“Victoria Extravaganza Burgers” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Prestatyn, United Kingdom
“Victoria Extravaganza Burgers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I have known of the Hambone since it originally started as Ainsworth’s The Butchers in Craig Y Don Llandudno, they still have a shop there now, a good number of years ago. We left Llandudno about 9 years ago having lived and worked there in the catering industry for 35 years. We have not moved far away and visit quite often but have never returned to see the Victorian Extravaganza Weekend which has taken place in Llandudno every May bank holiday for around 30 or possibly more years until yesterday (4th May 2014). Having wandered around I thought I would get a burger and having heard good reports about the hambone decided that would be as good a place as any, So I queued up at their outside ‘stall’ where they were selling all sorts from hot ham rolls to burgers, hot dogs and Italian meatball rolls. There was a queue, usually a good sign and the shop was busy so I waited in line. A young lad took my money (£3) and order; I received my burger, what a disappointment. I should have known it would be poor as I saw Mike separating the frozen burgers from the paper dividing them. The burger was a thin mass produced burger and to top it all it was in a Hot Dog bun so I ended up with a plain bread roll at each end of the burger. Whilst I appreciated that the food served within the shop my be good (although I have not as yet tried it) I think Ainsworth’s took the number of people attending the Extravaganza weekend as an opportunity to make a quick profit without paying any attention to the quality of the food being served. I looked around other burger stall at the Extravaganza and discovered that I could find equally rubbish ones elsewhere in a proper bun at 50 to 60p less. I eventually found a good burger at the stall set up by the Alexander Hotel (see other review).

Come on Mr Ainsworth this is not how to treat your customers, you need to extend what I believe to be your good ‘in store’ food to the outside customers as well.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Preston, United Kingdom
“Lovely traditional fish & chips !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

My wife and I went to this restaurant after a poor experience and walking out of another restaurant down the road, Trebills. We were greeted straight away, told it would be a short wait whilst they cleared a table. They were straight back and we had a nice table in the corner. We had line caught haddock and real chunky chips with mushy peas, absolutely excellent. A little pricely at £9.95 but well worth it for the quality. Don't have a butty with it as a slice of bread was 95p ! Recommended for service and food quality.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Words do describe the food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We had a great lunch here. Portions were yowge, and the service was exemplary. None of the waiters ever stood still. The pizza was enough for two, and the sandwich on sliced bread would have put a doorstep to shame. We loved the descriptions of the food on the board - very accurate

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Second visit there - this time was nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Food was coming out very slow, I only got my salad and had to wait another 5 minutes for chips to go with it, which actually were too salty.... Staff member who was serving our food, didn't even know what he was bringing to the table. Poor quality.

Visited April 2014
Llandudno, United Kingdom
“Excellent menu choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

This was our second visit here. The menu choice is interesting and varied and cooked to an excellent standard. There could be a better system taking people to tables especially when busy as there was two empty tables and a queue of people waiting at the door to have a table. People had to point out there was empty tables available to the waiter. Having said this we were very happy with the service while we were there and the food was delicious and reasonably priced. Worth a visit.