“Novotel Stevenage” 3 of 5 stars

Novotel Stevenage
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Knebworth Park, Stevenage SG1 2AX, England   |
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Stevenage
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Stayed here for one night when unfortunately I had to be in Stevenage and this is one of our 'approved' hotels. Very nice public areas and friendly check in. Bedroom corridors look plush but the actual bedrooms are a big disappointment (which after all is the main reason for staying). It smacked of a Travelodge room with very cheap white furniture. The bed was incredibly low and the mattress some type of foam although it didn't feel like memory foam, pillows were also uncomfortable. It was not a great nights sleep. The hotel is right next to the A1(M) and road noise is intrusive.

Room service was good and arrived quickly with nice food and decent portions. Breakfast was also of a good standard and the porridge was up to scratch.

I try never to stay in Stevenage and if I have to again think I will try one of the other hotels.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
General-Manager0992, General Manager at Novotel Stevenage, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we’ve taken note of your comments. I am surprised that they layout of the room was a surprise as all rooms are as we advertise on our website (pictures included). We also have two types of pillows in the bedrooms and the mattress is memory foam. Please feel free to call me on if you would like to discuss. Kind regards, Eric-Enno Snel, General Manager.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Where to start... No record of our booking, rude staff tried to accuse us of not paying, half a second hand loo placed in room, poo on the loo roll, when asked to change said dirty loo roll got no apology and no new loo roll, dusty and dirty kettle, dust in cupboards, sticky substance in drawer, dirty old bedding, broken heater, broken loo flush, marks on walls, dead spiders on the window, stained carpet and really bad mannered staff. We were staying in the area to attend the funeral of a loved one and Novotel made it an even worse experience. No apology at the hotel and when i complained afterwards I was told it was Booking.com's fault they lost my reservation (which I doubt) and didn't even mention my other complaints. Complained again asking them to at least acknowledge my complaints about the standards in the room and of the staff and got another email just ignoring my comments. Complained again but got no reply. If I worked in a hotel that had poo on hotel equipment I would do everything i could to apologise. Dirty and badly managed hotel run by an uncaring, sub-standard company!

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
General-Manager0992, General Manager at Novotel Stevenage, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay, and that there seems to have been some miscommunication about responding to your complaint. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness, and I did send an apology in response to your original comment on our internal guest feedback questionnaire after your stay in October 2013. I was not aware of any correspondence from you after this, and did not realise that you were unsatisfied with my response. As you mentioned that you complained afterwards, I would like to recommend to you that If you are faced with any issues during your stay please report them immediately to reception or the duty manager so we can rectify them and prevent your stay being a bad experience, especially as you stayed for three nights. I am most surprised and concerned by your comment about the staff, as we usually receive very positive feedback about the service and how friendly the team are. Having said that, I can assure you that all of your comments have been investigated by my management team, and the necessary actions taken to prevent such occurrences in the future. If you would like to discuss your experience with me in person, please feel free to call me on 01438 346 100 or email me on h0992-gm@accor.com. Kind regards, Eric-Enno Snel.
Stockton-on-Tees
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Used to stay here on business 10-15 years ago and it was a pretty good hotel. Stayed here recently for one night and was disappointed. The staff we encountered were helpful and friendly but no amount of helpfulness can make up for soft, saggy beds and uncomfortable pillows that lead to disturbed and sleepless nights. The decor left something to be desired, a hole knocked in the door, stained carpet and stains on the bathroom wall. The sleep quality was on a par with our experience with Travelodges - very poor, and we wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
General-Manager0992, General Manager at Novotel Stevenage, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Novotel Stevenage. I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay. But I’m delighted that you commented that the staff where helpful and friendly during your stay. We have two different type of pillows in the room, hence I am surprised about your comment about the pillows but we have noted your comments about the decor and the carpet. Kind regards, Eric-Enno Snel

Been to Novotel Stevenage? Share your experiences!