“Would never go here again...” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
England
“Would never go here again...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We used to love this restaurant. We have had many lovely meals and takeaways from here over the years. It has really gone downhill since just before Christmas 2012. The service has gradually got worse and worse.

We ordered a takeaway for us and four friends only to be told we could only have it if we could come and collect it as they were too busy to deliver. I said that was fine but would they honor the Facebook offer they were running for a discount on delivered food. I was told that they would NOT honor it as I was collecting the order... Yeah... Cos they couldn't deliver, go figure.

We ordered the food an hour before we wanted it to give them time to prepare it and us time to drive there. When we arrived I was asked my name and told to take a seat and our food would be ready shortly. Ten minutes later I asked again, they took my name and said it would be a few minutes, this pattern continued for the next 40 minutes. We had a lovely chat with a couple who were sat in eating and they said we were not the first people this had happened to over the course of the evening.I eventually said that if our food wasn't ready we would leave. Food was handed to us quite quickly, we paid and left.

We drove the 10 minutes home and then discovered not only had we been given the wrong food but it was cold. I called them back and was told they were very busy and if we could drive back the would swap the wrong items. They couldn't understand why that was not acceptable. I was offered a voucher off our next meal which I declined as I never want to go back there again. I asked to speak to the manager to be told he was unavailable, they told me he would call the folowing day, I never heard from him.

Basically, don't bother visiting this restaurant. It is grubby, the service is awful and the food leaves a lot to be desired. Better off getting a ready meal from a supermarket, at least that will be hot!

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Stevenage
“THE BEST VALUE and VERY TASTY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This small unassuming Indian restaurant does a buffet lunch for £5.
Sounds too good to be true I know.
Large bowl of salad, little nan breads, crispy onion bhajees always on the menu.
Otherwise vegetables, and curries. Not the hugest selection but always very tasty and
absolutely tops for value.
We think this is delicious and value that cannot be beaten.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kerrville, Texas
“Still as good as it was seven years ago when we were last in Stevenage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Good Indian food, and not just curries, was combined with good, attentive service. The location is excellent, near several hotels.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stevenage
“IT AINT HALF HOT MUM HOME COOKING AT ITS BEST”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I occasionally go to Stevenage to visit a maiden aunt who has constantly raved about the Taj Mahal ,which is situated in the twelfth century surroundings of Stevenages Old Town.

Whist my elderly relative tucked into a Chicken Tikka phal and a pint of Kingfisher I went for the slightly lighter option which was a mixed grill tossed in a sizzling sauce of vindaloo strength.

Sampling both dishes I have to say they were both equally delicious . My Aunt drizzled some 'Mr Naga' chilli sauce onto her phal . I gather this 'off the menu' treat is by special arrangement with the manager . It really added a tang to the proceedings as did the sag paneer which was also quite delicious .

The additional dish of Lamb madras served on a bed of keema rice proved to be the cornerstone of the evening .

Considering we had 7 pints of Kingfisher between and finished with two large brandy's each the price was very reasonable indeed.

I will be going back , without a doubt!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Has Gone Downhill, Sadly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This used to be the best Indian Restaurant in Stevenage by a long way. Since they refurbished it has gone downhill fast. We ordered drinks, I specifically asked for a bottle of beer not draught and was then given draught lager. The food arrived in a timely manner but was tiny portions. I had a Lamb Rogan which was soggy and pretty tasteless. They have a nightclub upstairs now and people are constantly wandering in and out while you are trying to enjoy your meal. In a nutshell, the food was not enough, bland and basically just sloppy. Service was OK but they are more interested in getting people into their little nightclub than they are anything else. Would not go again, plenty of other choices on the High Street that are nicer food, nicer environment and better value for money.

• Visited February 2013