“Nice old hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Collection Hotel Cromwell Stevenage

You added Clarion Collection Hotel Cromwell Stevenage to your Saves list
Clarion Collection Hotel Cromwell Stevenage
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   High Street | Old Town, Stevenage SG1 3AZ, England (Formerly Ramada Cromwell Stevenage)   |
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Stevenage
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Nice old hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Requiring a hotel in Stevenage, Cromwell is a good suggestion. Very friendly and personal service - two very tired travelers arriving at 1AM after an exhaustive day of travel could drake the night porter open the bar and pour two lifesaving pints. Thanks!
Rooms are very nice, clean and functional. Internet works, and there is a big parking area behind the building. Several good restaurants in walking distance (if you like curry).
Drawback - do NOT bring bulky or very heavy luggage without pre-booking a room near an entrance. The number of stairways and corridors is - staggering.

Room Tip: Call ahead. Rooms at the back are quiet, but a long hike. Rooms to the street are quiet around 11 PM...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Great location for a local wedding we went to, with plenty of parking, but we had Room 120 by 2 main corridoors and above the bar so very noisy till late and from early morning. Friendly staff, room OK but certain things let it down (drip stains on the wall?) Hence giving this a low score as it didn't reflect the price paid.

Room Tip: Avoid room 120 if you want any peace at all.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Portland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

The hotel has extremely helpful and friendly staff. However the seating in the lounge area is a disgrace. The bedrooms are comfortable and clean but you need to get a room at the rear of the property as those at the front are very noisy=rooms from 312upwards are the best. The outside seating areas are not cleared of rubbish or the ashtrays emptied. We stayed for 5 days and these were not cleared by the time we left and the litter on the ground was not cleared. The breakfasts and meals are over priced especially as there are ample places to eat within a few minutes walk. Overall an above average hotel but improvements needed.

Room Tip: Get 1 at the rear of the hotel - rooms 312 upwards
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Positives & negatives to this hotel I've been using for business during the working week. I've been getting a room just up from reception at back of hotel. Very quiet except taxi rank at back - the cabbies talk loudly till 3 am & then again from 6 am & as no AC had to sleep with window open. Room always cleaned to high standard. Only snag is shower isn't that powerful & with the hard water it is difficult to get hair clean & rinsed properly. I live in Yorkshire sakes where the water is lovely and soft. I recommend bringing bottled water for the kettle so your hot drinks don't have a scum. I had one breakfast which was ok. Service at reception is variable but always polite. Great location & good parking. Stevenage has a real shortage of good business hotels & I think this one is the best of the bunch but not luxury at all.

• Stayed July 2014
Lilburn, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Stayed here for a half a week business trip. I stayed in one of their economy rooms so I did get what I paid for. Being an economy room it was all the way in the back through a maze of hallways and stairs. One of the local businesses had some generator buzzing sound going off sporadically most of the night. But I didn't find it was loud enough to prevent me from sleeping. If your very sensitive to sound you may consider looking elsewhere. T

This being my first hotel stay in Britain there were a couple surprises. I don't know if this is traditional there or not, but the bed had no top sheet, but instead a covered comforter. For summer sleeping I found this a bit too warm. There is also no AC, which in the mild climate I can understand; except opening the window for "fresh air" often meant breathing some outdoor smokers second hand smoke. I had a ground floor, so this was more of a problem for me than if someone perhaps got an upper floor.

For an extra 10 pounds a night you get an all you can eat breakfast. This is the usual continental breakfast of cereals, muffins, and fruit; but also includes a menu of with a cooked hot breakfast.

Overall, the hotel didn't blow me away but I did not find it unpleasant.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Norfolk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Returned here after many many years to break a journey up . It happened to be valentines night. Wonderful warm reception , was even treated by a member of staff from the bar when he passed through . Good start. Lovely oldy world feeling . Room 105 . Poor . No window. No heating in bathroom. No bedside table on left side. Weak wi fi signal. Good size tele. Great parking. We were offered the valentine menu but was extremely overpriced so decided to battle the elements and found a brilliant Indian in town. Returned to hotel for a drink in the bar just after 10 hoping to find a roaring fire ,cosy and warm . No fire, no music a couple of couples sitting obviously after their romantic meal . Very disappointed with ambience so went back to room .

Room Tip: Not 105 no window
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed here as part of the Sonisphere Rock Royalty package and thought the hotel was very nice. There were a couple of issues checking in, as the hotel hadn’t been told about the 12pm check in time we'd been given, and so weren’t expecting us until later. That wasn’t their fault though, more a communication problem by Sonisphere. Which may have been because of the change in ownership in the hotel after the tickets went on sale.

Anyway, we didn’t have to wait too long for a room and they did change the room for us when we realized we were on the ground floor overlooking the car park. We moved to a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the High Street, having been warned it might be noisy at night, which it was a little after pub/club kicking out time, but not enough to bother us and anyway we only heard it as we were getting in at 2am too… However if you're a light sleeper you might want to bring ear plugs or ask for a room at the back of the hotel.

Also worth noting that rooms starting with 300 are in a wing at the back of the hotel which requires you to go upstairs, through a maze of corridors and then (certainly for some of the rooms) back downstairs again. If you have a ground floor room there, it's easier to send one person on the trek to open the room and then the patio door into the car park and take the luggage in that way rather than dragging your luggage up and down the stairs and through all the corridors.

The room we had at the front was very smart and well decorated, I think one of the refurbished ones, a little smaller than you might get in some bigger chain hotels, but perfectly fine for a place to crash after a long day. I liked it better than the one at the back, even though the one at the back was bigger.

The breakfasts were laid on buffet style in one of the banqueting suites for us, I suspect that was done as part of the package we were on rather than being the normal way of doing breakfasts as we had large tables to share, rather than ones for individual parties. It worked well though and the food was hot and plentiful, though we did run them out of hash browns on Monday morning. The potato croquettes served as a replacement item were still good though. The hot food was limited to sausage, bacon, tomatoes, beans scrambled eggs and hash browns. Fried eggs and mushrooms would have been a nice addition, and if I’m getting really greedy, black pudding and fried bread, but we coped without them :-) They had all the other items you would expect to find too, such as cereals, pastries, toast, fruit juices and tea and coffee. It wasn't the most luxurious breakfast ever, more a basic breakfast spread, but it did the job nicely and filled us up.

I’m not sure if I’ll ever need to stay in Stevenage again, but if I did I’d certainly consider staying here again. The staff were helpful and friendly, the hotel was clean, the breakfast was nice and the bed was comfortable, which pretty much covers what I look for in a standard hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front can be noisy, if this is going to bother you change to a room at the back or brin...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Clarion Collection Hotel Cromwell Stevenage? Share your experiences!