“Cosy, welcoming inn. Delightful hosts and super breakfast.” 5 of 5 stars

Shipwrights Arms Hotel
Shipwrights Arms Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55-61 Wherstead Road, Ipswich IP2 8JJ, England   |
Ranked #18 of 23 hotels in Ipswich
“Cosy, welcoming inn. Delightful hosts and super breakfast.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

The landlord and lady are charming and went out of their way to make our stay comfortable and relaxing in every way. There is a terrace, conservatory for dining outdoors as well as a cozy wood-beamed inn dining area. Our breakfast (pork-free option with chicken sausage and chef's speciality made of Aztec seeds!) was the best we've had in recent memory! Parking was convenient and plentiful. We took the suite which was well equipped and comfortable. We will certainly be returning when next in Ipswich, the accommodation is very good value and service exceptional.

• Stayed September 2012

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at The Shiprights for 3 nights whilst working in Ipswich.

I phoned and spoke to Mac whilst on a train to Ipswich needing somewhere nice to stay.

As I was booking last minute I haggled him down to 45 quid a night for single occupancy in a double room instead of £55.

After my 3 night stay I felt embarrassed for quibbling over a tenner. They picked me up at the train station. Anne dropped me into town every morning. They drove me back to the train station at the end of my stay.

Money wise that saved me 30 or 40 pounds. What struck me, however, was the genuine kindness of Mac and Anne.

The full English Breakfast was excellent. The Lady that cooked it also served it. She asked me every morning if I enjoyed it and was really pleased when I said it was great.

For £20 more a night I could have stayed at a premier inn or travelodge etc.

I am glad that I followed my instinct and found The Shipwrights Arms.

Mac and Anne are traditional Innkeepers. So refreshing and reassuring to be looked after so well.

• Stayed June 2012
Zürich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Great place to stay, within a stone's throw of Ipswich town centre and also the waterfront. Friendly hosts and a spacious room which was very clean. Free wi-fi and a hearty morning breakfast. I would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
home
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Booked by my wife as I was still on the road at 2030
Arrived at 2100 and was still offered an evening meal. Although a fleeting overnighter I found The Shipwrights to be spotlessly clean and extremely welcoming

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

If you want a value hotel with great hosts,this is for you. No airs and graces, just friendly, relaxed service. Room was large, clean and comfortable bed with tv, sky, tea and coffee making facilities and hairdryer. The bar and restaurant was great and good value for money. All the staff were open, friendly and happy to help. The owner booked us a table at a chinese restaurant in town without any prompting and you really felt they were sincere in their desire to make your stay pleasant. The breakfast was brilliant, plenty of it with unlimited tea and fresh coffee. if your after silver service don't bother but if you want a home from home, relaxed, welcoming stay, you will love it. 10 minutes walk to the centre of Ipswich and it's lovely mix of old and new with the benefit of a fabulous marina. We will definitely return. Thank you for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed July 2012
Brentwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I stayed at the Shipwrights Arms Hotel last night and can honestly say it was first class. The staff make you so welcome you don't want to leave. The rooms are much better than the Premier Inn just down the road and it's not as expensive. I will certainly be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
coventry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Thanks to the staff at Shipwrights, anything you asked for Mac and Anne, would make sure it could be done.
The pick up and drop off to the railway station was a bonus., but it was only a 10 min walk, if you know the way.
Food at the Shipwrights at night, is a must, i recommend the scampi and chips.
Room was very clean and tidy, and spacious.
only bad point over the time i spent there, the flood! (from the rain that we had) which closed the kitchen and bar.
But i would go back.
very nice room, food and staff, made the weekend ok, even if the weather didnt.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Shipwrights Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!