“Big improvement” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell

You added Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Havens, 2 Ransomes Europark, Ipswich IP3 9SJ, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Ipswich
London, United Kingdom
“Big improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on 28th & 29th June, to be honest only chose it because of the deal I could get for for the 2 nights with breakfast and dinner on the first night. My husband & I go to Ipswich regularly to see family but on this occasion it was a treat for my niece. We prefer the HI London Road, facilities and staff and the last time we were at the HI Orwell, the service, food and facilities left a lot to be desired.
I have to say that things have improved greatly, I spoke to the hotel before we arrived to request ground floor rooms and 1 accessible room - these requests were duely noted and on check-in we were located close to the reception. The staff group have changed, very much for the better.
Dinner on the first night was delicious, the choice and standard of food was a huge improvement. As we had dinner included we were allowed £18.00 per person against the menu, this enabled us the freedom to choose what we wanted from the specials menu or the ordinary menu. Breakfast was good, plenty of choice and friendly staff.
The only blip was on checkout - the bills delivered to our room were incorrect, the bills were requesting we pay for breakfast on each day. When I went to the desk I explained the bills were wrong and showed them my paperwork, the inital person spoke to was not able to resolve my query and so it had to be referred to the manager. He fixed the problem straight away - it was a shame it was not done straight away.
Big improvement all round, however, we were lucky there was no wedding/function at the hotel that weekend, this can mean things get a bit hectic at breakfast/in the bar area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
jason s, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review on our hotel.
I recently took over as General Manager and I am pleased you have noticed some of the changes we have implemented in terms of service. I am also delighted that you enjoyed your evening meals and breakfast. I will of course, pass your comments on to the Hotel team.

With regard to the issues you encountered regarding your invoice I have investigated this with our Reception Manager abd wold like to assure you have put into place steps which will ensure the problems you encountered are not repeated.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn, Ipswich-Orwell in the not too distant future.

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Surrey UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed for two nights over the weekend of 21/23 June 2013. Four adults in two king rooms. The staff went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed and wanted! 10/10 for customer service.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay with us.

I will of course share your comments with the team here at the Holiday Inn, Ipswich-Orwell as I feel it is important that they hear all feedback both the good and no so good.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn, Ipswich-Orwell in the not too distant future.
Newcastle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights on business. As a frequent holiday inn guest I found this one to be a mix of holiday inn and travel lodge. The major downside is that bedrooms lack air conditioning and have window locks preventing them being opened more than an inch or so. This isn't enough to ventilate and cool the room, but too much to stop the noise of the A14 from disturbing any chance of a decent nights sleep, (though actually the bed was quite comfy.) Bathroom look tired and some closer attention to cleaning wouldn't hurt, especially round taps.
Dinner in the hotel was disappointing. Very limited veggie options and even for meat eaters my steak was disappointing in that the garlic butter on the steak stood no chance of melting as the steak wasn't very hot. It was also served on a weird piece of slate which added nothing to the food or dining experience. The set menu had a bit of a winters theme to the choice of food on offer, which was odd in June. Breakfast was much better, though you have to look hard to see what is in the giant tureens, (harbouring 3 breakfast items in the depths under the lid, such that people missed finding them!). Much is made of pancakes for breakfast, but they are cold! (And also suspiciously appeared as a dessert on the evening set menu ..... Maybe too many left over!) some way of keeping them warm during breakfast service would be nice.
Overall I chose this over similarly priced hotels due to location, but couldn't endure a second nights dinner in the restaurant, opting instead for a taxi ride into town. Given that, I would probably opt to stay in town next time where there is a greater eating choice.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
jason s, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback on your recent stay with us.
Regarding your feedback with dinner, we are trial site for a new menu within Holiday Inn and have used your and other guests feedback to influence changes in the menu choices for vegetarians, as well as introducing more specials on the menu. I am please you enjoyed breakfast and we have taken on board your feedback regarding pancakes and now our chef comes into the restaurant and cooks them fresh.
We have also noted your comments regarding the room cleanliness on board and steps have been taken to rectify the issues you encountered. We have also noted the comments you make about the rooms looking tired and along with our Head office looking at the best way to refurbish our bedroom stock.

Thank you again for your constructive feedback and I hope to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn, Ipswich-Orwell in the not too distant future.
Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I recently stayed there for 2 nights must say that the staff and hotel was excellent.. My complaint was that the evening meal option for a vegetarian was zero nothing at all. All my partner had to eat was salad , chips and coleslaw .I was told by staff that there used to be vegetarian options but thay had all been removed from the new menu.If this is now the policy of HJolliday Inn I would advise all vegetarians to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
jason s, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Paul,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn, Ipswich-Orwell.
I am pleased that in the main you enjoyed your stay and your kind words regarding the hotel team have been passed on.

In terms of the lack of vegetarian options available, and as I explained to you in our telephone conversation, we have been picked as only 1 of 3 hotels from over 130 Holiday Inn Hotels in the UK to trial a new menu concept. We have have taken on board your comments and now offer a daily changing vegetarian dish, which will be cooked fresh from our kitchen. We have also passed on your feedback to Holiday Inn and we would expect to see an increased vegetarian offering on future menus.

Thank you again for taking the time and trouble to give us your feedback and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Our last stay was marred by rowdy wedding guests who caused a furore from 1 - 3 in the morning... this time was blissfully peaceful and the breakfast was excellent... would stay there happily... even more as you get free access to David Lloyd and its open air pool :) STILL could do with signing for the Hotel and not it's former identity (the Marriott!)

Dear Sir

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, I am glad you appreciated our breakfast as this is something we are especially proud of. I am delighted that you enjoyed the free access to the David Lloyd Leisure centre as we feel it is a fantastic facility.

You mentioned the signage and that it needs replacing, I have only just started in my role here at the Hotel, but rest assured I will be looking to address the signage in the coming weeks.

Yours sincerely

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Holiday Inn can sometimes be a bit hit and miss. This one was more on the miss side. It is very tired. There are a number of places where the paint is peeling. The rooms are tired and dusty with little charm. My room was stuffy, and the window could only be cracked open an inch. The nearby motorway can be very noisy at times, which made it worse. The staff were very stressed when I went to check out (probably as there were many others also checking out at the same time), and were rudely snappy. That left a very bad impression, and I would think twice about going there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Robert B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room conditions, and your interactions with the staff prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bolton England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We used this hotel as a stop over before we took the ferry to Holland, it was much further away from the ferry port than we thought though! Anyway, it was a lovely, clean hotel with a comfortable double room. The staff were helpful & polite. There was a wedding going on the same day & the atmosphere was really lovely. Despite it being situated near a busy road, it was set back enough & is surrounded by trees & gardens giving it a more secluded feel.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your feedback.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you found the staff helpful and polite and the rooms clean.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely

Jason Stringer

Been to Holiday Inn Ipswich-Orwell? Share your experiences!