“Excellent hotel...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Merrion Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Llandudno
Merrion Hotel
Ranked #21 of 65 Hotels in Llandudno
Merseyside
“Excellent hotel...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Booked-in my mother for a 3 night stay. Failed to spot a single guest using a mobility scooter/walking frame! Room, with balcony, had stunning views of the seafront.
It was immaculately decorated with large flat-screen t.v. attached to the wall. En-suite was a decent size; shower was excellent. I joined my mum for a couple of evening meals. The quality of the food was fine, with plenty of choice; the service was extremely quick and effecient. Finally, the evening entertainment, was again, excellent. Overall, the Merrion sets the standard other Llandudno hotels should strive to meet.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Simon S.
Thank you for a great review, I am delighted you had a good experience at the Merrion and your positive comments will be passed on to all departments. I am pleased to read you comments regarding the scooters, and the evening entertainment, thank you.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Merrion again in the near future.
Paul Bream.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Huddersfield
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Very nice on the outside, but when entering you have to fight your way through the mobility scooters and walking frames. First impression is of an OAP home, in reality that is not far off. It was a busy bank holiday in May 2013 and we were the youngest at 65. No where to park the car so it was a mile walk, the lift only has room for 4, we had a room on the top floor and had to give up with the lift. By the time it got to the 3rd floor guests from the floors below were already in it. Plan to go 10 mins before and walk down. The food was very good always hot with the staff unable to do too much for you.
After dinner entertainment is laid on every evening, good if you can get a seat, when we had the time we never managed it as too many guest for the seating, therefor can't pass comment on the entertainment. Room was adequate but get one on either 1st or 2nd floor, some have balconies which looked nice. I can understand why the elder generation come back to the hotel as they are well looked after and it's in a great position.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your comments, the mobility scooters are very popular and rented by our guests from one of two companies in Llandudno, we remove them all in the evening to a garage where we charge them overnight, however there can be a number around reception during the day as people come and go, a sign of the times I'm affraid.
The average age of our guests is fairly high admittedly, but the same can be said for the whole of Llandudno, many of these guests have been coming to Llandudno and our hotel for thirty or forty years and quite rightly feel a strong bond with the town and the Merrion.
I am pleased you enjoyed the food and service in the hotel and assure you that we take notice of all our customer feedback.
Many thanks
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My aunt and uncle have been coming here for years which, knowing my aunt, meant it had to be good. She has very high standards and wont even stay at my house! Although Llandudno is not my idea of a great holiday we agreed to stay one night with them on the way to see otehr friends in Wales. It was so lovely we booked in for evening meal, and then booked in for another 2 nights! The food is fantastic; we ate there every night which is normally a pet hate of mine (if you are staying somewhere new you should explore right!?). Our room overlooked the sea and although a little small was well decorated and SPOTLESS. The staff are very helpful and it is in a fab location. Although it is a rather pricey we would stay there again as a treat. If you want loud nightlife this is NOT the place for you as most of the guests are elderly (my partner commented that he had never felt so close to death!) but are all so friendly. Everyone speaks and many people know each other so it has a really nice atmosphere. Definately worth a stay for a relaxing treat style holiday. It has even made me a fan of Llandudno... :-)

Room Tip: Great views at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
I am please you enjoyed your stay with us during the Easter Holidays, I will pass on your compliments to the restaurant ad kitchen and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Following a recommendation from a friend we tried several times to book this hotel but found it full. Given a choice of dates we eventually managed to fit in two nights. At first we felt disappointed as the twin room 112 was very narrow and cluttered with too much furniture for the space available. We kept falling over chairs! The large flatscreen television was mounted high on the wall and really the only place to view it was from the beds. It felt dismal, as from the beds one could only see a rather dreary coloured wallpaper, which was ripped in one part.
However this was the only downside and after organising ourselves better and moving the chairs to behind the door we made ourselves more room.. The balcony was pleasant and looked out over the the front of the hotel to the sea.
We found two problems, a lavatory seat that kept falling down and a non-working lamp. Both were dealt with quickly.The beds were very comfortable and the room warm. The shower room was nicely fitted with an excellent shower unit and good toiletries. A towel rail over the radiator would be a good idea and I did not like the towel rack placed over the lavatory for hygiene reasons.
All the members of staff were friendly and helpful. We found there was an excellent choice on the menu; my meal 'char grilled medallions of steak with pepper sauce' was particularly delicious. This hotel couldn't be better positioned for exploring Llandudno and we found a parking space on each evening.
We shall certainly hope to revisit, but would try and book a better room.

Room Tip: Our room with a small balcony was narrow and a bit claustraphobic. I should imagine the rooms with b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us, I have noted your comments about room 112 and I will see if we can make any changes, as we are an old building, all the rooms are different is size, please give us as much notice when booking as possible and we will make every effort to find the most suitable room.
I am pleased you enjoyed you Steak Medalions in the restaurant, I will pass your comments on to Gareth in the Kitchen.
Paul Bream
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Perfect place to stay food service atmosphere all very good and made our stay in wales very pleasant indeed. Centrally located for the best parts pf the town Well done.room was impeccable I will definitely stay here again

• Stayed April 2013
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you very much for the review, I am delighted you had such a nice holiday, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Paul Bream
Chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is about my sixth visit to this hotel and it still has the same excellent welcome homely greeting when you walk into the reception All the staff at this hotel will go that extra mile to do anything for you during your stay to make it a wonderful experience.
The food is excellent and there is always plenty of choice on the menu at night, so much so that I sometimes find it hard to decide what to have.
The bedrooms I have stayed in at this hotel have always been very comfortable and have had a sea view.
Many people who visit this hotel for the first time will often book again for the following year as they have had such a wonderful stay and want to return.
The reputation for this hotel is a credit to Paul and Garth Bream who are now the third generation of the family to run this hotel.
The Welsh tourist board should be proud to have such an excellent hotel as the Merrion on their seafront in such a prime position that looks out on to wonderful surroundings.
Thank you to all the staff and management for such a lovely stay.
If you are going to stay in Llandudno then be sure to book your stay here. See you all again soon and hopefully I will be ringing to book a stay for later in the year. Thank you again to all

Room Tip: Manula,Jamey and Vicky during the day are always happy to help you with making a booking for your st...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind words, I will pass on your comments to all the staff mentioned and assure you that we will try and maintain the standards you have come to expect from us.
See you again soon.
Staffordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

A lovely, friendly, comfortable hotel. The food is second to none and plenty of choices.....so much so......you have to study the menu all day to actually decide but whatever you choose, rest assured you will not be disappointed.

The hotel has a very relaxing feel and it is not antiquated......like so many hotels in Llandudno. I must mention that the towels provided are "top of the range" fluffy, white and so soft. Such luxury. I was glad to see that they cater for dogs......at a small charge per day.....not needed by us, but worth knowing for you pet lovers.

Although my late father stayed at the Merrion many times, I can confidentally say that he had the time of his life.......after spending many holidays abroad, he always came home to the Merrion. He was well looked after and we need not have worried at him being on his own. His last visit was in his 90th year. Thank you to the staff at the Merrion......he certainly lived the dream.!

Try the Merrion, you will not choose anywhere else in Llandudno.

Room Tip: First and second floor rooms with the larger windows overlooking the sea are you best choice if avai...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
merrion-owner, Owner at Merrion Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Great review thank you. So pleased you enjoyed your recent stay despite the cold weather, I will pass on your comments to the staff both front and back of house, we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Paul Bream.

Been to Merrion Hotel? Share your experiences!