“1970's style with unfriendly staff..” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 41 Activities in Ipswich
3 attraction reviews
“1970's style with unfriendly staff..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

This review is about the overall place not just the spa! I used to be a member and went 2/3 times a week.
My husband is still a member but very unhappy so though I'd write our experiences.
The place is very dated, very 1970's and really needs a complete make over, especially when you think how much you pay a month. The pool and spa area is tired and the steam/sauna rooms are often out of order. The staff are not friendly and not really interested in helping you! and the girls are rather more interested in making sure their hair and make up are in place then smiling or giving you a warm hello!!
The beauty treatments are expensive and very much timed to the second, which does make you feel like they have been cut short, not very relaxing ( I have been to other places which are far better, and cheaper and friendlier).
The friends on Friday thing which means that you can bring a friend in for free,means that it is totally packed on Friday with un paying people!!! and my husband often walks in around 4.30 after work and walks straight out!!! This is very unfair again when you think how much you pay a month! My husband would like to be able to use the gym and pool that hes paying for and this offer should be limited to once a month or between set times 9-4 maybe.
I haven't tried the other clarice house places but sorry ipswich you really need to up your game in all areas. There are plenty more gyms out there offering much better.....

Brentwood, United Kingdom
“Really disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Having gone to Clarice House at Colchester, I expected the same standard of Spa and food. How disappointed I was. From the moment we drove up to the tired depressing exterior, I realised that my birthday treat was not going to be the kind of pamper day I expected. It was like going back to the 1970s with the decor and the prawn cocktail or soup starter. The lunch was almost a joke, even the waitress looked embarrassed when she brought out my partner's starter advertised as goujons but were actually 2 frozen chicken nuggets. The relaxing lounge was no more than a waiting room for those people who were getting a manicure with dated furniture and paint peeling off the walls.

My advice is to drive past and head for Colchester.

Visited December 2012
suffolk
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

It's been 2 weeks since I visited and left a feedback form about my disappointing visit and no one has contacted me so I have decided to leave this review. I had a superior bliss day with 4 of my friends. The jacuzzi was out of order all day, 2 toilets where blocked all day with no toilet roll in the Avaliable toilets, the aromatherapy room was dissapointing not sure what it was supposed to provide, the food was extremely poor quality and presentation was very amateur, food service was slow and we didn't get to eat our desserts as our next treatment was due we finally ate them at 4pm, the waitress had a poor attitude towards us. The dinning room seriously needs updating. The beds around the pool had no cushions and where very uncomfortable, the shower near the steam room was out of order. The beauty treatments where ok but very basic and seemed timed to the last second. My manicure lasted one day before it started to peel off. I'm not really one to complain but I work very hard for my money and didn't feel I had a relaxing day. 5 of us spent £90 each on this 9-5 day which was half price, I would have been gutted to pay full price. Overall the spa area needs updating and a good clean. Don't waste your money here I'm sure there are better places out there.

Ipswich
“Not quite there yet.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Four of us visited Ipswich Clarice house on a 2for1 spa deal. This included Day Spa, Facial, Back massage and a manicure with lunch included. Staff were helpful and friendly on arrival, serving us coffee while we filled out our medical forms and lunch order. We upgraded to Gel manicures but we could only go in two at a time as they only have two Gel nail lamps. Unfortunately we were also told it is first come first served, so we had an hour gap between the first two going in till the next two as the group of ladies before had upgraded. Our facial and massages were all done at the same time. The changing rooms are clean with large lockers, hairdryers and adequate mirrors. The toilets and showers are clean. Robe, towel and slippers are provided. We spent the morning using the spa facilities, with our treatments all being in the afternoon.

Ok this is where Clarice House Ipswich need to make a few changes if they are offering Spa days. There are plenty of sun loungers round the pool and steam room area but they are wooden with no cushions so do eventually get quite uncomfortable. There is only one drinking fountain near the steam rooms which does not taste good and has to be run awhile to get lukewarm tap water so its best to bring your own or buy at the bar. The steam and sauna rooms are good there is a lovely large pool and good jacuzzi, but the aroma room does not really work well and definitely needs looking at. There is also a two seat swing chair outside the steam rooms which needs to be re-covered.

Lunch we all agreed was lovely, well cooked and quick service.

All the treatment rooms are upstairs with comfortable leather sofas to wait in and free cold drinking water.The treatments (facial and back massage) were fantastic we were all really pleased. The Gel manicures are downstairs in the coffee room although we weren't told this when we arrived so the therapist was annoyed to find us sitting upstairs in the therapy waiting rooms, however she was pleasant and chatty during the treatment.

As our treatments didn't finish until 6.15PM we decided to have a final coffee in the spa before we left. As we were leaving to get changed a member of the gym staff was then coming to tell us that we should have been out at 5PM! Although we weren't using any of the facilities just sitting and chatting after our nail treatments. We weren't told when we were given our nail time (5.30pm!) that we then couldn't go back in.

Overall we agreed it had been a very relaxing day with great treatments and a lovely lunch.To offer the Spa day though we felt they just need to make a few improvements.

Visited October 2012
Essex
9 attraction reviews
“Not as flash as Colchester or Bury but not as manic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Couldnt believe how calm and not rushed Ipswich Clarice was.....have been to both the others and Colchester in particular is often a bit manic. We had choice of sunloungers, could move around freely and had space at lunch. Lunch was lovely, ploughmans and sorbet. Treatments, facial, back massage and manicure. Felt longer than "mini" treatments, not rushed or moved out of rooms quickly like other times in Colchester. Girls lovely and not painting on a smile as you are their 100th customer that day lol. I will choose to drive a bit further to Ipswich rather than Colchester next time. Well done Clarice House Ipswich!!

Visited October 2012