raine General Manager
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed one night. Rooms were clean but dated. Both menu's given had limited choice although food was nice. All the staff were friendly and helpful. I doubt I would make a return visit. Hotel needs a lot of love and attention, which would bring it back to its former glory.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Trips Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback on your recent stay at Blackwell Grange Hotel. I am pleased you found the food nice, all the staff friendly and helpful I will pass this feedback on to the team who will be delighted. We are currently reviewing all our menus so I will take your comments onboard about limited choice. I do agree the Hotel does need some refurbishment to restore it to it's former glory. We have had new carpets fitted this week to ground floor corridors and other refurbishments works are planned over the next 18 months. I do hope you make a return visit and i look forward to welcoming you back to Blackwell Grange Hotel. Kind Regards
Dawn Raine General Manager
Bishopsteignton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Stayed here for 3 nights, the staff were rude, the pipes kept us awake all night. We had travelled for 5 hours to get here, so to say we were bitterly disappointed was an understatement.

We complained & the manager called & said next time we were passing through we could have a free drink?!

Would not recommend and won't be travelling here anytime soon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I stayed one night at this hotel and thought it was a very pleasant and peaceful place. The room was clean and more than adequate in size. The staff were pleasant and helpful. Unfortunately I was not able to try the restaurant nor the breakfast but I enjoyed my one night stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear David Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your recent stay at Blackwell Grange Hotel. I am pleased you found the Hotel very pleasant and peaceful. I do agree the standard rooms are more than adequate in size. I am glad you found all the staff pleasant and helpful i will pass this on to the team who will be delighted. I am disappointed you did not try the restaurant for dinner or breakfast but hopefully if you return to the Hotel you can sample our restaurant. I am pleased you enjoyed your one night stay and i do hope you return to Blackwell Grange Hotel, I look forward to welcoming you for a return visit. Kind Regards Dawn Raine General Manager

Been to Blackwell Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!