“Weekend Away” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 64 Hotels in Llandudno
Yarm, United Kingdom
“Weekend Away”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We Stayed at the Marine Hotel 27th to 30th June 2014.
Had a sea view room on the first floor room 120 was a nice room and very clean.
Nice friendly reception staff.
Food ok although Saturday evening wasn't very good,perhaps a different chef.
Could do with more staff in the bar area at certain times,bit annoying when you have to go to reception to get somebody to serve you.
Great location in Llandudno and worth paying the extra for a sea view room.
Didn't do any entertainment but there wasn't any on Sunday night anyway.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Hi Sue P, Looks like you enjoyed your stay with us which is good. Thank you for your post, Marcus Williams, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I visited Llandudno June 16 through 20 on a Shearings Coach holiday, a treat from relatives in Wigan to mark my first trip to the UK (I am from Toronto, Canada) and as an early birthday celebration. I had a single room on the first floor with sea view. The room itself was immaculate and the view spectacular! The food was fine as well: lots of choice at breakfast and nice selections for dinner, all nicely prepared and served by friendly staff who happily accomodated all requests. The packed lunches were surprisingly generous and very delicious - excellent value for the small amount charged. But the staff is really the best part of this hotel. To a person, everyone with whom we dealt was welcoming, courteous, warm, friendly and helpful. The location was ideal, quite centrally located within easy walking distance to shopping and the pier. As a bonus, the weather itself was perfect the entire time, warm and sunny. If there is any criticism at all, it would be the difficulty in getting a seat on the enclosed veranda, which seemed to be monopolized by the same people every day; however, part of the issue could be that the chairs are unusually large and the tables quite small. Perhaps smaller chairs would solve the problem, but it is really not that big a deal. All in all, a wonderfully enjoyable stay and I will definitely return!

Room Tip: The sea view is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hi Carolyn B, I am so pleased that your first holiday in the UK was such a good experience for you and thank you for praising all the staff in the hotel. The chairs in the bar are comfortable and there are lovely views to be taken in across the bay. Thank you for your post, Marcus Williams, General Manager.
Hebburn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

Our 4 day stay by coach with National Holidays was very enjoyable, this hotel is quite old but spotlessly clean and in reasonably good decorative order. Our room was on the 3rd floor with a reasonably good sea view. The meals were very good (they always are in a Shearing's Hotel) and the serving staff excellent. The Hotel has a small swimming pool which was lovely and warm and better still as I was the only person using it. The hotel is right on the sea front and has a conservatory where you can sit and watch the lovely sea view and people strolling along the promenade.
My 'BUT' refers firstly to the entertainment as it was supposed to be a 'Cabaret' week-end. On the Friday evening a male and female duo did their best to 'murder' their songs and we walked out after half an hour, Saturday was Bingo, a quiz and a key draw, not my idea of cabaret and Sunday you were left to make your own enjoyment. My biggest complaint and that of other guests was the price of drinks for which you needed a second mortgage. The prices were not even consistent, for example on the Saturday a female bar tender sold me a double vodka and orange juice with a Tomato Juice and charged me 85p more than I paid for exactly the same drinks on Sunday night. When. Complained to reception I got no satisfaction.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Malcolm H, Firstly I can only apologise for the issue with the entertainment. This time of year it is normal for us to have entertainment on a Friday and Saturday night only, so I will have to investigate why you were led to believe it was a cabaret weekend. I will also investigate why you were charged two different prices for the same drinks. Thank you for praising the cleanliness and service you were given on your stay. I would like to think we might see you again. You can always contact the hotel direct before you travel to confirm what will be on offer or even to book a holiday with us direct. Thank you for your post. Marcus Williams, General Manager
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We were at the hotel as self drive Shearing holidays. Parking at the hotel is £5 per day,parking on the roadside is £3 per day and there is plenty of it.
This hotel is on the sea front with easy access to the promenade and the shops of Llandudno. The room we had faced the rear and had been refurbished. It was adequate for our needs clean and comfortable. The building is a typical English seaside creaking three star hotel which is in need of some refurbishment in places, but you have to remember what you have paid for your stay. If you compare your half board stay against the prices displayed outside the B and Bs you will see you are getting a good deal.
The food in the hotel was reasonable, served by efficient and pleasant staff. For three nights out of the four we had entertainment in the evenings which was good.
Whilst we were in Llandudno we visited a ice cream parlour called The Looking Glass at the pier end of Mostyn St which is the main shopping street. It is fabulous and well worth a visit. It allows you to enjoy excellent ice creams etc away from swooping seagulls. The young couple running it are to be commended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Malc333, Thank you for your post and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Parking in one of the two hotel car parks is a matter of preference. Yes it is cheaper on the road side and you can usually get a space but the car parks offer peace of mind. Depending on the time of year the road side parking does get busy. Hope to see you again should you want another ice-cream. Marcus Williams, General Manager
Liverpool
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We (me, my boyfriend and my Mum) have just returned from 2 nights at the Bay Marine Hotel in Llandudno. I think it will take longer than that to recover, mainly due to the fact that we’ve had zero sleep the entire time we were there. If you’re thinking of booking to stay in this hotel, you must, absolutely must ensure that you are NOT on the 4th floor, or as we’ve renamed it ‘Pigeon Poo Towers’. The 4th floor is right at the very top of the building (ie, the roof), and I would estimate that there’s about 3 inches between the ceiling and roof where it would appear every pigeon in the North Wales area has decided to roost. The noise is unbelievable. The cooing is one thing, but the scuttling about constantly is so loud that you feel as though they’re about to fall through into the bedroom. There must be hundreds of them up there. They eventually went quiet on both Friday and Saturday evening at around 11:30pm, only to wake up bright and early at around 4am. It sounds like there’s a plague of rats scuttling around. It’s just as bad in the bathroom where I was convinced whilst in the shower that they were sat on top of the shower cubicle.

We complained about the noise of the pigeons to Reception, only to be greeted by laughter, and the comment “yes, there’s lots of them, aren’t there?”. We asked if anything was being done about it, and he responded with “Yes, we’ve been trying for ages”. Well in my opinion, they’ve not been trying hard enough. Do they think that their visitors are going to have an enjoyable holiday with that noise going on almost 24 hours a day? If you open the window in the bedroom, the smell coming from the roof is disgusting. And the flies!!! OMG, there are swarms of them and they’re no doubt coming directly from the pigeon poo. Common pigeons are at the end of the day, flying vermin, and pigeon poo in large quantities is very harmful. Obviously the Management at the Marine Hotel don’t think that’s important. We cannot be the only people who have complained. Surely?

But that wasn’t the only issue. We reported a roof slate that was hanging by a thread over the guttering, outside my Mum's window, that due to the winds and rain we’ve had, could easily have blown off and caused some serious damage to a passer by in the street. We complained on the Friday, and yet nothing was done. When we told the girl on Reception, she too gave a response that shocked us: “yeah, there’s loads of them missing, it happens all the time”. Well maybe then it’s about time you got a roofer up there to sort it out, rather than just laughing it off and seemingly being unconcerned by your lack of roof tiles. You won’t be laughing when one of your wonky slates falls and kills some innocent pedestrian.

Then, on Saturday morning my Mum woke to discover she’d become a victim of the missing roof tiles, as her ceiling had a leak and there was a large swollen area full of water, that was dripping all over the carpet. It stank and looked a mess. She complained to the Reception and they said they’d send someone straight up, but it took at least 4 hours for someone to arrive. The guy was really nice who came to see the leak, but all he did was prod it with a screwdriver to drain it, and then left it. Mum was offered to move to another room, but as it was her last night, she decided that she’d stay and because of this she thought they would come and at least patch up the ceiling, but they didn’t, and instead just left it exposed. The guy who attended to the ceiling did however sort out the wobbly tile on the guttering, although he didn’t know about it previously. Mum showed him and he said he’d move it, which he did.

Aside from the above, we didn’t let it ruin our short break to Llandudno. The hotel however does leave a lot to be desired. There are numerous websites it is advertised on, and most make reference to the make-over the rooms have had and show photos of really nice rooms. We also spoke to some other guests (who weren’t on the 4th floor) and they spoke of quiet, cosy rooms that were lovely. Ours was none of these things. Aside from the leak in Mum’s ceiling, our room looked like it had also suffered a similar fate in the past and had just been patched up (badly). The windows are also long overdue an overhaul - our window frames were rotten. I can only assume that they are doing their renovations from the ground up. The hot tap in the bathroom wouldn't stop dripping, the toilet needed at least 3 attempts to flush, and hot water seemed to come out of the shower dependent up which angle the shower head was positioned. The bed was very springy. I know this, as most of them were embedded in my back for most of the night. There were however good tea making facilities, lots of towels and lots of pillows. The cushions on the bed, however, smelt funny as though they'd not been washed, maybe ever!!

Then this morning, during breakfast there was a fire alarm. As a Fire Officer in my previous job, I know the procedures that have to be followed in such an instance, however I saw no evidence of this today. People continued to eat their breakfast as waiting staff just stood there looking confused. We asked a waiter, and another couple asked another waiter “do we have to leave” and we were given the response “I don’t know yet, it might be a false alarm again”. Well false alarm or not, if the alarm goes off, you have to assume it’s real and get people out as soon as possible. Eventually another waiter was wandering around saying “you need to go” in the quietest voice ever. I’m not saying anyone needed to be running round in a panic screaming “Oh my god there’s a fire”, but considering the vast amount of visitors to the hotel are OAPs or disabled, there could have been far more confident manoeuvres from the staff. Nobody told anyone where to go, and so people were just making their own way to the door. Nobody from the hotel came out to speak to guests, and instead after about 10 minutes, another resident came to the door and shouted “it’s ok, you can come back in”. I didn’t see a single person wearing a fire marshal jacket or any form of fire marshal identification. It was a complete shambles. Guests then went back inside to continue eating their now-cold breakfasts. We didn’t return to ours, but instead got our bags and checked out. It was the last straw in this ridiculous experience. I would hope that everyone in the breakfast area was given new, fresh and hot breakfasts, but on the evidence of how they reacted this morning, it’s probably unlikely.

It’s a shame, because this hotel holds a prominent position on the Promenade and I’m sure it could be a real treat to stay at if they just sorted out their access, decor, pigeon and missing slates problems. The 2 night break cost over £300 (for 3 of us) but I’m afraid it wasn’t worth a third oft hat. The only saving grace for the hotel was that the food (breakfast) was nice (when we weren’t leaving it mid-way), and the bar area was also nice. But not £300 worth of nice.

We would never stay there again, but I think that until they’ve sorted out their extreme pigeon problem, the hotel should definitely stop offering rooms on the 4th Floor, unless of course they don’t care that their customers are not getting a decent sleep, or that their health could be affected by the poo issue.

When I checked out this morning I asked if I could have a complaints form. I was told a form had been shoved under my door yesterday. Well yes, there was a Shearings Customer form, but the space for complaints/concerns had about enough room to write one sentence. We were told if that wasn’t enough space then we should contact Shearing’s directly. I said we would do that, but asked were the hotel management themselves not concerned by the level of complaints (and I did hear many) this weekend. The girl on Reception said she would pass on my message to the Manager, and that she was sorry we’d had a bad time. Perhaps if they took more of a genuine and involved interest, there wouldn’t be so many complaints. I know it’s a chain hotel, but Management are there to do just that: MANAGE….. and that means being the front face of the hotel and dealing with problems in a professional way, head on, so that people don’t have to escalate issues up to Head Office. What’s the point of having staff if they’re not going to do anything about anything?

We went on this holiday as my Dad has recently died, and my Mum was contemplating going on a coach holiday on her own. Rather than send her off so soon on her own, my boyfriend and I decided we'd go with her, to one of the hotels the coach companies use/recommend, so that we could see what kind of hotel she'd be staying in should she go on a future coach trip alone. Well on the evidence of this, I won't be allowing her to go. If this is an example of all the hotels used by coach companies, I'd rather we found her a nice hotel somewhere, and we drove her there ourselves. Shameful, and really sad.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not get a room on the 4th Floor - unless of course you like pigeons and flies.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hi LADYTAYLOR72, As the Hotels General Manager, I am greatly concerned by the issues you have raised in your post and I would very much like the opportunity to discuss these issues with you. Consequently I am inviting you to contact me at the hotel. Thank you for your time, Marcus Williams, General Manager
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We went to the Bay Marine Hotel LLandudno for my 70th birthday.
We payed £21 pp for a sea view. The hotel is situated right on the front so the view was excellent. The pier to the left the Grand hotel and the Orme next to it . Directly in front was the promenade with the world and his wife/lover/family/friend/dog walking or cycling every minute of the day. To the right was The Little Orme.
The food was adaquate, a decent selection but there was no Gala dinner which was a bit of a let down.
The bar prices were very high.
My biggest let down was that there was entertainment on on Sat or Sun.
As i had gone to celebrate my birthday i was feeling very much let down by shearings.
We have always found Shearings entertainment to be good or even better.
To have had none was a waste of my 70th birthday.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi josephsefton, Thank you for scoring us so highly on service and cleanliness and I am glad you liked your room. We currently have entertainment on both Friday and Saturday but it is true that for now, there is no entertainment on the Sunday. I hope the entertainment did not ruin your holiday especially as it was your birthday and that you enjoyed the other aspects of your stay with us. Generally we offer a full entertainment package earlier and later in the season. Thank you for your post, Marcus Williams, General Manager
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Our spotlessly+ clean comfortable double room was on the third floor facing the sea and it was close to the lift so access was easy. The weather was very hot so we were glad that the window opened at the top to let the air in as some of the other hotel guests based on the 2nd floor told us that they had difficulty in opening their windows..
The meals were varied and the portions were good.While the large dining area was very busy the pleasant staff were very quick and served the guests efficiently. The decor of the hotel was circa 1930s and had thick carpets and Art Deco wall pictures everywhere.
The pool was really warm and clean and we were lucky to have it to ourselves for a while to relax.
There was evening entertainment available but we went out in the evenings so we did not stay in to make use of it but most people who stayed in told us that they enjoyed it.
We went on lots of excursions to castles and the countryside. There is so much to see and do in this lovely part of Wales that we are hoping to return again soon to the hotel where we made lots of new friends.

Room Tip: For older people a room near a lift is easier.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MWilliams59, General Manager at Bay Marine Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Hi Pamela G, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and also that you are looking to return. It is true this area does have a lot to offer. Thank you for your post, Marcus Williams, General Manager

Been to Bay Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!