“New Year break 2011/2012” 4 of 5 stars

The Grand Hotel - Llandudno
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Happy Valley Road, Llandudno LL30 2LR, Wales   |
Ranked #59 of 64 Hotels in Llandudno
Manchester, United Kingdom
“New Year break 2011/2012”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

I was very concerned after reading the reviews but decided to book because if the manager-Anna Hamblett(hope I remembered her name correctly!) cared enough to comment on the reviews then the hotel had staff that cared. She does appear to have stopped replying recently though.
We arrived with 2 prebooked and paid for dogs to be told the hotel no longer would be taking dogs but were honouring bookings and we had to leave a £50 deposit in case they or we broke a huge list of rules we had to sign. Not a problem we are used to staying in hotels and never leave a mess or dog smells!
We paid extra for a premier sea view room and wow we were not disappointed fab view and very clean and spacious. The balcony was great for keeping the wine and champagne cold too.
I really don't understand the complaints about the food. Every meal we had was good and like carveries everywhere-you queue for the food! It was hot and there were different choices every day. The staff were efficient and pleasant. We did eat in the premier dining room but the food was the same. The breakfasts were good too.
We watched the in house entertainment and the comedian on New Years eve and were enjoyable to watch.
We had extras in the room that we were not expecting such as fudge, Shortbread wine, dollymixers and a basket of fruit. This made it extra special.
A holiday break is what you make it we had no complaints at all. I would like to thank all the staff for making our New Year so special, after a particularly stressful year. The view of the fireworks across the bay from the balcony will always be remembered.
A special plea to the management please accept dogs and charge highly the irresponsible owners not ones that do everything in their power not to be a nuisance .

• Stayed December 2011
AnnaElliebb, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, January 15, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments about our hotel. We had a fab Christmas and New Year which in some ways is down to the guests as they definitely make a difference to the overall atmosphere. And as you rightly comment; a holiday break is what you make it.
I could not get onto the Trip Advisor Management page for 3 weeks, hence the reason I have not replied but I am catching up now.
Regarding accepting dogs; I have a Wheaten Terrier called Poppy who the family absolutely adore.When we go away to a cottage with her we are extremely careful not to let her go on the furniture or leave her in the cottage unattended.
Unfortunately this has not been the case at the hotel. Guest have put duvets on the floor for the dog to sleep on, let them make a mess on the balcony (and left it to the chambermaid to clean up!) or left the dog unattended to bark and upset other guests (quite scary for a chambermaid to go into a bedroom and find a dog left on its own) and even argue that thier dogs should be allowed in food and beverage areas which the majority of people know this is not possible.
However, I must stress that not all dog loving guests have done this and in the main most guests are responsible for their pooches but because they are so unassuming we tend to not notice how good they are.
We do have to consider our other guests but maybe we will review the situation at some point as reading reviews like yours does make me think we could maybe manage the situation in a different manner that will keep all concerned happy.
Glad to hear you and your dogs had a fab New Year though; hope they didn't help you eat the fudge. shortbread and dolly mixtures as I know my Poppy would have had a go if given the chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Excellent location (I have fallen in love with Llandudno :o))
Vibrant town 5 min away, pier and garden to have a stroll, hills for more serious walking
Bedroom with stunning views of the bay and mountains (well worth paying the extra £5 pp per night)
Excellent staff: always pleasant and answering patiently my "beginners" questions
Excellent food (well, too many temptations really, had to ration myself!)
Mostly good entertainment (sometimes a bit too loud)
Friendly atmosphere and pleasant guests. I wonder whether the hotel/entertainment staff could do a little more to help shy single guests to get to know other people.

Overall, a revelation that Christmas can be stressfree and enjoyable!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view, ask for a room with a bath.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
AnnaElliebb, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
I am so glad you enjoyed your first Christmas away from home with us here in Llandudno. It is a lovely review from a lovely lady and I am only glad to hear you encountered friendly guests and staff throughout your stay.
We don't mind answering 'beginners' questions as hopefully it will lead to you being a 'regular' to the Grand.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

my friend and i went into premium room for 5 days over christmas. certainly wont be going back there again. i am profoundly deaf. there was no simple basic needs met there, television had no subtitles. this had been promised when the booking was made. my life was at risk as there was no flashing light for fire alarms. staff upon arrival was surly. we had to wait for 3 hours before being able to go into our room. lift broke down there was queues of wheelchairs trying to get back to their rooms. imagine if there was a fire. the left still not been repaired when we left. only the chef was pleasant. the male vocalist on our last night was good to listen to, i believe. our room was too warm. we left with thumping headaches and stuffed noses. windows filthy. sorry grand you were old and faded. time to be updated or retire before u kill someone.

Room Tip: go premium for the beautiful views. its worth it. seeing the sun rise.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Whomever made the reservation failed to mention the lady was profoundly deaf so I admit we were not fully prepared. My staff are not normally surly but if this was the case on this occasion I apologise profusely.I have since ordered 3 Teletext t.v's so we will hopefully not have this problem again.
The booking comments did state the lady was disabled; she was therefore allocated a room near the lift. Reception have a list of guests who require assistance in the unlikely event of the fire alarm sounding and this lady was on the list. Plus she was sharing a room with a friend who would have been able to hear the alarms (the alarms are very loud and there is one in every bedroom).
The 2nd lift did fail on Christmas Eve but we are at the mercy of contractors who said it needed a part. As anyone knows, the lifts cannot be used in the event of the fire alarm sounding and to be honest I think we managed very well with one lift over a very busy period.
A simple request at Reception to turn off the radiators would have been sufficient to reduce the temperature in the bedroom because it was, unlike last year, remarkably warm over the Festive period.
I can assure anyone reading this review it is not our intention to kill anyone and to be honest I am offended at the accusation as we take the health and safety of our guests very seriously.
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

We normally stay at the Imperial or George between Xmas and New Year but they are now asking daft prices, so chose the Grand as they did a really good deal and teenage daughter and friend wanted to come with us so it meant we needed 2 rooms which was just too pricey at the other 2 hotels. I asked for rooms with a sea view and we were not disappointed. As we booked last minute my husband and I were given a family room which was brilliant and had a little sitting room overlooking the bay. The girls had a smaller room but again a brilliant sea view. Dinner was fine for the money paid and each room got a bottle of wine which was drinkable. There was entertainment if you wanted it, we all thoroughly enjoyed bingo but as we are inexperienced at this we didn't take pens, but not too worry, after a lot of rustling in handbags everyone around took pity and we were soon sorted! A real holiday atmosphere with all guests chatting with each other. The hotel is a little jaded and not as posh as I am used to if I am honest, but I would stay again any time. A real gem of a hotel that is affordable for families. Well done the Grand.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We are not posh like the Imperial or the George but like the reviewer has stated we offer great value for money. If anyone is looking for a clean and comfortable hotel at a reasonable price for this time of the year we are the one to go for.
It quite amused me to think of you joining in with the bingo; I am only sorry you didn't get to shout House !! Hopefully we will see you again !
Paignton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We had a great sea view from our room which we paid extra for but worth it but the rest of our stay was weird. We were on Dinner, Bed and Breakfast plus cabaret. We went down to dinner and were greeted by a member of staff who insisted that we had to have anti bacterial spray on our hands before we could enter the dining room (the same thing happened at breakfast - what is this all about?) The buffet food on offer was of the 1950s school dinner variety and the cabaret consisted of two singers and two dancers singing naff Christmassy songs. Not a good experience.......

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the Entertainment
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
AnnaElliebb, General Manager at The Grand Hotel - Llandudno, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
I am least pleased to read that you had a great sea view.

What I find weird is that the booking was made for Cabaret Dinner and Breakfast and they find it weird that they had Cabaret !! Yes the entertainment was festive but they did stay over the festive period and Christmas songs are naff. I have never heard a Christmas song yet that isn't a bit naff but that's Christmas for you.

The anti bacterial gel is used as a sanitizer before entering the restaurant to prevent guests who have contracted any bugs or viruses from passing them to other guests.

I feel we are acting responsibly by looking after the interests of our guests.
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

nice hotel,excellent local on the edge of the great orme.sea views from some rooms,nice clean hotel,plenty staff on hand,nice rooms,nice ballroom,some good entertainment,a good nights sleep.had good weather for the time of year dec 2011.great offers for the new year.two bars.special offer on at the moment for weddings packages.couldnt find anything wrong with this hotel.excellent all rounde rwill stay again and would recommend to anyone..good evening meals.,breakfast good choice.eggs and sausage a bit hard but what do you expect catering for about 150 or more guests.and we did go down about 9am.lifts to all floors.tis is an old building with original features,my advise is to get the chair on the balcony and relax,take in the views they dont get any better

Room Tip: ask for SEA VIEW its worth the little extra.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
What a fabulous review; You have certainly summed up the hotel in a few short sentances and we usually cater for 300+ guests at breakfast so I don't think we do too bad. I will pass your comments on to the chef about the sausages.
I think I may even take your advice and get a chair and sit on the balcony as there is not much of a view from my office !!
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

After reading some of the reviews about the Grand Hotel I was pleasantly surprised when I spent last weekend there. We had a lovely room with a sea view, which I hadn't paid extra for and everything in the room that we could wish for.
The food was adequate and good for the money that we paid and the entertainment as good as any other hotel that I have been to.
The staff were also very friendly and we didn't find the drinks extortionately priced like some hotels.
I must add that it's in an excellent position also.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
It is always lovely to read that we have exceeded guest expectations so if anyone is reading this review I would say 'Give us a try'
We offer great value for money which includes an Entertainment Package and if you upgrade to sea view you will wake up to a stunning vista across Llandudno Bay.

Been to The Grand Hotel - Llandudno? Share your experiences!