“Wonderful guest house - highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars

Plas Llwyd
37 Lloyd Street, Llandudno LL30 2YG, Wales   |
Ranked #63 of 145 Llandudno B&B and Inns
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Wonderful guest house - highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This was our first trip to Llandudno. We were initially drawn to the Plas Llwyd Guest House because of the photograph in the Llandudno brochure. The Victorian architecture is beautiful and the owner, Amanda has clearly spent a great deal of time and money in ensuring that the interior is as far as possible in keeping with the Victorian exterior. We arrived several hours earlier than expected and many guest houses/hotels would have asked us to return later but Amanda was more than welcoming, making us all tea and coffee in the large, beautiful and very comfortable lounge. We were shown to our two well appointed rooms, again every effort had been made to decorate the rooms in keeping with the rest of the house. Everything in the rooms was exactly as advertised on the website - often not the case with other premises. Free WiFi was also available. The beds are wonderfully comfortable and I would say the most comfortable that we have ever had in any guest house/b&b and we have stayed in a great many. The breakfasts were outstanding - ordering the previous night ensured that they were delivered to our table hot and beautifully presented. It is clear that Amanda uses only quality meat, bacon etc. We never availed ourselves of the evening meal as we like to see the surrounding area when on holiday and so never know what time we will arrive back. I am 100% certain however, considering the quality of the breakfasts that the evening meal would be equally delicious. Amanda makes no pretentions to being a qualified chef but I am sure the evening menu would comprise good quality, well cooked, homely food - certainly the delicious smell from the kitchen that often met us on our return is testament to that! I note that one reviewer called Amanda and her family unprofessional - if they regard a warm and constant welcoming presence and, in effect, an invitation to guests to feel part of her family for a week - then they are correct but I would far prefer this to some cold, clinical approach adopted by many guest houses - each to his own I guess. I note the reviewer also commented on being asked to pay on arrival - the note I saw asked people to pay on arrival if they wished to pay by cheque - and who could blame anyone for requesting that in this day and age! Cheques often take five days to clear and by that time some unscrupulous guests could have long left the establishment leaving a bounced cheque - business is difficult enough these days without risking those sort of losses. Jessica, Amanda's daughter was extremely efficient in ensuring our needs were met over breakfast and was always a cheery face in the morning - despite often having had little sleep during the night with her new baby Joshua! He too was a regular cheery visitor to the dining room and again it was lovely to be made to feel very much a part of their family.
It is abundantly clear that Amanda has worked extraordinarily hard to establish this wonderful place. If you want exceptional value for money, excellent food, wonderfully confortable beds and a happy, relaxing and welcoming atmosphere then the Plas Llywd is for you. I would highly recommend it to anyone and if we are ever in the area again will not be looking for alternative accommodation!

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to be equally well appointed
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

It was our first visit to LLandudno and so pleased we chose to stay at Plas Llwyd for 7 nights B, B & Evening Meal in this lovely Victorian house. We received a very warm welcome from Amanda , who provided us with 'proper' coffee, tea and biscuits in the
beautiful guest lounge. We had a large room with a very comfortable king-sized bed, bath robes, fluffy towels, toiletries, tea & coffee facilities, a fridge, hairdryer, Sky TV. The
full Welsh breakfast ( other options were available) and the home-cooked 3 course evening meals were always hot, beautifully presented and delicious. We fully expected to pay for the glass of wine which was offered with our meals but this was included in the price and we thought this was a very nice gesture. Amanda and Jessica are very
warm and friendly and we felt thoroughly relaxed the whole time we were there. We hope to return to Plas Llwyd later in the year. The other guests who stayed at the same time as us (you know who you are!) added to the pleasure of the holiday.
Thank you, Amanda and Jessica. Michele and Nigel.

Room Tip: quiet rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
wolverhampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

we have visited this b&b twice.last year for our honeymoon and this weekend for our anniversary.we were made welcome as soon as we arrived and shown to a spacious,clean room with soft towels and well stocked hospitality tray.all our meals arrived hot and freshly prepared,evening meal was also accompanied with a glass of wine of your choice.plas llwyd is idealy sittuated between both beaches.all the other guests were friendly.amanda and jess make you feel part of the family and they have worked hard to build up a welcoming friendly clean home from home b&b.please do not belive the damming reviews or this accomodation.hope to see amamda and family again next year.karen & glyn jones wolverhampton

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
huddersfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

4 of us have just returned from our fifth stay which says it all! There is always a warm welcome and cuppa on arrival. The rooms are spotless and the food is always ,good with plenty of variety and always hot .The owner and family cannot do enough for you. We cannot understand how anyone can complain. In fact, we have booked to return in August. Anyone over 25 who wants a break in Llandudno should book the Plas Llwyd-you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Llandudno - North Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

I stayed at Plas Llwyd on business a few weeks ago for 3 nights, I don't normally write reviews but I felt I must on this occasion. From the moment I arrived to the moment I left, everything was superb. I was offered tea or coffee on arrival, shown to my room and offered help with my luggage. Amanda is an amazingly friendly person and it soon becomes apparent that she has a genuine love for her business through all the care and attention to detail that goes into it.

My room was huge, single occupancy of a room this size in a hotel would cost a fortune, this was not the case at Plas Llwyd, the bed was probably one of the most comfortable I have slept in and the food was excellent, proper home cooked grub.. just what you need after a days work!

In response to the previous reviewer, I received a confirmation of my booking, there were no notices in the hall containing instructions, and what really made my trip was that I felt like I was staying with friends, a pleasure you do not receive in large commercial hotels, I really think you must have stayed at a different place!

I have found a hidden gem and I will definately be returning when I am next in Llandudno.

Thank you Amanda.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Newcastle Under Lyme
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

I had a very warm welcome and was asked if i wanted a drink on arrival. The coffee was really nice. one thing that struck me was that presentation was very good. The room facilities were excellent. I was glad i had a fridge in my room as you could keep your drinks and a sandwich for lunch cool. Also I appreciated the toiletries in my bathroom. Towels were high quality and there was a robe if you needed it. Other touches i appreciated include a professional hairdryer and access to broadband. My room was made up while I was having breakfast. I disagree with the previous comments and wonder what planet they live on. My appreciation goes to Amanda and her family. Booked to go for the Victorian weekend before I left.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

The problem with this hotel is the fact that they are very unprofessional. When we paid our deposit cheque, there was no acknowledgement of this or confirmation of the booking and so after several weeks of silence, my husband had to ring to check they had received it. We eventually received a scrappy piece of paper written quickly and badly by hand.

On arrival we were greeted with the sight of a hall papered with notices containing instructions about our stay, none of which featured in the brochure advertisement, and immediately we signed in the proprietress asked us for full payment for the week.

I was also disappointed with the food. It was nothing special in itself and if it was warm (it was rarely hot) the plates were cold, and often it was the other way around.

We were usually served meals by the very pretty single daughter of the house who had long shaggy black hair sported a large tattoo on her neck and wore thin strappy lycra tops barely covering her very pregnant stomach, which was very offputting at mealtimes. If we were served by the other waitress and went into the dining room even a minute before 9.am for breakfast we got a lecture.

As expected the bedroom was very Victorian and very clean and well looked after. The DVD player in our room however, worked when it felt like it. There was a huge teddy bear on the bed and every time we moved it away, when we returned it was back there again. Maybe we were supposed to sleep with it between us. The bath was a large free standing one with no hand holds and fairly dangerous to get in and out of.

I admit the family were well meaning but cannot see how this hotel could possibly be awarded five stars out of five. I have given them three for trying

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Plas Llwyd? Share your experiences!