“Overpowering Smell of Cigarettes Throughout” 2 of 5 stars

The Merchant House
and 1 more site!
You added The Merchant House to your Saves list
The Merchant House
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   10 Strand Street | Poole Quay, Poole BH15 1SB, England   |
Ranked #21 of 49 Poole B&B and Inns
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Overpowering Smell of Cigarettes Throughout”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I love Poole and the surrounding area and wanted to stay over for the weekend as a birthday treat for my girlfriend. We booked two nights, but only stayed for one.

I booked The Merchant House for two nights and spoke to David over the phone who was very accommodating and helpful. They were quite full but he managed to squeeze us in. I was thankful for this as the Trip Advisor reviews suggested this would be a lovely stay.

We found the place easy enough and the location is pretty damn good: Just set back from the Quay and with private off-street parking. Brilliant. When we arrived, I first noticed two things: 1. David was a very good host and made us feel at home very quickly, and 2. The smell of stale smoke was quite overpowering.

The website clearly stated that this was a non-smoking hotel so I was immediately really disappointed. To be fair, the room didn't smell as bad the communal areas as smoking in the rooms was clearly not permitted. But the smell was present and kept wafting in from under the door etc. We found that the towels smelt of acrid stale smoke, as did the bedding. That being said, the room was well decorated and very clean. Small, but cute. David also provides a local pub-map (thumbs up!!) and some local 'what's on' magazines.

We went out to check out the harbour and on our return there was a party going on in the breakfast lounge, and people we smoking inside and passing lit cigarettes out the windows to their friends. Our nights sleep was dreadful. Whilst the bed was't too bad, our throats were dry and coarse from the relentless smoke. The only way to sleep was with the windows wide open. It was freezing and the only way to stop the windows banging all night long was to tear up the provided magazines and stuff them down the gaps.

In the morning, and with only a few hours sleep each, we were delighted to find a phenomenal cooked breakfast provided by David. After breakfast we decided that we couldn't sleep like that again and would request cancelling our second night. I spoke with David about this. We was very apologetic and said he would refund our second night immediately. This was very good of him.

So not the best stay ever. However, I should say that whist our stay was not the best, there were guests who where having a lovely time. And David is clearly a very good host and it was good of him to refund our second night.

Just bear in mind, you might find The Merchant House a bit uncomfortable if you are not a smoker.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
biggsie_uk, Owner at The Merchant House, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
This guest had arrive at 2pm and complained of smoke 12pm the following day.For some reason he assured me he wasn't going to leave a bad review.Oh well people do suprise me.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

My friend and I don't have trouble getting up and down the stairs with our luggage so we were okay. That's the only thing I would warn older or otherwise incapacitated patrons to watch out for. The bedrooms were small but very comfortable. The bathrooms very updated.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Suffolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We Arrived at Merchant House and received a warm welcome from David. He showed us up to our room. The house was exceptionally clean and the decor inviting. The bedroom was very small, but the bathroom was spacious and new and again very clean. The breakfast was delicious and very well presented. David was a very interesting character and gave us some recommendations on eating out locally. I would stay here again, but maybe have a larger room next time.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Can you imagine coming all the way from Australia to set eyes on Poole Harbour where long ago, some of your master mariner ancesters set sail for the New World? And then, after taking the train from London and eventually locating The Merchant House on foot,( luggage and all) arriving to find NO CONFIRMATION OF MY BOOKING. Well this happened to me on the 3rd of August. Armed with my reservation form marked confirmed by one of Australia's largest travel
agents and supposedly made on July the 7th, David (my host) read it and reread it in amazement. It had never been received in Poole. Contacting the 24 hr emergency no in Australia proved useless and Davids British agent had no knowledge of it. So where was I to stay? All the suites were taken and Poole was packed to the rafters ( Aussie readers will laugh at that) David and Andy swung into action. Andy,( a permanent guest) vacated his room for me so I could have his bed, And so,ever so gratefully I fell asleep to the sound of the gulls. My visit to Poole was a flying one,and I was heading back to London early in the morning. David was up and made me a truly delicious breakfast. It held me in good stead all the way to London. Thank you guys for your kindness, concern and hospitality. I shall be back David, and next time I shall book direct. The Merchant House is deserving of praise both for its hospitality & the care that is extended to their ( unexpected )guests.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Bromley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This was a lovely stop over and we enjoyed a charming welcome. Local recommendations for eating out was welcomed and later enjoyed. Situated close to the quayside with plenty of bars and restaurants. Off street parking was also a real bonus. Breakfast was just fabulous a real work of art. Sadly our room was the smallest in the house which is often expected within a Georgian house, but this was just to small. However the shower was generous and welcomed.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We spent one Saturday night here. The location is close to a wide range of bars and restaurants, but we didn't find the room particularly noisy at night. The full English breakfast was the best one we have ever had, and our hosts were very friendly and helpful.

Reading, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The Merchant House is no ordinary B&B. Set in a delightful Georgian building close to the quay, tastefully decorated (though some might balk at the sculpture in the hall of a woman pleasuring herself) and with a very agreeable host, this should have been great.

Certainly the breakfast was beautifully and imaginatively prepared. But the bedroom accommodation was another story. The Payne room is *tiny*, with a borderline-double bed up against the window, no bedside surface or light, no cupboards or drawers, and nowhere to sit apart from the bed (or the lavatory). We could probably have coped with that - grudgingly - if the bed hadn't been ridiculously soft. Neither of us slept well and we both had stiff shoulders the following day. The only thing large about the room was a damn teddy bear ... the last thing we needed.

Our host, David, was charming if rather passive. He had no idea we were coming - though he was later able to confirm that we had prepaid for two nights - and we had to wait outside until he could be summoned from elsewhere in the town; if it hadn't been for a fellow guest in possession of his mobile number the wait could have been even longer.

When I explained that we were going to abandon our second night because we needed to catch up with some sleep, David was pleasant but essentially useless. He offered us a different room, but since they are all the same price there was no credibility in the notion that it could be any better. He didn't even offer a token refund of the cost of the breakfast we wouldn't be having, which would have at least made him appear sympathetic.

Despite several pluses, at the key function - providing a good night's sleep - it failed. At £120 per night, this place is overpriced.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Merchant House? Share your experiences!