“Excellent Service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reading, United Kingdom
“Excellent Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Everything was excellent at this hotel and I really like the service. The hotel staff is very kind, polite, prompt and helpful.

Room Tip: The hotel is located in a quiet area, so noise is not an issue.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
GeneralManagerPoole, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poole, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your glowing review of your recent stay with us. I was pleased you enjoyed your room, the facilities that we offer. I have a great team here and will pass on your kind words to them.

I hope to be able to personally welcome you to the hotel on your next stay with us which I hope is in the near future.

Abi Gupta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

stayed here for one night whilst on business the rooms were clean and the shower large and powerful, tv has multiple channels and beds comfy. The evening receptionist was cold and not very welcoming manners and eye contact cost nothing. I would recommend it as a good place to stay if you want to spend a few nights looking around the area. The breakfast was self serve and pastries very good cereals toast and fried hot food available and must admitt been in a few of these hotels and the breakfast was quite good, could have done a few nights here and would consider staying here if in the area again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us. Whilst I am pleased to note that you enjoyed our room and breakfast. I am most concerned to read of your disappointment with our front-of-house team. We work hard to deliver a warm and friendly service and indeed recruit our team on these very same principles. Although I am sure your experience was a "one off" we will take this on the chin and review how we are perceived as we realise the importance of "first impressions".

Please rest assured that your comments have already been followed up and at your earliest convenience please fell free to contact me persoanlly at any time to discuss your stay further with me.

Kind regards
Plymouth,Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

It is some years since I stayed here and for a budget brand they do a good job. The staff were excellent, the wi-fi is free, the breakfast is a full breakfast and they now offer a limited dinner menu. The rooms were updated and comfortable. I live in the USA and know this brand. It is better than the Thistle Poole where I stayed in May. The only thing is that its location is not the best

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I was so happy to read your wonderful review following your recent stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to do this and I have passed on your kind words to my team here at the hotel. I hope to personally welcome you back on your next stay with us.

Kind regards,
Guisborough, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

Just had my second 2 night stay here.
Agree with previous comments about it being a little tired and the hot breakfast options aren't great eating. I've also stayed in quite a number of full service hotels and had worse breakfasts (anyway as the hot options have just been added to 'H I Expresses' it's not a deal breaker for me).
However having stayed in many of these over the years this one is clean, good staff, quiet but well located for bus and train stations and shopping.
My previous 2 rooms have had nice new TVs in with all the digital channels.

Room Tip: Stayed at both sides of the hotel, no real difference in noise levels.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I first and foremost would like to thank you for the positive comments you made regarding the staff, this is very motivational and much appreciated.

I am terrible sorry to learn of your disappointment. It was extremely unfortunate that the condition of the hotel has detracted from the enjoyment of your stay. We would like to assure you that this is not indicative of the normal levels of service and satisfaction our guests experience, and also very much regret that you found the breakfast lukewarm and not good.

We are in the process of refurbishing the hotel during the January - March and since the property has aged, I do agree that there are signs of wear and tear but we do try our best to keep the hotel at the best conditions, and we do not receive many complaints as such as yours, however you it is quite evident that you did not find the hotel at its best state but I can assure you that after the refurbishment you will be visiting into a complete renovated shining property. As per your mention about the breakfast, it is not always the case and I will investigate personally to see what went wrong on that particular stay of yours.

As noted from your comments, I can assure you of the fact whenever you visit us the next time, we will make every possible effort to live upto our promise that we always do on a day to day basis. You are a valued guest for us and we will make you feel valued. We would love to have you back in the hotel for a nicer stay, please do contact me whenever you wish to book in the near future.

We very much appreciate such constructive criticism, as it enables us to make improvements and to provide the high standards of service which our guests expect from us.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me on 01202 649222

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Clean but very poor a raw installations for a Holiday Inn. Will do it for 1 or 2 nights but, seriously, kitchen closing 9pm, really?

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
GeneralManagerPoole, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poole, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that room was upto your expectation, however I would just like to mention that the hotel is going into refurbishment in a couple of Month’s time and the cleanliness is going to stay at the top of our priorities always as you found it. However, please accept my sincere apologies if the dinner timings were inconvenient for you as these are our standard hours of operations but the snack menu was available till late and our staff would have been more than happy to assist you with this.

Myself and the team at the Holiday Inn Express Poole would like to thank you for your custom and look forward to welcoming you back

Kind Regards
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

I stayed in this hotel on business in November 2011.

I regularly stay in hotels all over the world, most commonly those that are positioned in a similar way to the Holiday Inn Express - mid range, convenience and standard-led brands. Out of all of the hotels in this category, Holiday Inn Express is the poorest, and this particular hotel is dreadful.

Reception staff are friendly, polite and helpful. I can't really fault them.

The hotel is a big drab grey box. The theme continues inside as rooms are very dated in their appearance and the standards of maintenance appear to be low.

My room was a double on the second floor. The bathroom is functional and was clean, but is extremely sparse. The sink didn't drain properly and smelled unpleasant, and there was no shower curtain.

The room is fitted with an air conditioner and there is a sheet of instructions. Despite following these the device just did not work and made gurgling sounds every hour or so, waking me up several times.

The TV in the room didn't work, with poor reception on all of the BBC channels. Really irritating after a long day.

The bed was passable, but the 'menu' of firm and soft pillows seems entirely pointless as they are all virtually identical. What if you are sharing the bed with someone else and you both want soft pillows?

The 'free' breakfast is just god awful. Powdery cold eggs, suspicious warm sausages, beans and soggy hash browns are the hot options. The belt toaster is fitted with a big 'don't touch' warning, and doesn't work - it just makes bread hot. Perhaps we're discouraged from touching in case we make it actually work? The coffee is served from a machine that squirts out hot water and instant coffee, and it's really truly disgusting. There are cereal and pastries that make things bearable. I'm not exaggerating, it really is horrible! I wonder if the staff that prepare this food have ever sat down to eat in the way that their customers do?

You might wonder why I am complaining so much about a budget hotel, but that's really my point - this isn't a cheap option. I paid £175 for 2 nights, well in advance. I'd happily accept the hotel as it was if it were cheaper, but at this price, this is simply a rip off. I could easily book a Premier Inn, Ibis or Travelodge for that money.

You are unlikely to be disturbed in this otherwise quiet hotel, and if you are just looking for somewhere to sleep, this isn't likely to offend. But, if you'd like to at least get value for money, I would go elsewhere and choose one of the many independent B&B's in Bournemouth and have a far better experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
GeneralManagerPoole, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poole, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments here in which you detail your dissatisfaction regarding the state of the hotel during your recent stay with us and the breakfast situation. I do apologise that we could not respond to you on the day.

I am terrible sorry to learn of your disappointment. It was extremely unfortunate that the condition of the hotel has detracted from the enjoyment of your stay. We would like to assure you that this is not indicative of the normal levels of service and satisfaction our guests experience, and also very much regret that you found the breakfast lukewarm and not hot.

We are in the process of refurbishing the hotel during the new year and since the property has aged, I do agree that there are signs of wear and tear but we do try our best to keep the hotel at the best conditions, and we do not receive many complaints as such as yours, however you it is quite evident that you did not find the hotel at its best state but I can assure you that after the refurbishment you will be visiting into a complete renovated shining property. As per your mention about the breakfast, it is not always the case and I will investigate personally to see what went wrong on that particular stay of yours.

Thank you again for your contact and for the time you have taken to inform us of your experience.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

I am a regular guest of the hotel, and i cannot fault the staff.
They make it their priority to go out of their way to exceed expectations with their service. In particular, for Sarah, (the red haired receptionist) nothing is ever too much to ask. This is a lovely and rare quality to have in a staff member, and she is a real assett to the hotel.

The only slight problem I have found within the hotel is that the amount of staff working never seems to be quite right. There is either so many of them on one shift that half of them have nothing to do, or it is quite the opposite and they are rushed off their feet! Especially at busy breakfast times! And although it is pleasant that the manager abi, often comes over to chat at breakfast, I can't help but feel that the staff that are rushed off their feet in the background, and maybe it would be more beneficial to help sort out the workloads!

Overall, I am very pleased with the standards that the hotel offers, I would recommend it to anyone staying in Poole.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for putting forward your comments here in which you detail your dissatisfaction with the staff levels during your recent stay with us and the breakfast situation. I do apologise that we could not respond to you on the day.

I would like to thank you for putting forward such nice comments for my staff and I would definitely pass it on to them. I would also like to mention that I take pleasure in personally meeting all our guests during the breakfast times, however we have a shift pattern to work alongside and staff are rota'ed as per the business need, but I do also keep in mind when to help them and assist them with cover as and when required.

As noted from your feedback, I can assure you of the fact whenever you visit us the next time, we will make every possible effort to live upto our promise that we always do on a day to day basis. You are a valued guest for us and we will make you feel valued.

Abi Gupta

Been to Holiday Inn Express Poole? Share your experiences!