“Glad I've Been” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
UK
“Glad I've Been”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Been wanting to try this restaurant since I first saw it but due to small children and the like, getting out in the evenings, with the wife, is a tad tricky. Still, finally managed it at the weekend and am glad I did.

Most reviews on here have explained the concept - it's a South American carvery in effect with various meats on offer being carved off large skewers at your table. You can then head up to the 'salad' bar to grab sides. Now, this section composes 60% salad and 40% hot sides, like chips, potatoes, rice, pasta etc. I don't think I saw anyone getting cold salad, only the hots sides, so I think it would be good to expand the amount of hot sides available and can some of the salad.

Anyhoo, this is a 'one course' restaurant. At least, from our experience that's what it was. You certainly wouldn't need a starter but a dessert would have been nice. Maybe they do these but we weren't informed. And here, was our biggest gripe - with the waitresses. They were friendly enough but just not on the ball. We had to ask twice for both some water and the bill due to being forgotten/ignored, and it wasn't that busy. They also took our dirty plates/cutlery but then never brought clean ones. The meat guys (passadors) were great and as long as our wooden block was green-side-up, we had a near constant supply of meats, ranging from rum steak, to chicken hearts, to pork ribs. I found all the meats to be well cooked and very tasty. Yes, they are a tad over seasoned and if you're on a low sodium diet, forget it, but I was OK with it.

So, if there was an option to rate for 'Good' that is what I would go for as this was above average. There wasn't much atmosphere and my wife said it reminded her of a canteen as it was quite bright. I've done it now though, so am happy. Would I rush back? Probably not. Would I go back, quite possibly. I imagine if you're in a larger group it would be more fun as you could make your own atmosphere. Plus, you do need to be hungry and like your meat to get the full value for money. If you fall in to this category, it's certainly worth a visit.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London
“A disappointment...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Me and my partner visitied here last Friday. Having walked past a few times on a weekend it always seemed very popular so thought we would give it a try.

The restaurant offers two sittings in an evening, I believe these are 6:30 and 8:30; we chose to go for the later seating. Before the meat comes round you are offered a hot buffet of Chips, Salad, Hot and Cold meats etc however even though the restaurant wasn't full there was not enough to go around. Many of the dishes were empty by the time we got there and not replenished.

Soon after the Meat came around, we didn't however have the green/red wooden indicator on our table as supposedly they had run out as many had been stolen!? As such we were overlooked most of the night and considering it wasn't that busy it is just poor service and very unproffesional. We complained to the waitress who spoke with the waiters bringing the meat but nothing changed, considering it is not the cheapest of restaurants I had expected better service.

Having been to many Brazilian restaurants that offfered this format of service I was extremely disappointed. The positive reviews on here are misleading, the quality of both the meat and buffet isn't great, however if you're more about quanitity than quality im sure this will be right up your street - assuming you get served of course....

As an alternative I would recommend Alaturka Turkish Restaurant. This is located on the same road and we went here the week previous when we missed the sitting time at Rios. The quality of Service and Food is far superior than Rios for the price and I can't recommend more highly.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
ipswich
“Non Stop Feast :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Brilliant, its like an all you can eat (Atkins Diet) - freshly cooked hot meat of all varieties. Steak so tender not sure how it stays on the skewer, Chorizo sausage tasty, Gammon fresh from joint, Spicy chicken really was spicy, Lamb was heaven, Pork with parmesan - why didnt i think of that. Salad and Hot Buffet also plentiful. OK you may think its a pricey 'all you can eat' but basically its a fixed price meal and the food is so good that in comparison its very good value. As long as you are not a vegetarian i'm sure you won't be disappointed PS: The sangria is good too!
Only criticism was some lack of atmosphere and they were obviously short staffed on a busy saturday night but all stayed cheerful. Still very good overall.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Try the Chicken Hearts!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

A group of 4 of us visited on a Tuesday evening (a 1st time for all of us). We were all impressed with how everything worked and the selection available.
Before going to the restaurant we had a look at the website and saw that they serve chicken hearts. After we had all had enough I asked the server about them and they said that they only cook them to order as most people are put off by them. He offered to cook us some and im glad he did!! A small treat.
The atmosphere was a little dull as there were only 2 other tables but the server made up for this with his happy nature and comical comments.
All in all a good night out and I have already booked a table for my next visit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ipswich
“Salty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

FIrstly the restaurant was clean so that was a positive however, I found the staff pushy and even though we put our indicator on red they still kept trying to ram food down our throats as fast as they could so you couldnt enjoy your meal. Secondly, there was plenty of cheap cuts (sausages, chicken etc) but the better meats were few and far between. Everything was incredible salty and over seasoned and has left me feeling ill this morning. The salad bar was pretty good but its pretty good in pizza hut so it should be. Also, there is only one gents toilet and i found it really bad that i had to queue for the bathroom in front of other diners and they could hear all the 'noises' coming from the lavatory. All in all, there are significantly better places to go for the money especially considering all you get is effectively a one course meal. Avoid.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere