“This is the worst beefeater I've ever been to” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #124 of 336 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Family Fare
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Main Pub was built in the early 16th Century and still displays its original beams. At the Oyster Reach, food is served all day from either the restaurant or pub menu, including breakfast. Children are welcome with a full children's menu and facilities for babies being provided, kids eat for just £1 at selected times, see website for more details. The restaurant seats 180 people and can cater for parties of any size, including coach parties by appointment. The food is predominantly British with a few Continental ones adapted. Why not make a night of it? Next door is the Premier Inn, all rooms have TV, tea & coffee making facilities, Queen size double bed with duvet and en suite bathroom and shower. The Oyster Reach is situated 1 ½ miles from the town centre and is opposite Foxes Marina on the Waterfront.
Stoke
“This is the worst beefeater I've ever been to”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Well got to reception had to wait 10mins before getting a table and I was 1 of 3 waiting. Finally got seated ordered my drink and meal all came quite swiftly but had to wait around 15mins for my bill and a further 25 Mins to pay it. the couple next to me just left there money on the table and walked out.
Service was very slow I usually pay a tip but I never this time

Meal :- I ordered chicken burger with onion rings and bottomless chips i never got to get a top up on the chips

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Kevin D, General Manager at Oyster Reach Beefeater Grill, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit. I am sorry that the service you received was not to the high standards we expect from our team. We had a team meeting last night and discussed your feedback and the actions we need to take as a team to ensure this lapse does not occur again. If you would like to discuss your visit further, please drop me an e-mail with your contact details to oysterreachipswichgm@whitbread.com . Thank you again for your feedback, which will help us in ensuring we deliver that great experience you expect from a Beefeater Restaurant.

Kind regards
Kevin Davies

ipswich
“Worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We went here midweek and had a lovely meal. The waitress seated us straight away and was very friendly and attentive. Drinks were served quickly and she gave us plenty of time to chose our meals. The menu has improved and we all ordered from the value menu 2 courses for £11.95 and were not disappointed, the food was tasty and hot and we were very impressed. My only criticism of the menu is i think they should offer more vegetarian choices obviously the carnivores won't be impressed but a lot more people are happy to chose a veggie option nowadays and i personally think the menu should reflect this. We have been here a lot in the past and the dining experience can be hit and miss but overall i think that lately the Management and staff have improved and make more effort so well done to them. We had a nice time and went away happy so job done.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Would not rush back!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Myself, mother and 7 year old daughter when to the Oyster Reach for a early dinner on Sat before going to the theatre. After being seated it took over 10 mins before i could get the waitresses attention so that we could order our food and drinks. We ordered a kiddie meal and for the adults Lasagna and linguine only to be told that both were sold out!! (This was at 3.30 pm in the afternoon!!) We then ordered paprika chicken and a chicken and bacon salad. After a long wait our food arrived we were asked if we wanted any sauces to which we requested mayonaise, after another 10 mins this hadn't arrived so had to ask again for the mayonaise. The paprika chicken was only look warm and my salad came without any dressing (menu said it came tossed in mustard dressing) my salad was made up of only lettuce, tomato and a few bits of cabbage. Whereas the side salad served with the Chicken and kids meal had lettuce, onion, tomato cuecumber and dressing. We would have sent the food back, however with the time it took to have our order taken and the food arrive there just wasn't time. When the bill arrived the waitress eventually asked how our meal was. After telling her of our problems she apologised but didn't make any effort to offer us a discount. Would in no way rush back to this pub. There are a lot better ones around this area that i would choose to go to.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kevin D, General Manager at Oyster Reach Beefeater Grill, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
I am truly sorry that you did not have a great experience with us on your recent visit. I have just this week taken over this restaurant as a new General Manager. I have also brought with me 2 new assistant managers as well as a new head chef, and we are all totally focused on ensuring we deliver outstanding food & service 100% of the time. We have a great team here at the Oyster Reach and with a new management team now in place, to guide and support the team, I am certain that your next visit will be memorable for all the right reasons. If you would like to discuss your visit further, please drop me an e-mail with your contact details to oysterreachipswichgm@whitbread.com . Thank you for your feedback, which will be fed back to the team, and will help us in ensuring we deliver that great experience you expect from a Beefeater Restaurant.

Kind regards
Kevin Davies
Ipswich, UK
“Lovely Restaurant and Nice Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Me and my boyfriend love this restaurant. We go there all the time and always have a lovely meal. The atmosphere is lovely and the food is great. The menu is quite small but is still very hard to choose from. If you are looking for a nice place to eat for a couple or with the family, would definately reccomend The Oyster Reach.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“AA Beefeater....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The Oyster Reach is your typical Beefeater... You know what you are going to get before you arrive.... This was as expected, and the service was also fine.
I have to say that I prefer the Harvester chain to the Beefeater chain, but this restaurant is certainly serviceable for a good evening out.
Good service, good food, and a fair price!!

• Visited August 2012