“Bland & Overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Bland & Overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

What is it with pub grub these days? The menus talk the talk, but fail to represent what arrives on your plate.

This is a lovely place and certainly talks the talk, but the food just doesn't live up to what the menu would entice you to believe.

The flat mushrooms with goats cheese starter had flavour, but were dry - in fact, far too dry to be presented on more dry, biscuity toast. Still, there was always the main course to redeem first course...

Having opted for an exotically described seasonal salad with seared salmon in a lime salsa, I was expecting a mix of flavours to be waiting for me. What a disappointment; maybe it was the stronger flavoured starter that tainted my tastebuds, but this was possibly the blandest fish based dish I have ever tasted (if there was anything to taste). Not even extra pickle or mayo could improve things, it was just bland, bland, bland.

The Eton Mess for dessert was nice enough - but let's face it, it's not difficult to get puddings right when you're working with sugary flavours.

Even the filter coffee was weak and if you opt for Spring water to drink with your meal, take my advice and drink it out of the bottle if you don't want to smell the dishwasher on the glass.

All I can say is, I'm glad I wasn't paying and if I wasn't part of a large group of diners, I would have certainly complained about the food.

Can't fault the service though, the waitress was totally on the ball and remained attentive. No doubt I'll be down here again staying at the Premier Inn next door, but I won't eating any Beagle grub again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Underwhelming dining experience, very intermittent service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I had our first date here back in February so we decided to mark 6 months by going back in August. Glad to say I left a longer and better impression upon her than the pub did!

On this occasion we found the service of little more than acceptable standard, nothing wrong, we just didn't feel as though anyone cared much. I also take exception to waiting staff wearing jeans, which most appear to here.

The quality of the food is also standard pubco fare, pre-packaged and uninspiring. Sadly my girlfriend's first choice drink and first and second choice main courses were not available, leaving a narrow choice for someone with allergies etc. When presented, the food is sparsely arranged: the portions look small on big dishes and the quality doesn't make up for the size.

As mentioned, the service was a little underwhelming, which was very disappointing given this particular visit we had a £20 complimentary voucher from the pub following a complaint about similar issues on a previous visit. Despite telling staff up front that we had the voucher, and our server clearly understanding why, this appeared insufficient motivation for any improvement in what we experienced. Sorry to say but even before finishing our mains my girlfriend and I vowed not to return to the Beagle.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“First time....last time.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

As we were a party of 8 and we wanted a meal on a Friday evening in summer we booked well in advance. We were told that we could have a table at 6.30 or 8.30 - we chose the later time.
After ordering drinks we were shown to our table at 8.30 and ordered our food. By 9.30 we were getting rather hungry, the waitress then told us there would be a further delay and brought us bread and olives (free of charge – great deal). Eventually the meal arrived at 10.00 by which time the younger members of the party were nearly too tired to eat.
The food was O.K. We certainly didn’t say “Well, that was worth the wait”. The seasonal salad was mainly made up of large coarse lettuce leaves, turning brown at the edges, and the king prawns with the tuna steak were very small.
We found the staff to be pleasant but the organisation of the service atrocious. We had booked, we arrived at the time suggested and we waited one and a half hours for our meal!!

Visited August 2013
South Coast, England
“Avoid”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Didn't have benefit of reviews before visiting as passing trade. Bar service at 3pm was woeful - a second staff member tried to help but was under-trained. The food order actually turned up within 20 mins and was quite ok although only sandwiches/hot filled baguettes style. The second round of drinks threatened to steal another 20 minutes of my life so we vacated.
We have a Vintage Inns place very local to me in Sussex - it suffers similar reviews and has previously given us tokens for free meals, all indicative of dreadful top-line management or recruiting. They need to get their act together it seems.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hailsham, United Kingdom
“With a bit of effort.........”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Having read a number of the reviews here,I almost decided to eat elsewhere, but, as I was staying at the Premier Inn next door on business, and was rather tired after a long day of driving, I decided to give it a go. It wasn't a great start! I attempted to reserve a table at the Premier Inn Reception, only to be told that they don't reserve tables for one! Being next to a Premier Inn, much used by Business Travellers, who are often alone, this seemed like a short sighted policy.

When I went into the pub I was told there was a 50 minute wait for a table in the restaurant, so I opted to eat in the bar, which was comfortable and welcoming. I found a table and proceeded to wait for the previous guests' dishes to be cleared away. I waited for quite some time and was dismayed to see staff doing everything possible to avoid my eye, or to come near my table. Eventually I placed my order and had my table cleared.

The food was good.....not excellent, but good, and very reasonably priced. A decent selection of real ales also helped to pass the time between courses.

The service was mixed, with a couple of the over stretched team showing signs of strain, and struggling to remember that a smile and a cheery word help to improve the customer experience. However, there were also a couple of sunny personalities on display. The result was that my starter was banged down on the table without a word, by a somewhat sullen individual, while my mains and dessert were delivered with a smile and some pleasantries. The team were stretched, as it was a busy session, and maybe the management need to review their staffing levels.

All in all, a good meal and, although the service wasn't perfect, the combination of decent food, excellent ale and very pleasant surroundings would certainly bring me back.

Visited July 2013