“Busy popular place” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Busy popular place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is a pleasant popular place sometimes a bit noisy (babies etc in early evening) but has a nice atmosphere and excellent value.

Visited May 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Great value for a nice meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Came here on recommendation of my parents who came here a few years back, so as we were staying just down the road we thought we'd give it a try.
We got drinks at the bar and were told if we wanted food it was a waiter service and could have any table that wasn't reserved. We found a table and then waited for our order to be taken....and waited..and waited...as the waitresses seemed to be ignoring our table i managed to stop one and ask if someone could please take our order?
After the order was finally taken the service turned out ok and the food was very nice. My wife had a steak that she enjoyed and i had Chicken enchiladas which were tasty. Very good value at around 20 quid including a side order, drinks and a coffee we weren't charged for.
Nice place with a nice atmosphere, i was suprised reading so many bad reviews on here for the food. Mabey we got lucky, but our meal was enjoyable just let down by the initial service.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Disgusting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Absolutely disappointed by the quality of the food been coming here on and off few year's and seems to me that its gone down hill the last few months.
I used to enjoy the fish and chips and my wife would have sirlion. Fish was over cooked swimming in grease with black bits stuck to it, chip's are cold.
Steak was overcooked asked for rare came out well done?
I asked the waitress if I could have a fresh meal she didn't seem bothered as to why I wanted a fresh meal.
This place has gone from being brilliant value with the 241 to a establishment with no staff that seem to care.
The food was amazing at Christmas why the massive difference?
Will not be coming back and will be sure to warn family and friends not to as well

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Poole, England, United Kingdom
“worst pub meal ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

ate with my partner from their 2 meals for the price of 1 range. Sounds good value but their individual price is double what you would pay anywhere else. I had Somerset Chicken, which sounded lush but cam out as 2 tiny over boiled chicken breast, packet cheese sauce, over cooked, bland, brown, watery cabbage and overcooked, bland baby potatoes. Took it to the bar to complain and was greeted with "Do you just want your money back?" before I even complained. Not once was I asked what the problem was....This tells me that they are used to getting many complaints.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Poole, United Kingdom
“Nightmare!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I pre-booked a table for a family birthday, BIG mistake. We sat down and ordered our starters with the waitress (who I later found out was the managers partner), when I went to the bar to get drinks I was approached by the same lady and she requested i take a seat and that she would take our orders at the table so i sat down and spent the next 25 minutes watching her wondering around the pub, popping outside and talking on her phone!!! Our starters arrived way before our drinks, but no complaints with the combos, ample and enjoyed by all. The mains came next to our horror, my chicken and garlic mushrooms were barely warm despite the plate being hot, I returned it and was told I could have something different or a freshly cooked one in 10 mins??? Freshly cooked or freshly "ting tinged" in the microwave?? I politely asked if they could just ting it for me as I knew thats what they'd do anyway and I wanted to eat at the same time as my family. My nephew's kids meal was so bad that at 5 yrs old even he knew fish fingers shouldn't be dark brown, rock hard and shrivelled, (it looked like they had been overly deep fried) and lets not even mention the brittle potato shapes hence 2nd dish returned. The pulled pork burger that isnt pork at all its actually tuna in disguise, if it tastes like tuna and looks like tuna, probably is tuna der!!!!! Vile and yep you got it......... Returned, we had a hat trick!!! when the waitress (manager) came to take the meal away and we explained what the problem was she declared "Yes I know, I've had it and its not the best is it?" To which I asked "Well then why is it on your menu as a favourite of the chefs and marked with a heart ( a sign of good choice?)" She didn't reply but said she would take the meals we had complained of off of the bill plus a 50% discount for our troubles, I must say the staff were extremely polite and we almost felt sorry for them, they did appear embarrassed and said they were governed by marstons and had to do what they said. Marstons do you even listen to your own staff/management? No! well you should or at least give them permission to warn the diners off of the catastrophes plated up. Could it be that the cleaner in charge of the toilets was in fact covering for the chef that night as that would explain why the ladies toilets/sinks were so filthy if the cleaner was busy in the kitchen that day? Just a thought. Despite our disappointment with the food and service I have to say the staff were always polite and apologetic (although they seem to have one speed, snail pace) and our refund came without us having to ask for one. I have been here many times over the years and I just dont know what has happened in this pub that was a favourite for many of us, service has always been slow here but this experience has probably frightened us off for good. If the kitchen cant handle such a vast and varied menu then why not make it smaller and have more chance of getting it right? And what's the point of a buy one get cheapest free when you cant even eat 50% of the order? False economy or what? What a shame. Rant over.

• Visited June 2013