“Shadow of former self” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Shadow of former self”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I recently booked the same room that we had for our honeymoon in 1989. I did not expect that to have been the last time it was decorated. I did not expect to have to wash the cups before I could use them. I did not expect to leave the hotel and book in to another. Mr & Mrs Maddox (the former owners) would be horrified.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

it was a loveily hotel the food was gorgis the lamb shaelder was very nice the rooms were very very nice the beds was like staying on a cloud of candy flosh there was only one probom the room key did not work we hate to go to repception 7 time to get the door to open the door.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
bolton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just spent a lovely weekend at the empire celebrating my parents golden wedding anniversary. We booked 4 rooms .( 3 standard rooms) rooms 3 and 4 over looked the Main Street, with room no 2 looking down to sea and the Main Street.( 1 standard plus room for 3) room no 9 over looked side street.
All rooms very nice with swags and tails , thick bathroom towels and dressing gowns plus all the usual extras.
Our break consisted of 2 nights dinner, bed breakfast and Sunday lunch. All meals are served in the Watkins resteraunt .
(Evening meal was 4 courses plus coffee, Sunday lunch was 3 courses ) there an harpest playing at Sunday lunch which was a nice idea.
The food is quite good but the portions are far too much .( lots of waste) plenty of choices.
The weather was fantastic so we even managed to use the outdoor pool and the sun loungers. The indoor pool is very nice as well ( use your dressing gown to go to pool so you don't need to take every thing with you) i have stayed once before and have eaten here a few times and have just booked to stay again in january. There are lots of very nice guest houses in llandudno which I love but with this having a pool and evening meal it works out better value.

Room Tip: Rooms 2.3.4 are standard rooms which are at front of hotel on the first floor. All very nice. Room 9...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Cleveland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The Empire Hotel is set on Church Walks and overlooks the town of Llandudno . The Hotel is Victorian and is a real asset to the town. The hotel was very clean and decorated in the Victorian style yet has a modern feel. The hotel has a great pool and plenty of bars. The bar person Alvin was a real gentleman and really made our stay a very pleasant one. The rooms where clean, with very comfortable beds and pillows. We had a very nice meal on the evening we arrived and the service and food was delightful. Breakfasts however were a real let down, The food was not hot in fact not even warm. Yet the silver teapot and water jug were so hot that they could not be held to pour !!!. Also the seating arrangement s were an embarrassment . I watched 6 couples sent to another room to wait for a table, yet their where dozens of tables set for multiples . More organisation was needed in the dining room , a shame as the hotel was really nice, but seeing this was a let down to my holiday. Hopefully these few things could be rectified and the hotel would then be worth a return visit

Room Tip: higher floors have less noise
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I really don't know why I have not reviewed the lovely hotel before,maybe selfishly I wanted to keep it to myself, well I am going to let the cat out of the bag now. My husband and I have been going to this hotel for something like 18 years and it has never disappointed, an ideal place for a relaxing break without the hassle of Airports, for an anniversary, birthday or just a treat.
The Empire is a gem of a place,a Victorian hotel beautifully appointed with some modern touches.
A family owned and run hotel giving it that personal feeling without compromise to service(a lot of the staff have been at the hotel for many years)
We stayed dinner, bed and breakfast and the food always good has if anything improved recently, moving with the times but staying a little bit traditional.
I suppose it is the little the things which make this hotel special, Poppas homemade jams at breakfast, a welcome glass of sherry, the harpist playing during Sunday lunch, etc. etc.
but it is the glamour of the place that makes it special for me.
Oh and it has the poshest ladies loo I think I have ever been in.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
holmfirth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Once again a party of seven of us have been to the Empire.As usual the service and treatment was of the highest quality and we are planning next years visit already.What more can be said of this excellent hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
harrasedmum54
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We booked a short 3 night break as a group of friends. we arrived at the hotel and were greeted warmly and shown to our room without delay. The concierge took our bags and keenly explained all the facilities of the hotel and the room ( No. 17) which included a welcome drink, robes,tea and coffee and home made shortbread. I adored the lovely Spode crockery. The room was large and very comfortable with lovely heavy drapes and the beds were extremely comfortable.
The pool looked inviting but unfortunately I didn't get chance to use it - maybe next time .
We ate breast and dinner in the hotel both were excellent. The dinner was both amazing quality and value for money and was matched with the superb and attentive service of the staff.

Unfortunately I had to cut my trip short due to unexpected events. The reception staff, one young man in particular, were most understanding and in a professional and efficient manner dealt with the change of arrangements in a most understanding way.
I really enjoyed my short stay and felt that this hotel KNOWS how to care for its clients.
I will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Empire Hotel Llandudno? Share your experiences!