“This is more of a hostel than a hotel.” 2 of 5 stars

Archways Lodge Hotel
11 Hitchin Road, Stevenage SG1 3BJ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Stevenage
Bangor, United Kingdom
“This is more of a hostel than a hotel.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

This hotel does not have any of the facilities you would expect in a place that calls itself a hotel. All you get is a room with a small shower room / toilet. We found hair in the bed, and if you use the tea/coffee on the first night it won't be replenished. Leaving at 8:45 in the morning the reception was closed and so had to leave the key by the hatch.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

Stayed here for a weekend music festival taking place at Knebworth.

Staff were v helpful, and the rooms are excellent.

Recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Ipswich, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I stayed here as I was attending the nearby Sonishpere Festival. It was about a 20 min walk through the old town to/from the railway station and the shuttle buses to the festival. This was fine by me and I enjoyed the walk. Staff were friendly, the hotel was spotlessly clean & the room was excellent. I even had a small kitchen area which included a sink, microwave, fridge, crockery & cutlery. The fridge came in useful for keeping my drink and choccie bars cool!
If I have one gripe it's that I felt the room charge of £95 per night was a bit high given that no breakfast was provided. I was happy to sort my own breakfast (the Tesco en route to the shuttle buses did a fry up and mug of tea for £4) but I feel the room charge should be lower because of this. Having said that, I would have no hesitation using the Archways again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

we were in Stevenage for the Sonisphere festival and the Archways Lodge was really a good choice (ok, it wasn't so much a choice, as it was the only hotel at a reasonable price near the festival ;) ).
room was neat, clean & the mini-kitchen was enough to keep our drinks cold and the coffee hot. only the traffic-noises from the street were a bit odd, but everything else was fantastic!
we've been treated like good old friends from the moment we arrived, and roane & andy (who kept taxi-ing us to the venue and back home in vip-style) were good fun to be with!
staff was really helpful and friendly (as we forgot to buy plug-adapters at home and they somehow checked that for us...) in every way.
hotel is convenient for shops & pubs/bars in the old-town (5 minutes walk).
we hope to get there next year again!

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

The staff are very friendly and helpful,we stayed in one of thier other properties...just around the corner...and had a great 3 night stay...will definately stay there again!
If I had to nitpick it is only that no breakfast is offered...but with the centre only a couple of minutes walk away...that was no problem at all!

sg1 1wz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

I had a budget wedding and I could only afford to take my new wife for a couple of nights in a local Hotel. I was told the Archways was really nice so I told them what I wanted it for. A very big effort was made to make our room very special for our evening and it was not only nice but very excellent. I would strongly recommend this Hotel

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

This Hotel deserves top marks; spotlessly clean rooms. Extremely friendly staff. Very reasonable prices. Handy mini-kitchen area.

I have stayed in quite a few hotels in Stevenage and this is defiantly my favourite, despite the fact that some of the other hotels I have stayed in cost around 30% - 60% MORE than this one.

I have been staying in hotels in Stevenage on and off for a few months now, and now I have found this one I have chosen to stick with it.

The rooms have all the essentials to prepare a meal, which enables me to save money on eating out each night, as I now have the option of eating in.

Jake Fielder

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Been to Archways Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!