“Lovely food, good service. We recommend it!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean, Turkish, Grill
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dorset, England
“Lovely food, good service. We recommend it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We celebrated my daughter's birthday, with a meal at Karma. There were 11 of us, we all thoroughly enjoyed our starters, mains and desserts, which were cooked to perfection, and extremely tasty. We had the house white wine, very nice indeed. We loved the Turkish/Cypriot dishes, and the traditional decor of the restaurant, which was very welcoming.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Found this by happy accident”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and was recommended to go to Storm for seafood. Unfortunately that was closed
On a sunday evening so ended up looking for somewhere else to eat. Karma caught my eye because it was the only restaurant that was not empty at 8pm on a cold Sunday evening.
Ended up just ordering starters which were delicious and more than generous in serving. Had the grilled lamb with hummus and tabbouleh which I would highly recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Henlow, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Met up with friends who are local and said we would like this place, they were right the food was excellent, try the lamb chops, 11/10 !! Great atmosphere and we thought very good value, will visit again, soon

Visited March 2013
Salalah, Oman
“From Strength to Strength.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

When I wrote, in my first review of Karma in October 2011, “They were all delightful and it is to be hoped that they do well in Poole”, it must have been obvious to readers that I was rather smitten with this restaurant. My one worry was that, as they were new to Poole, they might have been trying “extra hard” to impress and that they would have trouble keeping up the quality of both the food and service.
My worry has turned out to be groundless.
Since our original visit we have been back countless times and I can say, “Hand on heart” that we have never had a bad dish, let alone a bad meal.
The high standards that Martin, Manuela and Ershan had set themselves have not just been maintained but have been improved upon and polished by many hours of hard work.
I work in the Middle East and am only home for 3 or 4 weeks out of every 20 so my time in the UK is precious and meals out with my family and friends are to be treasured. Any bad meal or dish is to me an anathema and a waste not only of food and money but a waste of my time! So to me Karma is a true gem.
On my last leave (February), we were lucky to have the time to visit three times with close friends. I will not go into details of each visit but will outline some of the dishes we had.
On each visit we were given the homemade Mediterranean bread and a bowl of Marinated Olives to nibble on whilst we relaxed with our first drink and read the menu.
For cold starters we tried:
The Hummus (£4.95) which is rich and creamy, the Tzatziki (£4.74) delicious and cooling and the Tabule (£4.75) tangy and fresh. These were all of a more than generous portion and all are included, with other items in the “Starter Meze Platter” (£12.95). On the menu it says “Ideal to share for 2” but in reality this would be enough for three or four with the bread, if the appetites of the diners were of average capacity!
On the hot starter side we tried:
Grilled Marinated Malaysian Prawns (£6.95). These came “shell on” and were nicely grilled, tasty and very succulent.
Battered Squid (£5.95). A good sized portion of tender squid rings in a light, crisp batter, reminiscent of Japanese tempura.
Grilled Lamb Meat Balls (Kofte) (£6.45). These were of a medium size and made of a high quality mince with no gristle and very little fat. The spicing was excellent and they were grilled to perfection. The portion was big enough to share.
Sucuk (£6.75). Grilled, slightly spicy Turkish sausages. Once again a generous portion of these savoury sausages. These are my favourite starter.
For main courses our various parties tried the following:
Juicy Lamb Cutlets (£16.95). A surprisingly large plateful of juicy lamb chops cooked to my liking (pink). No apparent fat and so tender they were like eating pâté on a stick! This is my favourite main course.
Lamb Fillet (£15.75). Tender cubes of lamb fillet marinated in olive oil and oregano then lightly char grilled and served with bulgur wheat and salad.
Moussaka of which there are both meat (lamb £14.75) and vegetarian (£13.95) versions. Both are served with a generous salad and were as good as any we have eaten in Greece, Cyprus or Turkey.
Fillet of Sea Bass (£15.75). Unfortunately this was unavailable on the day we asked for it as it is bought on a daily basis for freshness. However, an alternative, bream, was offered and this turned out to be an excellent choice. It was pan fried with a crispy skin and moist, white flesh. The presentation was on a bed of potato purée with a portion of tasty stir-fried fresh vegetables. Two of us tried this dish and we will both be having it again in the future.
Salmon Stew (£14.95). This was a large darn of salmon, nicely steamed and, as with the bream, presented on a bed of potato purée with a portion of tasty stir-fried fresh vegetables.
I could go on and on about the food but the service deserves a mention too.
Manuela and Martin have trained their team well. Service is smooth and attentive without being overbearing. Food arrives in a timely manner and the orders are correct.
I would point out here that all the meals are cooed fresh “from scratch” so sometimes you may have to wait a short while for your order to appear. Dishes are timed so that the quickest to prepare and cook is ready at the same time as the most complex.
Do not be surprised to see dishes being served to others who have ordered after you. It may well be that that they have ordered a more simple meal.
In the UK we often forget that, when dining at a good restaurant, food should be served at a speed that aids digestion. You will never see diners in France or Italy rushing their meals. This is NOT a fast food restaurant! If your food is being prepared properly and with love it will take time. Relax, sip your wine and enjoy the company of your friends whilst you wait. You will not be disappointed.
Peter & Jean. :o)

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
dorset
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I have spent several lovely evenings in this pretty little restaurant. The ambience and food are amazing. It is not cheap but well worth the money. I recommend sharing a starter as the main courses are huge! Never tried a sweet as I have never had room. Only thing that would make it even more perfect would be outside seating in the summer.

• Visited September 2012