“A lovely table full of food!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Romantic, Doing business
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“A lovely table full of food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Have visited Mr Wings on a number of occasions, most recently for a friends birthday night out... for which they presented a little bowl of ice cream at the end of the meal with a candle in it while happy birthday played to the whole restaurant lol!

We have the all you can eat buffet, which is cooked to order rather than one of those places that have it all out on display, and always come out full and satisfied. I can recommend the plate of mixed hors d'oeurvres as a starter as it has such a selection of goodies and the restaurant will happily swap out something if you don't like it, they also cater nicely for the veggie contingency!

Service is always with a smile and the waiting staff have what I think is a good balance between hovering and ignoring, yes when it gets busy service can get a little slower but that's surely unavoidable, I've never had bad service.

If I was looking for a 'special' restaurant with superior food I would go to Trongs or possibly AquaEight but with adult buffet prices between £16 (Sun-Thurs) and £18 (Fri-Sat) per person for such a tasty feast, this restaurant is good value for money and the food is always yummy.

I recommend booking, especially if the Regent has a show on as it's a very popular pre-show venue and it can get busy over weekends.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We had the buffet picked from the menu. We couldn't eat as much as everyone else but what we had was great. Cooked superbly and for the price, was well worth it. Just go on an empty stomach. If in the area again, will be going again.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My friends and I are always looking for new places to go try and this time it was our turn to book, so we thought we'd try Mr Wings. I have to say the food was excellent, really enjoyed all of it, but in particular the platters of starters that we chose. I would definitely go back and just wished that I could have fitted more in!

The only negative thing I would say is that the decor could do with a serious face lift. They obviously do very well and should consider re-investing to make to look and feel of the restaurant more contemporary. Still this has no effect on how good the food tastes!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ipswich
“Pushed out the door!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is known for its strict table time which I guess is due to the number of bookings they get by being next door to the theatre.
We booked knowing this and had a 90 minute window to eat.

We arrived and were seated promptly, drinks ordered and not long until our appetisers were ordered and arrived. Once the table was cleared we had to wait a good 15 to 20 minutes for our main order to be taken. That was only because what I assume was a manager realised we were waiting, stormed over to check the reservations book, slammed it down, openly told off our waiter and stormed to our table to take the orders. There were no pleasantries at all, he wanted that order taken and food out ASAP and did not care if he appeared rude. The food came out and was a lovely meal but before we were anywhere near finished the waiter demanded we pre order desserts which were then bought out and put on the table with our mains half finished! They then hurried us to eat and took many plates with unfinished food! The bill then arrived before we had even looked at our melted / cold desserts!!

Safe to say we did not leave a tip!!

Its a shame as the food is really well cooked and good value for money however the service was rude and abrasive! They should have apologised to those due to be sat at our table, not treated us so rudely when they were the ones at fault.

if you want a quick in/out meal its fine, but if you're looking to have a take your time enjoy the companyeal then this certainly isn't the place for you!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
“Buffet is great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Normally only visit when going to a show next door , having been taken to a run of the mill Chinese Restaurant by friends we thought we would show them how it should be done. In my view Mr Wing is the best outside London, the buffet is great value superbly cooked and presented, the service exceptional. I am glad I booked as several people were turned away without a booking.

• Visited September 2013