“A great base for a short stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Premier Inn Ipswich South
Bourne Hill | Wherstead, Ipswich IP2 8ND, England   |
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Ipswich
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“A great base for a short stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have stayed here before on my own but this time I brought my wife. Like last time, I found the entrance arrangements in to the car park a little strange-I am used to using the first opening as the entrance but the sign attempts to direct you in to the second opening which I resisted. The car park was full and we had to resort to parking in an unlit area of the car park round the back. A little more lighting in this area would be beneficial to both safe walking and to the security of the vehicles parked there.
Checking in was a breeze and took no time at all and we were told about the Good Night Guarantee and the breakfast arrangements. We were allocated a room on the ground floor and upon waliking in to the room my immediate thoughts were how clean it looked. Last time I stayed, my room looked tired but this time, the paint looked fresh and it was good to see a big flat screen TV on the wall. The room was cold initially, but once I had wacked the thermostat up to it's maximun the small wall heater sprang in to life. However, the room heater did not manage to overcome my initial coldness and never did during our stay. I personally would prefer to get the room up to about 30 degrees and then to turn the heating down once I have got over the initial chill. So this slightly took the edge off our stay because the only real way to get warm was to sit in the car with the heater on! The other slight disappointment was that the bathroom appeared to be uheated and was therefore very cold.
We did not eat any evening meals in the adjoining Oyster Reach pub, as we find that brand of offering quite expensive. It is better value for money when there is an offer on, but on our first night there even if we had wanted to eat, the bar area was closed to diners because the restaurant was busy! In the bar, which was virtually empty, all beers were available and I drank the Becks Vier which I thought was reasonably priced.
I had booked breakfast for both of us for every morning of our stay and because the breakfast roomis in the adjoining pub it is not the "Help yourself free for all" like you get in certain Premier Inns. You still help yourselves to juices, cereals, toast and hot drinks but the breakfast order is taken and the food brought to you when it is cooked. Having said that, you can still eat as much or as little as you like. I prefer this method because I think the bacon is better quality and the fried eggs are fried fresh and have not been hanging around under a lamp and going hard! Also, the breakfast staff were delightful.
All in all, the offering here at Ipswich South pretty good. Keep up the good work!!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet night, ask for a room on the top floor because the sound travels down from occup...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed two nights as a party of seven in four rooms. Room very comfortable and facilities exceptionally clean - most looked almost unused. Spare pillows and towels in room so no need to ask. Breakfast in the restaurant next door was freshly cooked and hot. A great base to attend a family wedding. If all Premier Inns are up to this standard will not hesitate to try them again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Friendly helpful staff with modern and clean rooms. Car park a bit small but I did get a space. I prefer restaurants in the hotel rather than next door so I didn't have breakfast but the pub did look nice. Staff ordered taxi for me no complaints at all

• Stayed January 2013
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Booked a £29 family room and couldn't have been better!! Fabulous, large, clean, modern room with everything we needed. Bed was a little hard for my preference ( but I'm fussy!!) Staff very friendly and helpful. Check in was fast and efficient. Large TV, good heating, great shower! Breakfast next door in the pub was very good and very cheap as kids ate free and we got a £1 off voucher in our room, so full breakfast with unlimited drinks and toast/cereal for £16 for the whole family!! Would thoroughly recommend...have stayed in £150 per night chain hotels that could learn a thing or two from this Premier Inn!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
norwich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I was plesantly surprised when arriving at this hotel. I stayed one night for a swimming competition in Ipswich.
The room was spacious, exceptionally clean with a large flat screen tv. Bed was comfortable, good heating controls and additional pillows. What more could I want. Hotel staff were friendly and there is a restaurant just across from the hotel. We ate there in the evening and for breakfast. Menu was adequate for that type of restaurant and the food certainly up to my standard. Breakfast had a good choice with the offer of porridge with the continental choice.
I only paid £29 for the one night - great value, I'll be back next time I'm in Ipswich.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed here from the 14-17 January,after booking in I found the room clean and warm (weather conditions - Snowing) at 0030hrs the fire alarm went off in my room for no apparent reason other than they were "sensitive" hence all occupants evacuated to standing in the car park awaiting the fire service at 0100hrs. not good.
The following evening I went to reception to collect the meal voucher,on entering the restaurant at 1800hrs I was asked had I booked a table ? No, as I had not been told this was a procedure I had to follow and the receptionist had not pointed this out at any given time , I was then informed the next available table was at 2015 hrs,seeing the restaurant was empty I did query this and was informed that a table of 20 were due in so they were unable to accommodate myself, on pointing out the previous evening I had spent a total of 15 minutes in the restaurant, ordering,awaiting and eating my food I did not think the refusal was valid and questioned it ........ only to be told No again.
Its a shame some people these days are not taught the art of common sense or have we brainwashed staff into being unable to think outside the box. !!!!!! Wont be going here ever ever again !!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Whitbread-77, Naina - Social Media at Premier Inn Ipswich South, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your review.

At Premier Inn our main objective remains to deliver a high level of customer service in all our establishments. We apologise for the service you experienced at our hotel.

Your comments have been noted and will be duly investigated by both Head Office and the Management Team at our hotel.

Please be assured at Premier Inn we take the service provided to all our guests very seriously and your feedback will be duly followed up.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay we do hope that we can welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Naina

Online Customer Service Team,
Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants.
Warminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed one night early December catching up with family living locally. Reception staff friendly and helpful, our room was spotless. Bathroom spotless and the shower excellent. Tea and coffee making supplied and flat screen TV impressive. The bed was very comfortable with extra pillows supplied and the room spacious. We even had a view of the Marina.
We had dinner in the Beefeater, pre booked as it was Christmas season. We all ordered different meals (15). The service was excellent, fast, friendly and we all got exactly what we ordered. Some feat with such a large group!! The quality of the food was very good. The 3 children particularly enjoyed the party atmosphere. Breakfast was very good. I couldn't fault the experience and it was far better than some 4star establishments I have stayed in. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Premier Inn Ipswich South? Share your experiences!