“Tired and cold hotel in a very good location.” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Quay, Poole BH15 1HD, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Poole
London, United Kingdom
“Tired and cold hotel in a very good location.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

On arrival during the dismal February weather we have had, we found a very cold room and bathroom, and after working out how to switch the wall heater on, it rattled into life pumping out some rather smelly hot air. Certainly too loud to keep on overnight if needed.

The heater / towel rail in the bathroom was stone cold. I asked the receptionist if we could get some heat into the bathroom and she apologised that due to a failure there was no heating in any of the hotel's communal heating, suggesting we keep the bathroom door open and the bedroom heater on full.

Not a great outcome!

The double bed in the room is only just a double! I'm 6ft tall if I stand up straight and my feet were pressed against the wooden bottom bedstead!

We only stayed one night and had not booked the breakfast as the hotel and breakfast we felt were quite expensive for this class of hotel, certainly that on staying there we felt the decoration and fittings in the hotel were decidedly tired.

It is a shame as the hotel is in the perfect location on The Quay at Poole, but we were expecting much better from a big chain hotel.

Could do better!

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the harbour are at a premium for the view. Rooms over the car park are better val...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Floristgimp,
Thank you for your time writing your review.
I am sorry to hear that you didn't fully enjoy your stay here at the hotel. I admit our radiators are a little old but we work our way through the hotel and update rooms and public areas.
I hope when you stay with us again you will see an improvement.
Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

We arrived in Poole and originally were going to book the Premier Inn as their standard is great for the price. Having driven numerous times around Poole (yes it is true about terrible signage) we came to the conclusion that the Thistle was in the best location. Right on the front of the harbour and just a short walk from all the bars and restaurants.

The weather when we arrived was awful, we checked in around 5 pm and the receptions Sally was wonderfully polite, friendly and very helpful. We were upgraded to a harbour view room on the first floor, which was great.

Breakfast was very good, on the Saturday we were served and the Sunday was a buffet affair.

Should we return to Poole we will definitely stay here again without any doubt at all!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ripple326,
many thanks for your review.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the hotel. I have passed on your kind comments on to Sally at Reception.
Oxford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We visited last summer and were asked to wait in the bar as the room wasn't ready and we would be called. An hour later I went back and the receptionist had forgotten I existed. It was extremely busy but she just was not coping. When we did get a room it was lovely.
As we sat alone in the bar, several dogs and owners came in and out and were obviously well known to the staff. One dog was running around in the garden having a lovely time. I like dogs and there was no evidence of one having been in our room, but after listening to one yapping all night and running up and down the corridor I felt like booting it into the sea. We had no sleep and left early, telling the receptionist about the problem. When we got home, we wrote a letter of complaint and only sheer persistence and patience got us any joy. Letters apparently not received, promised refund not happening. In the end we did get a refund. It took several weeks. Would not go back. If your dog wants a nice holiday, go for it. Don't worry about me, I won't be there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear FredaBlogga,
Thank you for your time writing on tripadvisor.
I am surprised to read a review about an occurance going back 6 to 8 month, it must have been a boring rainy afternoon in Oxford.
I consider this matter closed.
Many thanks
Windsor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We stayed for one night only. Room was comfortable and clean, a nice size and well equipped. The staff we encountered were truly lovely, very helpful and made us feel welcome and looked after. The breakfast overlooking the harbour was great. Would stay here again,

Room Tip: Rooms at back overlook the car park - fine if you don't need a view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Lesley H,
thank you very much for your kind review.
It is always nice to hear when guests enjoyed their time with us. Please feel free to get in touch with me directly, for your next stay.
All your great comments have been passed on to our team members.
Kind regards
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Upon arrival I was quite excited at the prospect of staying at the thistle as I'd heard good things! We were there for my mums wedding so you'd think they would go put of their way considering the thousands of pounds spent there but no staff didn't seem that bothered, the room smelt like a care home and was dull and out dated , drinks were over priced and increased as the night went on! £8 for a glass of wine! To top it all of my girlfriend was stuck in the lift for 45mins to only be saved by the fire brigade, after being rescued we were told this has happened before and were offered nothing in return ! This place is dangerous do not go !

• Stayed February 2014
Christian S, General Manager at Thistle Poole, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Lukewatkins,
Thank you for your time writing your review. I am sorry to hear that you found our staff not too bothered. We usually get praised for our staff friendliness and level of service. We host about 95 functions, similar to yours, a year and our reputation is very good. So much so that guests keep coming back to us to enjoy the view, location and service.
On the other hand I was very concerned, when I found out the lift got stuck and this is not a common occurrence. In the last 24 months the lift got stuck twice, unfortunately your girlfriend was one of them. Please accept my apologies and ask your girlfriend to get in touch with me.
We have the lift repaired and a certificate which shows that the lift is fit for purpose. I can email you a copy of same, if you wish.
I can only assume that you had a 250ml glass of wine. Our wine prices range from £6,95 to £8,75 per glass depending what grape variety you prefer.
Please get in touch with me should you wish to return and I will make sure you have will have a great time with us.
Best regards,
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Lovely spacious rooms with great facilities. Superb location near the sea front.

Opted out of Breakfast as £10 a person and there are lots of cafes near by which offer much cheaper options.

Very friendly service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Veganese,
Thank you for your lovely review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our friendly staff looked after you so well. I will forward your kind comments to all staff.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

While the Hotel is a little tired in places the service more than makes up for it. Sally on front desk was so helpful & organised my room service with gluten free options, an egg mayo sandwich & fries. There is plenty of hot water for a bath, big white towels & complementary slippers & robe. The service at breakfast was super great from Bob. He was very helpful & friendly & clearly a morning kind of guy. This was not a one off as I have stayed since & he remembered me & was as charming as ever.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are great as right on harbour & there are binoculars in rooms for your use.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear 50Wendy7,
Thank you for your time writing about your stay at our hotel. We are slowly refurbishing the hotel and the upstairs restaurant and bar will have a new carpet fitted in a month time.
Great to hear that you find our staff friendly and magnificent, I will pass on your kind comments to all departments.
Kind regards

Been to Thistle Poole? Share your experiences!