“Marriage reception dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Poole
Broadstone, United Kingdom
“Marriage reception dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

From first making enquiries about holding our wedding reception and wedding dinner at the Hotel du van Poole we were treated with excellent courtesy and importance. Everything was well planned with perfect service and with total professionalism. The staff made everyone very comfortable with even a name place for Mia the pooch. The meal itself was nothing short of perfect with not one complaint from anyone, Would completely recommend for such an occasion.

Harry D

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Christian S, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Poole, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear harrydoyle1,

many thanks for your fantastic review. I will pass on your great comments to all relevant departments.

Kindest regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The branding of the du vin hotels suggests discreet luxury, i am sorry to say in reality the Hotel du vin in Poole falls short of this, firstly parking is so limited by the time you have managed to park you are not in the best of moods. Arrived to be told come back in an hour as our room was not ready, on return we booked in, no concierge or porter, the young lady behind reception offered to carry my luggage which i politely declined as this did not feel right to me. Ok yes i am a bit of a dinosaur. The room was nice fresh clean and not a disappointment at all, we went out for the evening on our return had what was becoming the norm, a complete nightmare to get parked. The bed had not been turned down and the bath robes were made out of sand paper or another abrasive type of material. Had a good nights sleep in a very comfortable bed. Breakfast selection and service was very good. Excellence is about attention to detail and always aspiring to improve, instead of paying between £200 and £300 pound per night stay at an average chain type hotel because overall it will be better value.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Bob L,

thank you for your time writing your review. Any feedback will be listened to and acted on.

Our on-site parking facilities are very limited, due to the age and layout of the hotel. There is a public car park just around the corner which many of our guests use.

Our bathrobes are 100% cotton and classed as Heavyweight Towelling bathrobes. I will have a word with our Cleaning Company to see if they have used a different detergent recently. We never before had any negative comments about them.

It is a company standard only to do a turn down if a guests is requesting one. We certainly will be more than happy to do one on your next stay with us.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed breakfast and service and hope to welcoming you again soon. If you do please contact me directly.(01202 785570)

Herts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We stayed one night in July and booked a standard double room - although took advantage of the reduced price upgrade and ended up staying in a superior too. The room was lovely - although lacked power sockets? The shower was probably the best I have ever used and the roll top bath (not used, sadly) was gorgeous. Negatives :- tell people the car park is on the main road and costs £10 please! Spent ages trying to find a parking space. The Bistro was VERY average pub grub and over priced and the service in the evening was very poor. The reception was very good however.
Lovely hotel overall - but need to improve the Bistro experience - not what we expected from an upmarket chain like Hotel du Vin

Room Tip: Irritated to hear that we paid for the upgrade when other guests got it free of charge!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Christian S, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Poole, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Jane F,
thank you for your time writing your review.
I am sorry to hear that not all of our services provided met the standards expected. I do admit, the car park is an issue. Due to the age and layout of the building our own parking spaces are very, very limited but a public car park is right next to the hotel.
We are currently in negotiation with the owner of same and hope to come to a positive solution for our guests.
I am disappointed that you found our food of the standard of pub food. We do offer a wide range of food from burgers (home-made) to Chateaubriands. Menus for all our restaurants are designed by our Head Office with quality and tastes of our guests in mind.
Please contact me directly (01202 785570) should you stay with us again.
Southampton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I had a family dinner last Friday evening which was booked for 8 30 pm because we couldn't be accommodated at 8 o'clock.
My sons and their partners ordered starters. We waited nearly an hour for them to arrive during which time at least one member of staff knew we were waiting. Evidently our order had been mislaid!
When the main course arrived my lamb was delicious but the potato dish was over cooked and the top layer was tough.
During the time we were there the restaurant wasn't particularly busy.
However the staff were very apologetic and we weren't charged for the starters. The whole evening was very disappointing and we didn't want to stay for dessert or coffee.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Christian S, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Poole, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear LuckyJ33,

Many thanks for your time writing the review. I do remember the delay for your starters as I worked that evening myself. I really do apologise for that, it was an human arror. We thought we rectified the issue on the night, but I will pass on your comments to all relevant departments.

I have been in the post for two weeks now and generally speaking we are in a little transition period.
May I ask you to contact me directly (01202 785570) should you wish to stay here again, and I will make sure that your stay will be as satisfactory as the last ones.
Christian, HdV Poole
Wallingford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I have stayed here a number of times and have had no issues. I booked on-line and immediately got emailed with an "upgrade your room for a fee" email which I didn't take. I checked in and was upgraded for no cost??
During check in I was asked if I was using their car park to be told there is a fee for parking (never has been before). It must be expensive maintaining that little plot of land. If I was not running late I would have moved my car out of principle.
I dined at their restaurant with a business colleague. There was a Dorset chamber event on and we were clearly treated as less important than the Dorset chamber. We ordered Chateaubriand medium rare it came medium well. at the end of the email we ordered Espresso and were told we could not have it because the coffee machine noise would disturb Dorset chamber of commerce!!!!
Had breakfast the next morning most of it was very overcooked/burned. Expensive stay of lower than expected quality. Will not stay again

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Martin C,

I am sorry to hear that this particular visit to our hotel has not met our standards we are striving for. But I am pleased that at least in the past we did.
Christian, HdV Poole
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We stayed on the Sunday deal that they have at the moment where you spend £75+ in the bistro for a cheaper room. The room was lovely. Well set out and very comfortable. We had a few problems with the air conditioning, but the staff were really helpful and fixed everything for us.

Our problem with the stay was the food. Our evening meal was really disappointing. My husband's £20 rump steak was ordered rare and came well done and chewy. I ordered rump of lamb which was also overcooked. Both expensive meals that could only be compared with cheap pub grub. I ordered the trifle for pudding and it was really average. The whole meal cost well over £100 and really disappointed us both. The staff, however, throughout were excellent.

The breakfasts were then unfortunately a farce. On arriving we were offered tea or coffee. We were given the tea and coffee however no mugs or cutlery. They appeared to be very short staffed, but also quite behind in the work that needed to be done. After 15 minutes we ended up asking for both cutlery and mugs. My husband's coffee was full of bits. It was very odd. The buffet was fine and finally we were offered a full cooked breakfast. Once it arrived, the food was fine too. Luckily it was a beautiful morning and sitting and waiting in the sun was lovely.

Overall - our stay was marred by an expensive bill for an average stay. Room was great. Staff were overall pretty good. Food was really under-par.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Christian S, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Poole, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear elliecowan,

thank you for your valued review.
I am really sorry to hear that you haven't enjoyed our food offering and I have passed on your comments to our Head Chef, Darren Rockett, who will look into this in much more detail. I also will have a conversation with the Restaurant Manager, Kat Teversham, to make sure that standards at breakfast mirror the ones for dinner.
May I ask you to get in touch with me to discuss further. (01202 785570)
Kind regards

HdV Poole
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Although the decor is lovely, and the rooms, restaurant and terrace are clean, tasteful and pleasant to be in, the thing that let's this hotel down is the lack of staffing. There were so many mistakes with our bookings, meals, stay (even little things such as our newspaper wasn't delivered) that it just seemed that the staff were too stretched.
The restaurant was nice!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Gemmagrdn,

many thanks for your time writing your review.
I am sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your stay here with us as much as we all would have liked.
Could you please contact me directly (01202 785570) to get a more detailed account of your experience.
Kind regards
HdV Poole

Been to Hotel du Vin Poole? Share your experiences!