“Nice little Guest House/Hotel on the sea front” 4 of 5 stars

Kendrick
13 Promenade, Llandudno, Wales   |
Ranked #91 of 145 Llandudno B&B and Inns
Wales, UK
“Nice little Guest House/Hotel on the sea front”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The owners were very friendly, I arrived at 1.15pm and my room was ready, I originally booked a twin sea view , then changed to a double with a sea view without hassle. When I arrived I was cold becuase I travelled up on a motorbike from S Wales, I asked if there was a bath in the room and she said no only a shower but there was a bath/shower in the back bedroom, I took this.

Because I already paid for a sea view, I asked for a rasher of bacon or two in leiu of my choice to be downgraded which was agreed, mind you I am sure a rasher of bacon does not go anywhere near the difference in cost.

Comfortable bed, if not a bit firm, adequate space in bathroom, portable tv on wall, view of the back not appealing but has the sun and you can kep an eye your vehicle. Room very clean and tidy.

If there was one gripe, there was a gurgling water sound every so often coming from the bathroom (Room 21) which if you are a light sleeper was annoying.

I can imagine when the warm weather and season is in full swing, this accomodation would be quite popular for people wanting to stroll along the sea front but also stay at the quiet side of the promenade. Behind the guest house there is a couple of food stores, restaurants, a pub and some takeaways of all nationalities.

A walk from the guest house to the Grand Hotel is a good half hour stroll but nice. If you wanted to pop over to Colwyn Bay for the day, it is around 15 minutes by car, 10 mins by motorbike.

In summary, it is a nice clean accomodation, friendly owners, good spot and decent breakfast.

Room Tip: Get a room with a shower and a sea view. Until they sort out that strange water noise in the bathroo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Went to this hotel Easter bank holiday the stay was enjoyable.
We had a sea view room which was very nice and cosy.
Breakfast was nice but only one of each item.
Also breakfast was served early between 8am-9am which didn't allow for a lie in on holidays.
Overall rooms of good quality.
Hotel is situated a walk away from the town or a short taxi ride.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I decided to stay an extra night in Llandudno while visiting my cousin and as I couldn`t stay in same hotel walked a few yards down to `The Kendrick` where I was welcomed in straight away and spent a very enjoyable time there. I was lucky to get a double room with a very comfortable bed and the breakfast was the best I had had while being away from home. I will definately stay there again the next time I`m in Llandudno.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We received a very warm welcome at Kendrick hotel. Lovely, clean, comfy rooms with beautiful views over Llandudno sea front. The breakfast was very good and the hotel is withing walking distance of the shops, theatre, pool and pier.
Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

stayed at the kendrick on the 10th and 11th august we wanted somewhere near the theatre and this was ideal the rooms were spotless and the breakfast was excellent the owners were very friendly and helpful and the staff were very nice would stay here again but would not book room 16 as this was very small

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Had decided to stop in Llandudno for two nights after seeing a Groupon voucher but when discovered no rooms available decided to hunt around for a reasonably cheap one. I discovered this one after a Google search and decided to book. For two nights in room 17 (second floor) overlooking the Snowdonia National Park it was £134 for two B&B, which I thought was reasonable.
When arriving we struggled to find the car park so we parked on the road and found the car park on foot. There are three parking spaces for The Kendrick alongside three for The Grafton. They are fairly big spaces, but its quite difficult to get in to the car park itself from the road. The front of the B&B is very smart, lovely paint job and very smart garden area with a table and chairs.
We were welcomed by Sheila who was very polite and welcoming - very natural and not forced. We noticed that they are selling up as there was an advert for the B&B on the check in desk. This may give some people the impression they don't want to do it anymore, but this certainly didn't come across from the hosts. The lobby is very nicely decorated with lovely comfy sofas.
We went to our room and we were pleasantly surprised. A lovely, fairly large room with nice furniture and a good view. The bed was quite hard, but judging by the fact we both slept like logs this wasn't a problem. There was a single bed in the room too, but there was still plenty of space to move around. The en-suite is quite small, but everything worked brilliantly. The TV was a new style and was a great picture - great to watch the Olympic highlights when coming back from a busy day out. The tea and coffee facilities were great, although it would be nice to have semi-skimmed milk as a happy medium. The room was very clean and tidy. Practically no dust anywhere and it smelt fresh. You could open the window quite wide so you can get plenty of fresh air in the room.
Onto the breakfast. Both mornings it was almost faultless. The dining room overlooks the sea and we were lucky enough to get a table in the window. The selection of cereals is really good and the orange juice very nice. It would be nice to have another type of juice maybe and some other fruit, not just grapefruit. The cooked breakfast was well presented and cooked very well. It all tasted very nice apart from the bacon which was extremely salty. Sheila took the orders and she coped very well. She was polite and chatty - even speaking to us about the Grease musical the night before where she happened to notice us!
The B&B is in a good location regards being on the sea front, but is quite away from the 'main' part of Llandudno. It is about a 10 minute walk into the centre and to the pier but the walk along the promenade is lovely, and we had the weather to suit!
Overall we had a great stay. The two B's (bed and breakfast) were spot on - a real good homely B&B run by genuine people.
We were quite disappointed to leave and would love to stop again. The hosts made us feel very comfortable and nothing was too much for them. I would highly recommend this to anyone stopping in Llandudno.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the sea front, it may be a little more expensive but will be worth it!
orrell
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Just returned from staying overnight in the Kendrick. We were in a "superior double room with sea view" room 23 on first floor at a cost of £84 B+B.

Our welcome was pleasant enough (if maybe a little too business-like) from Sheila. Brian was very friendly. We paid in full on arrival as requested and went to our room. We felt it was very spacious although as previous reviewers have stated, the shower room and WC was rather 'compact and bijou' but everything worked well enough so not really a problem. The tea/coffee tray was basic with a few sachets of nescafe, sugars and little pots of uht milk which is not to our liking so we just got a pint of milk from the shop and used that instead. There was also just one sachet of Hot Choc so we had to share that, now unfortunately the teabags were just awful so we also bought our own tetleys from the shop and used those.

The TV was good although a little small but unfortunately later on when I was trying to keep up with the Olympics the picture kept cutting out due to some kind of interference but not sure what was causing it. The bed was very comfortable and we had a really good nights sleep. The sea view was wonderful. The room itself really was very nice and very clean. This B+B is quite a walk from the town centre and the main 'goings-on' in LLandudno so be prepared for around a 20-25 minute walk albeit quite pleasant along the promenade (well it was for us as it was very good weather while we were there).

The breakfast is served between 8 and 9am and I have to say we were rather underwhelmed. The food itself was nicely cooked however the portions are small and perhaps not good value for money for the £84 price tag. There is a good selection of cereal but the only other thing on offer on the "buffet" was a bowl of tinned grapefruit and some fruit juice ..... No yoghurts or muffins or croissants or anything like that ..... just cereal and tinned grapefruit. I chose to have the 'full' cooked breakfast to follow but without beans or tomatoes (which I dont like) and I recieved on my plate :- 1 rasher of bacon, 1 small sausage (supermarket quality), 1 poached egg and 2 closed cup mushrooms .... my husband had 1 rasher of bacon, 1 small sausage, 1 fried egg and a spoonfull of (what he assures me were) cheap beans. The toast was also unfortunately very thin bread toasted. I would suggest that this is a very meagre portion breakfast with some rather cheap ingredients and definately not value for money and I really think the breakfast offering lets this otherwise lovely and comfortable B+B down. After all the 2 main components are 'Bed' , which was fine and 'Breakfast' which really wasn't (in our opinion).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kendrick? Share your experiences!