“Best food in Suffolk” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 345 Restaurants in Ipswich
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: This is a lovely Gastro Pub, the new owners took over in October 2009 and have fantastic plans. They only serve locally brewed Bitter and Lager plus a great wine list. Mike is a fantastic chef and the staff are always friendly, smiling and helpful. Lots of space for private parties or meetings. Daily fresh menu with local produce.
Suffolk
“Best food in Suffolk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We went here for a meal out and to be honest was expecting to get only normal pub food, nothing exciting or too tasty, BUT was amazingly surprised! The food was the best I have had from any pub in Suffolk. It was so good that later in the year when we were looking for a restaurant for my father’s birthday meal, I suggested the Brewery tap. There were 7 adults and everyone thought the food was exceptional.

Ok I have to admit the pub decor and location is not brilliant, but the ambiance was great and the beer is also good.

• Visited June 2012

ipswich
“Wonderful food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We wondered into Brewery Tap on off chance looking for a friday night meal - no booking. it was very busy but we managed to find a table for 2 and although the menu seemed limited and not 'cheap' there was a dish that catered for all. We had a fish dish and steak dish and both were perfect. Also they had an amazing range of beers as well as all the norm. Great night.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“The place has "character"............”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

Which really means, it could do with a bit of work!!

After hearing great reviews about this place we decided to pop down to this pub for a Saturday lunch!! It was a strange place to find, it feels like you are heading to the working docks and then at the last minute you see the pub sign! Pulling up I wasn't convinced it was even open as it looked like a derelict building! Hesitantly we went in and found a few others in there, with some decor that could really do with a good touch up!!

Service - the service was ok, nothing special!!

Food - I had a chicken, bacon and egg salad and my partner had a ploughmans, the food was ok, but just ok, nothing to write home about! There was a lot of sandwiches on the menu and at £7-£8 I thought they were a tad expensive!!

Too be honest I think this is a real beer and ale drinkers pub and if you want an average pub meal it would be absolutely fine!!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Matlock, United Kingdom
“Good for Zombies.....don't walk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

My parents took my partner and I to the Brewery Tap for a midweek meal. I'd never been there before.
It's a funny place, tucked at the end of a street best described as, dangerous (more later) and is kind of between done up, run down, and "alternative". Don't think I'm having a go at the decor though, I liked it. The service is friendly and efficient, the punters are from the "alternative" sector of society, which I enjoy as it means the chances of fights, morons, and football being on the television decrease. The menu is regularly changed, apparently, and it looked interesting and inviting. A pint of smoked prawns were, weirdly, nice. Smoked in house. I had a pork pizza, which was superb. The dough was yellow and actually contributed positively to the dish rather than being a soggy/crispy placemat for the toppings. Others in the group had pork belly with crackling - which they said was excellent.
The meal was good value, well made food, nicely cooked, nicely served, in good surroundings.
The only downside was my fathers ill advised attempt at humour by whispering "Another zombie, look" to my mother every time another alternatively dressed person walked in, before chuckling to himself.
On leaving, the walk down the aforementioned street was enlightening. A group of young men were sitting nefariously in a car that, if it wasn't stolen, meant heavily tattoo'd 18 year olds are paid well enough in Ipswich to buy a brand new BMW M3 and then smash their own passenger windows before parking down dimly lit streets. At least 2 parked cars look to have been broken into. It was grim, desolate, and could have possibly won an award for "Britain's least Police patrolled street" if the amount of broken car glass was anything to go by. OK, so I'm not one to scare easily, am fairly fit and can look after myself, but I heartily suggest to you not to not walk along there at night. BUT.....do go to the Brewery Tap, it's really great.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“A Hidden Gem !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Just spent a wonderful saturday evening on a beautiful Boat called," My Fair Lady" in the Marina at Cliff Quay. Not only was the weather Beautiful, and the ambience of the Quay side just like the South of France!.Such amazing atmosphere!.. The food that was supplied by The Brewery Tap was totally amazing, from the Wild Boar, Monk Fish, Venison, Crab cakes, Mushroom risotto balls, and so much more! All the food was of very high quality and very moorish. The food was actually the icing on the cake for a fantastic and special evening. The area is defininatley worth another visit, and the Brewery Tap is a must.
Linda.