“great location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Poole
“great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Thistle in Poole whilst attending the Beach Polo. I chose thistle as i often stay in the one in Euston and never have any issues. I agree with some of the other comments where the place is a bit dated but it is going through a re-fit so watch this space. I was impressed with the toiletries, bath robes and slippers which normally you pay a premium for. the room was tidy and had a great sea front view, we were on the first floor and didnt have any issues with noise. would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Elle G, Operations Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Bba123,
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor, and I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you will stay with us again for next years polo - where I am sure you will see the difference in our rooms as a result of our soft refurbishment programme.
Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Good location on the quay, hotel is clean, rooms are well equipped and the staff are helpful and friendly. Robbie offers excellent service in the bar and restaurant, Chris and Jamie were also doing a very good job. Laura on reception is very friendly and offers a very warm welcome. A good stay, close to many attractions and restaurants. Although breakfast service during the week is not the best, having to gain waiters/waitress attention for coffee/tea as they were more interested in preparing tables for dinner, also some of the hot food appears pre cooked and so dried out. Comfy area for sitting outside enjoying the good weather.

Room Tip: Hotel caters for weddings and parties, so request a room on the top floor (floors can be creaky) at...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Elle G, Operations Manger at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear holidays072,
Thank you for the time taken to write your review, and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the team members mentioned. I will be speaking to the restaurant team so we can ensure we are offering the best service at breakfast. We hope to see you again in the future.
Hythe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Oh dear, this hotel is so stuck in the 80's and needs a good revamp. It looks very tired, the bedroom needed a breath of fresh air as stuffy, bed too small - nearly fell out! Steak had to be returned as too gristly, but the wine was delicious! Fabulous views of the yachts and Brownsea Island.

Room Tip: Choose one with a sea view and ask for a bigger bed!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear NikkiSam,
Thank you for your review. The hotel is a little tired, we are currently rolling our a soft refurbishment programme which has recently seen the public areas completed. The bedrooms are our next focus which we are currently concentrating on. Hopefully you will come back to see us in the future, where I hope you can see the difference we are making!
Cleobury Mortimer, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

The Thistle Hotel is nicely situated on the Quayside in Poole with lovely views over the Harbour and Brownsea Island. I was fortunate to stay during a spell off hot, sunny weather which made the location a real pleasure. The evening walk around the Harbour at the end of each day was a highlight.
The hotel is functional, the rooms are okay if not a little basic. Over the three nights I stayed the service went from good to poor on a frequent basis. Check in was very good, The receptionist was very helpful and accommodated my requests. The restaurant is basic and this is where the level of service deteriorated. Due to a coach party staying in the hotel the "Chef was busy" which meant that anyone wanting to eat at the same time had to wait until the party had finished. Given that the restaurant was only half full I wondered what would happen if it was packed with visitors. The staff in the restaurant are excellent, I cannot praise them enough given the capacity constraints and having to deal with people like me.
Every Tuesday evening in the summer months Poole Harbour is taken over by visiting Motor cyclists. If you like motorbikes you will love it, if you don't you may find the noise levels at 11pm excessive. I must stress the noise came from a very small minority of motor cyclists. This has nothing to do with the Hotel and I am not suggesting there is anything they can or should do. I am pointing this out as I was surprised when I couldn't get to the hotel car park as the roads are closed to accommodate them.
On the third evening I found my room had not been made up, I called down to reception the phone was picked up and put down to stop it ringing. After 3 attempts I went to reception, reported it and was told that housekeeping had gone home, another example of poor service.
Check out was easy and very good.
In summary a bit of a roller coaster as far as service is concerned, the staff are excellent, the location fantastic, the facilities okay, the restaurant very average.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for a room on the 2nd floor with a harbour view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Elle G, Operations Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear GarryR847,
Thank you for the time taken to write your review, and I have passed on your kind comments to the various departments. I am sorry to hear your room wasn't serviced married with the fact that this was handled badly. I would like to apologise for this, I will be speaking to the relevant departments to investigate this. I do hope you will visit us again, and if so please contact me directly to make the booking.
Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Right on Poole marina this hotel takes a little finding but is well positioned on the marina wall. Rooms were of a decent size and the staff were very helpful on checkin - had a view of the car park but given a June stay I spent most of the night on the marina itself.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Elle G, Operations Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Kievia,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Dunstable, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and had a harbour view room. We were celebrating our anniversary and received a card and chocolates which was lovely. I must thank Ian for his excellent customer service. He showed us to our room so we could check we had a good view! Indeed it was a magnificent view of Poole harbour. The hotel is in such a great location it would be hard to find a better place to stay. Our rate included dinner on the first night and again we had a lovely view from our table. The service was great but there was only one other couple dining but the service was always spot on. The room was clean and comfortable and the wi fi was good. The room had a new carpet and soft furnishings but was quite old fashioned apart from the large flat screen TV but it had everything we needed. There is a very comfortable bar area which we did not have time to use as we went out both evenings. If I had to be picky I would say the breakfast offering was not great, the bread for toasting only consisted of white bread and there should be a choice of wholemeal too. Yes, you do have to pay to park but there are plenty of spaces and it is only a fiver per night.

Room Tip: Always go for a harbour view room and ask for a refreshed room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Elle G, Operations Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear SueG56,
Thank you for your kind review, I have passed on your comments to the relevant teams and of course Ian. We very much look forward to welcoming you back here in the future.
Kind Regards
Bury St Edmunds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We were made welcome, the staff were helpful and their smiles genuine! The room was clean, well appointed and comfortable. O.K. a view of the car park isn't ideal, but that's not what we were there for. Breakfast was excellent! I can't comment on the evening meals as we were there for a family birthday party and a buffet was provided. I would happily stay there again. My one complaint is that I don't expect to be charged extra to park at a hotel of this standing.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Elle G, Operations Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear JohnHBuryStEdmunds,
Thank you for your kind review, I have passed on your comments to the teams, and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Unfortunatly the car park is not managed or run by us, but we do have an agreement whereby guests pay 50% of the charge which equates to £5.
We look forward to welcoming you back here in the future.
Kind Regards,

Been to Thistle Poole? Share your experiences!