“not so grand at all” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 65 Hotels in Llandudno
1974corlett
“not so grand at all”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

we arrived the 23rd march 1pm waiting 3 hours to get room got to room 4pm we lefted the hotel 5pm absolute disgrace dried food lefted on side plates and folded napkins look at pics for your decision

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
B_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, April 13, 2009
Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you did not end up staying with us. We offer a variety of room classes ranging from internal views to sea views which are priced accordingly and as the hotel was full on the evening you booked, they were not able to allocate you another room. We can confirm that the company you booked with have refunded you completely and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. Feedback is important to us as we use it to further improve our services and standards and we thank you for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

I am a 79 year old woman and feel so strongly about my terrible experience at this hotel I have come to my daughters to use her computer as I do not own one. My daughter tried to provide a review on my behalf but it was refused on the basis of third party information.
I went to this hotel with a friend to relax after being in hospital. On the second day I came down with severe sickness and the "other" with cramps, I was in a bit of a mess as my friend had gone out. As there was no phone in the room I had to phone my daughter on my mobile and she then contacted the hotel. My daughter was told that there was the NORWALK VIRUS in the hotel which was brought in by an older guest. I had to clean the bathroom and myself with cold water, staff would not come into the room to clean, in fact I saw little by way of cleaning, my room was not cleaned at all.
I was very distressed and confused as I had started to be sick prior to the alleged virus carrying guest arrived, all I know is that I have never in all my years of travelling, been given anti-bacterial gel to use nor been so sick.
I am offended by the brittania hotels as they refused to provide a refund and said that any further communication from my daughter and myself would be ignored. I was very ill and this continued for some weeks, unfortunately brittania have never accepted any responsibility for this and placed the blame firmly on another elderly guest. At the time of my stay there were some twenty odd other guests with the virus all elderly and some with disabilities. Brittania should be ashamed of themselves treating elderly people in this way, as i have no other form of redress I just want people to be aware of the terrible conditions at this hotel but more importantly the lack of interest and care for elderly guests.
I would never step foot in the grand hotel again.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

We stayed here during the cold spell in February. The hotel was so warm , our room overlooked the sea and we had a nice balcony. We were half board the food was delicious with lots of choice. I would be reluctant to have self catering in Llandudno again after experiencing the Grand Hotel SUCH VALUE FOR MONEY. Snacks and drinks were very reasonable too.
Entertainment every night in the hotel was amusing

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
B_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, March 16, 2009
Thank you very much for your review. It is always pleasing to receive positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

The hotel is extremely clean, the food excellent, and the entertainment second to none. We booked a standard twin bedded room which was quite adequate and warm, as is the hotel throughout. Free independent newspapers were a bonus. A busy hotel, and you can see why, when the value for money was great. We travelled with National holidays (Hi, Clive!) and the party travelling with us were amazing! We were there five days. It worked out on a par with the usual B&B, but dinner bed and breakfast at this hotel were absolutely wonderful, with hot plates and plenty of choice. We would recommend this hotel for its location and are sure anyone staying at the Grand will have a lovely time...
Shirley and mum X

• Liked — The food!
  • Disliked — Internet access was down, but used nearby library computer
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
B_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, February 9, 2009
redditch
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

just got back from a nice weekend iwent with my 12 year old son
and 2 year old daughter im a single dad , it was a great time clean
room friendley staff ,good food value for money,as its about the same price as a small b&b you get a lot for your money, booked again to go in february

• Liked — good staff good food
  • Disliked — no car park
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
B_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, January 26, 2009
United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

Booked this hotel on their website on the spur of the moment for a weekend break.
When we got to Llandudno on Saturday, the place was extremely busy, but we eventually found a space to park the car and we took the Victorian Tram up to the Great Orme and walked it back down in the afternoon.
The Grand Hotel has no car park and coming down from the Great Orme we had to walk past the hotel and decided to check in and collect our car, which was parked about 2 miles away, afterwards.
There was nobody at the reception desk but a young lady appeared after we had rung the bell to ask us what we wanted. When we told her that we wanted to check into our room she looked bewildered and announced that they were fully booked and had no rooms left.
Another young lady arrived and confirmed that the hotel was full despite the fact that we had a written confirmation of our booking.
I got a bit ratty and demanded to see the manager who confirmed that the hotel was full and who explained that they had problems with their computer and that they had no record of our booking.
After some argumentation he decided that there was an internal room available which, so he said, had no view.
How right he was. The ‘room’ was the size of a prison cell with a double bed, some old furniture and a view of a wall. I challenged him to find me another room in Llandudno but after a number of phone calls he informed that no accommodation was available at any other hotel that night.
He did offer to refund me with the charge for the room which, apparently, they had already collected from me when I booked the room.
Reluctantly I decided to stop the night and vowed never to set foot in any other Britannia hotel again.
The full story of my disastrous stay at the Grand Hotel in Llandudno can be found on the following website which also shows that despite their promise to get back to me they never contacted me again.( http://www.complaint-shop.co.uk/grandhotelllandudno.htm)
My advice to anybody who intends to go to Llandudno is yes please do. It’s a lovely clean seaside town which still has the original Victorian Pier and a visit to the Great Orme is delightful but please please please don’t spoil your day and book a room at the Grand Hotel.
Grand it may have been once, it now feels like a run down old peoples home which is full with OAP's who descend on it in coach loads for a cheap weekend.
Stay away and you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — I hated it
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
B2_Public_Relations, Public Relations Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, January 22, 2009
Thank you for the further information you have provided us with following your Trip Advisor review.
We have now had the opportunity to investigate your points fully and would like to offer the following response:

We are sorry that on arrival at the hotel you were advised there were no rooms available. During very busy periods we do occasionally find ourselves in an overbooking situation, as do all hotel groups. We note from your comments that the Reception Manager did try and source alternative hotels for you, offered to refund your reservation or offered you Room 128 which is a standard double (you had booked a standard twin on the website), and do appreciate the stress and inconvenience this may have caused, but believe that in the circumstances we did everything possible to try and find a solution.

We can confirm that the monies were not taken off your credit card at time of booking, the card details merely acted as a guarantee of your reservation. Our accounts indicate that the monies were charged upon check out the following day.

When the hotel is fully booked, the restaurant is often busy and due to the majority of guests arriving to eat within the same timeframe, on occasions there may be a small wait whilst a table is prepared for you. We are sorry you found the food not satisfactory but we do appreciate that personal food preference is a subjective matter. We are happy that you were offered a complimentary bottle of wine in recognition of the inconvenience you had experienced.

It is Britannia Hotels policy to acknowledge all written complaints on receipt and forward the details for the General Manager to respond. Once again, please accept our apologies that no response was received and we will contact the hotel to follow this up.

In closing, we do believe that in the circumstances we did everything possible to fulfil your reservation or offer you alternatives.

ayrshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

We did not have a nice experience of this hotel at all. The meals when available were not too bad but we were with a coach party, there were 4 coach parties in all and the hotel didn't seem to be able to cope with as many people at mealtimes. There were 4 different sittings one for each coach party. By the time the 4th party went in to breakfast or dinner there was not enough food for the whole party. Being part of a large company and the hotel having 162 rooms you would have expected them to be more organised. I don't think they employ enough staff, the staff they do employ in the dining rooms and bar worked well and were very pleasant. Paper peeling from ceiling in parts. otherwise hotel clean and tidy. On entering the hotel for the first time it is really nice and appealling until you go up to the 5th floor.

• Liked — the location to the town and amenities.
  • Disliked — mealtimes and location of room
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Grand Hotel - Llandudno? Share your experiences!