“Great old-style service & comfort” 5 of 5 stars

Empire Hotel Llandudno
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Church Walks, Llandudno LL30 2HE, Wales   |
Ranked #15 of 65 Hotels in Llandudno
Derby, England
“Great old-style service & comfort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

This is a hotel stayed in regularly for business, always good. So good I booked my family in to celebrate my wife's Birthday with my two sons (6 & 10.)

All staff were very friendly, helpful & great with the boys.

Our deal included breakfast, dinner & Sunday lunch. All can be highly recommended.

Pool is newly renvovated and good but gym is excellent.

The hotel exudes old-world charm and how hotels should be.

• Liked — Food & friendly service
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2008

We didn't stay at this little gem but we ate in the restaurant!We didn't book,arrived at 7.30.The last time we set foot in the hotel was 8 years ago so thought it may have lost some of its charm.Wrong!We bought a drink then asked if they had a table.They now have two restaurants ,one overlooking the indoor swimming pool and the older ,more formal dining room.
The charming young man by the pool said that due to a car rally (beautiful ,old cars of all sorts!)that they had a large party in but if we were willing to wait a little while then he was sure he could get us in.So we went back into the lounge where a waiter we recognized from all those years ago approached us asking if we wanted to dine.We said yes and he said he had a table whenever we were ready in the older restaurant!Very nice it looked as well!They are in the process of adding modern touches to it.

We had a fantastic meal ,4 courses for £19.00 and a coffee.Our waiter had been there 31 years as had the others,they worked like clockwork,prompt service with a smile and a chat(Not so long your food got cold,very professional)lovely and hot and the rib-eye steak was the very best I have tasted.I like to think I'm a bit of a foodie,love to cook and like to use local ,fresh products whenever I can...this steak in red wine sauce was to die for!

Back into the lounge and plenty of free coffee,by this time the car folks had arrived and the place had a real buzz to it but the lounge was so restful ,great for people watching so all in all we had a super night!This place has a lot to answer for as far as my husband is concerned!The hotel has one of the largest collections of Russell Flint's watercolours that you will see together.8 years ago ,we fell in love with his work and have collected his prints ever since!

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Wiltshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

The perfect boutique hotel in the American sense. I could go on and on lauding its excellence but rest my case with five spheres. You will not be disappointed.

Allan Watson

• Liked — Decanter of sherry in room
  • Disliked — not applcable
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

This is a hotel that never has a problem filling its rooms. Why? Because its loyal customers return year after year, and are always assured of a warm welcome, the beds are among the most comfortable you will have ever slept on, and the eccentric layout notwithstanding, the rooms are pleasantly furnished with lovely genuine antiques. (i.e. the furniture, although I'm sure the antique guests are genuine enough too.)

It is not without its problems (hence I have only clicked at 4 dots rather than five). Because of the demand for rooms, there is little care that while some of the public areas are being refurbished to bring it out of the 1960s, people are having to wade through builders rubble. A boutique hotel would either close down a section of the hotel, and get in overnight contractors. But this is not a boutique hotel, and thank goodness for that. I feel that many a popular boutique hotel will have closed in a decade or two, and the Empire will still be grinding along, providing old-fashioned courteous attentive service, and comfortable, well furnished rooms at a reasonable price.

I don't know where they got all of their bedroom furniture from, because I have stayed there a few times now, and each room has really gorgeous antique beds, bedside tables, drawers etc. All different, all unique. It really works. It is not some kind of anodyne/insipid "bought for hotel" job-lot, it looks like these pieces are chosen, well loved, and well placed. Some rooms have fantastic big flat screen tvs with a great range of channels. Some don't. It's a bit of a lucky bag really. Most rooms have free wifi access, I never had a problem accessing it. One of my colleagues couldn't. But he had an excuse to watch Sky Sports all night on his massive HD screen instead of catching up on work, so he didn' t mind.

The hotel's public area has a pretty lounge/seating area chocker with leather sofas and newspapers. Although the bar area behind it is trying to be extremely modern and sports bar-ish, which is, in my opinion, out of keeping, and will date very quickly. The loos are lovely, and immaculately kept, as one would expect. The main dining room has character, although it is an ambience that would have appealed more a decade or two ago. Similarly, the food is a bit dated. And a bit over-cooked. But then, most of the people in the dining room prefer it like that, so I can see where the management are coming from.

The poolside food area is a bit strange, although it seems popular. It's lighting makes you feel like you are an extra from Logan's Run. It also put us off using the pool, partly because we felt that baring our ample swimsuit-clad flesh would put people off their dinners, but mainly because we didn't want to be goldfish while people ate. Gawping at us chomping on dinner while we splashed around self-consciously.

Saying all that, I would go there again. I felt totally at home there, totally relaxed. And I don't think I have ever slept on a more comfortable mattress. And the management and the staff were courteous, hard-working, unstuffy and effortlessly charming.

• Liked — Great, friendly international staff.
  • Disliked — Building Works. And the dreadful shared iron that doesn't work and stains clothes.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

My husband & myself have just returned from a wonderful weekend at the Empire. We arrived an hour before the check in time, and we were checked in straight away, and the bell boy came to our car with us, collected our luggage and we were then taken straight to the room. We requested room 38 upon reservation and this request was honoured. The rooms as always are immaculate with all the extras that we have really gotten used to over the last few times we have stayed here, even a glass of sherry on the table for a night cap!!.

The food was fantastic and very filling, there were 5 courses to get through, but we managed!!!. All the staff that we saw were very attentive and friendly.

We can not find a fault with this hotel, and we have booked to go again for Christmas when we checked out this weekend.

If you book this accomodation for a relaxing and touch of luxury weekend or break, you will not be dissapointed.

• Liked — Food and Service & Quality of the Rooms
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2008

I sometimes wonder which planet some guests come from!!! How anyone can knock tis wonderful hotel is beyond me. The staff are courteous, the rooms warm and cosy in winter and air conditioned in summer. We love the food and as I have coeliac condition the chef is always helpful and has even madea sauce just for me so I can have the dish of my choice.

This will be our fifth stay in July and can't wait.

Stayed February 2008
Warwickshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

We stayed here in September 2007, it was very short notice as we had just got married 2 days earlier and decided to have a few days away with the kids after all the mayhem. We first went to the Grand Hotel to see if they had a room, they were damn right ignorant, lucky for us they were fully booked, they suggested the Empire. I walked into the Empire, its was amazing, I thought there is no way they will have room for the kids here, they did, they were brilliant. The kids loved it, the staff made all the beds up for the children, brought more towels up to the room, they were great.

Even at dinner, the staff were so accomodating, they let the kids have what they wanted in the al la carte restaurant (chicken nuggets/pizza). Its one of the best hotels I have been to, I have promised the kids that we will go back as they had a great time. I know its not really a child friendly hotel, and it is more for adults, the staff were brilliant with the kids. We will be back this year, but will book in advance just so they have a warning 3 little monkeys are coming back. (The kids too were very well behaved, they had there own tv room!!!!) Great adventure

• Liked — Rooms and Staff brilliant
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Empire Hotel Llandudno? Share your experiences!